Shocking piece of anti drone “Journalism”

Reaction score
Read this in a crap rag called the Buxton Advertiser. What an idiot this man is.

Alarming number of near-misses involving drones and planes in Derbyshire's skies

Phil Bramley

Published: 06:54
Saturday 26 January 2019

A plane destined for East Midlands Airport came within 100ft of hitting a drone over Derbyshire, a new study has revealed.

The incident was one of more than 300 near-misses between drones and aircraft across the UK even before the major disruption seen at Gatwick and Heathrow this winter.

There has been a steep rise in near-miss accidents involving drones and aircraft
There has been a steep rise in near-miss accidents involving drones and aircraft
This includes 15 incidents across the East Midlands and five in Derbyshire

Drone sightings brought 36 hours of chaos to Gatwick Airport in the run-up to Christmas, with runways closed and 1,000 flights affected in what police described as a “deliberate act” of disruption.

Heathrow was also forced to ground flights after drone sightings in early January.

But pilots had begun to report narrowly missing drones in the sky from 2010 onwards, analysis of hundreds of official reports shows.

The most serious Derbyshire incident took place in 2016.

At nearly 6,000ft, the drone was being flown far above legal height limits and a board which examined the near-miss said “chance had played a major part” in a crash being avoided.

Police were notified, but the operator of the drone could not be traced.

The UK Airprox Board’s official report into the incident, on October 1, 2016, reveals the runway at East Midlands had been flooded that day and many pilots were opting not to land there.

The Boeing 737 was in a holding pattern as a possible diversion was looked into.

It adds: “The drone was spotted by both pilots almost instantaneously, it was red and black in colour and between 50 to 100cm in size.

“However, due to the close proximity there was no time to take avoiding action. The drone passed down the left-hand-side of the aircraft at the same level and approximately 30m from the wing.”

The board rated the risk of collision as category A, the highest risk rating, making it a ‘serious incident’.

Since the shutdowns at Gatwick and Heathrow, the Government has faced criticism that the events were foreseeable and more should have been done to prevent them.

But the Department for Transport has said there are already laws against such malicious acts.

Aviation Miniser, Baroness Sugg, said: “The actions of these drone users were not only irresponsible, but illegal. The law could not be clearer that this is a criminal offence and anyone endangering others in this way faces imprisonment.

“Airports have measures in place to counter this threat. The Government is also increasing police powers to clamp down on drone misuse, and extending no-fly zones around airports to ensure our skies are safe.”

Two-thirds of the near-collisions seen in the UK so far involved commercial passenger flights, with drones frequently being flown above regulatory height limits or within restricted airport zones.

Irresponsible drone operators are rarely tracked down, the UK Airprox (Aircraft Proximity) Board documents show.

DERBYSHIRE INCIDENTS INCLUDE:

May 28, 2018: Six nautical miles west of East Midlands Airport involving a DHC8 commercial transport aircraft. Rated ‘C’ a ‘significant incident’.

September 19, 2017: Involving an A321 commercial transport plane over Derbyshire. Rated category ‘A’. a ‘serious incident’.

November 29, 2016: Incident over Ladybower Reservoir, near Hathersage, involving a C130 Hercules military transport plane. Rated as category ‘B’, a ‘major incident.

The pilot said his crew initially assumed it was a bird, but it quickly became apparent that the object was stationary, suggesting a collision course and they were forced to change course to avoid it. The drone was close enough for the crew to see the detail of the drone including the individual blades.

October 1, 2016: Incident north of Derby, involoving a B737 plane. This was rated ‘A’, a ‘serious incident’. The drone operator could not be traced.”

October 2, 2014: Incident over Rushup Edge, Derbyshire, involving a paraglider and a quadcopter. Rated as ‘A’, a ‘serious incident’. The paraglider said that each time he changed direction the quadcopter tracked the change and followed him. He added that ‘the hazard of a collision with his thin canopy-to-harness lines caused serious concern’.

Please forgive me if I am missing your point about - "the crap rag" and "what an idiot this man is..."

Seems to me he has done a great deal of research and come out with a factual article.
Does not sound idiotic what he is saying.

The real idiocy is the behavior of the irresponsible imbeciles who are breaking the drone pilots code/ethics/rules - and are spoiling things for all the responsible pilots who respect and fly by these rules....

Don't blame the messenger......

Please forgive me if I am missing your point about - "the crap rag" and "what an idiot this man is..."

Seems to me he has done a great deal of research and come out with a factual article.

The real idiocy is the behavior of the irresponsible imbeciles who are breaking the drone pilots code/ethics/rules - and are spoiling things for all the responsible pilots who respect and fly by these rules....

Don't blame the messenger......
Gatwick was never proven to be a drone incident. Some of the incidents almost seemed impossible. The speeds of the aircraft and having little time to spot a small drone. How small is your drone at a 1,000 feet? How fast is the aircraft traveling? you do the math. The noses of the aircraft were being smashed in by drones. Oh no, they found out , it was suction that was doing it. It use to be UFO, now it's drone.

They usually don't come back with an article that they found out, it wasn't drone. It doesn't make interesting new, also it makes them look like poor reporters. One sided new is fake news. They are making you think there is something that isn't. So, it just keeps getting people riled up. Drones aren't bringing down planes. We're still waiting for the big one.

Yes I can add 2 that with this..sea gulls again
Screenshot_20190606-171631.jpg
Screenshot_20190606-171802.jpg

This was published in January 2019. The thrust of the piece is the “large amount of near misses in Derbyshire”. In fact the last serious incident actually took place in 2016. I totally agree about the imbeciles flying illegally, thoughtlessly etc, but pieces like this just encourage the know it alls who come up to you challenging you when u do get the opportunity to fly, because they take it as fact “because we read it in the Advertiser”. There is no opportunity to comment or remark on the piece either.

I personally can’t wait for the introduction of registration of drones, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to lose.

The crap rag remark is fact, it’s the Buxton Advertiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's done very little research at all and is just copying the same rubbish that lots of journalists who wouldn't know better are doing.
He's taken some numbers from the Airprox reports but he's made the mistake of assuming that each "drone" sighting report is an actual incident involving an actual drone.
Yes, there are lots of sighting reports and the number is increasing but a large number of the reports are not drones at all, just like a lot of the UFO sighting reports in the 1970s were not flying alien spaceships.

I'd recommend reading some of the report referred to in post #4 to get an idea of just how misleading the increasing number of reports from the Airprox summaries are.

Here's an example of an actual report that's included in those numbers:
Here's the report of a typical dubious "drone" sighting report (where even the flight crew don't seem to believe it was a drone).
The incident was reported in November 2018 at an altitude of 11000 feet.

The A320 pilot reports he was descending into Belfast and passing FL111 when the FO spotted an object at 12 o’clock, low and appearing to move quickly towards them. They checked TCAS to see whether it was a military fast jet, but nothing was showing.
As it got closer the Capt had his hands on the controls ready to disconnect auto-pilot and take avoiding action and the FO covered the sidestick. The object passed down the right-hand-side of the aircraft and details were passed to ATC.

The Capt suspected it was a weather balloon, thought he saw a tethering line and described it as silver in colour.
The FO thought it was a drone, and described it as dark silvery blue, spherical with two small circular mechanisms on the top of the object, like drone rotors, although thought that on reflection a drone at that altitude was unlikely.

He noted that it was difficult to assess the size or the proximity to the aircraft, certainly it was very close to the wing-tip and within 75m of the cockpit. As it got closer they could see that it would pass clear although the time from first sighting to passing was only about 6 seconds.

Reported Separation: 50ftV/ 75m H
Reported Risk of Collision: Medium

Cause: The Board were unable to determine the nature of the object reported and so agreed that the incident was therefore best described as a conflict in Class D.
Risk: The Board considered that the pilot’s overall account of the incident portrayed a situation where safety had been much reduced below the norm to the extent that safety had not been assured.

And that goes into the summary that journalists keep referring to as evidence of a large increase in near misses with irresponsibly flown drones.
This then contributes to increase the number of reported "drone" sightings because it becomes a common perception that the sky is full of increasing numbers of irresponsibly flown drones.

Reactions: Djminkee
Alarming number of near misses involving drones and planes in Derbyshire skies

5 in Derbyshire, the last of which (In DERBYSHIRE ) was almost 2 years ago. So 5 of an alleged 300? 1.7% of the total hardly equates to an “alarming number”, especially considering it’s directly under the flight path for Manchester Airport. I totally agree that 1 near miss is 1 too many and the people responsible are idiots and don’t appreciate that they really are ruining a great hobby for many people, who are responsible.

Cheers for the contributions, good to see other views.

Alarming number of near misses involving drones and planes in Derbyshire skies

5 in Derbyshire, the last of which (In DERBYSHIRE ) was almost 2 years ago. So 5 of an alleged 300? 1.7% of the total hardly equates to an “alarming number”, especially considering it’s directly under the flight path for Manchester Airport. I totally agree that 1 near miss is 1 too many and the people responsible are idiots and don’t appreciate that they really are ruining a great hobby for many people, who are responsible.

I still am of the view that it’s lazy, scare mongering journalism.

Cheers for the contributions, good to see other views.

Read this in a crap rag called the Buxton Advertiser. What an idiot this man is.

Alarming number of near-misses involving drones and planes in Derbyshire's skies

Phil Bramley

Published: 06:54
Saturday 26 January 2019

A plane destined for East Midlands Airport came within 100ft of hitting a drone over Derbyshire, a new study has revealed.

The incident was one of more than 300 near-misses between drones and aircraft across the UK even before the major disruption seen at Gatwick and Heathrow this winter.

This includes 15 incidents across the East Midlands and five in Derbyshire

Drone sightings brought 36 hours of chaos to Gatwick Airport in the run-up to Christmas, with runways closed and 1,000 flights affected in what police described as a “deliberate act” of disruption.

Heathrow was also forced to ground flights after drone sightings in early January.

But pilots had begun to report narrowly missing drones in the sky from 2010 onwards, analysis of hundreds of official reports shows.

The most serious Derbyshire incident took place in 2016.

At nearly 6,000ft, the drone was being flown far above legal height limits and a board which examined the near-miss said “chance had played a major part” in a crash being avoided.

Police were notified, but the operator of the drone could not be traced.

The UK Airprox Board’s official report into the incident, on October 1, 2016, reveals the runway at East Midlands had been flooded that day and many pilots were opting not to land there.

The Boeing 737 was in a holding pattern as a possible diversion was looked into.

It adds: “The drone was spotted by both pilots almost instantaneously, it was red and black in colour and between 50 to 100cm in size.

“However, due to the close proximity there was no time to take avoiding action. The drone passed down the left-hand-side of the aircraft at the same level and approximately 30m from the wing.”

The board rated the risk of collision as category A, the highest risk rating, making it a ‘serious incident’.

Since the shutdowns at Gatwick and Heathrow, the Government has faced criticism that the events were foreseeable and more should have been done to prevent them.

But the Department for Transport has said there are already laws against such malicious acts.

Aviation Miniser, Baroness Sugg, said: “The actions of these drone users were not only irresponsible, but illegal. The law could not be clearer that this is a criminal offence and anyone endangering others in this way faces imprisonment.

“Airports have measures in place to counter this threat. The Government is also increasing police powers to clamp down on drone misuse, and extending no-fly zones around airports to ensure our skies are safe.”

Two-thirds of the near-collisions seen in the UK so far involved commercial passenger flights, with drones frequently being flown above regulatory height limits or within restricted airport zones.

Irresponsible drone operators are rarely tracked down, the UK Airprox (Aircraft Proximity) Board documents show.

DERBYSHIRE INCIDENTS INCLUDE:

May 28, 2018: Six nautical miles west of East Midlands Airport involving a DHC8 commercial transport aircraft. Rated ‘C’ a ‘significant incident’.

September 19, 2017: Involving an A321 commercial transport plane over Derbyshire. Rated category ‘A’. a ‘serious incident’.

November 29, 2016: Incident over Ladybower Reservoir, near Hathersage, involving a C130 Hercules military transport plane. Rated as category ‘B’, a ‘major incident.

The pilot said his crew initially assumed it was a bird, but it quickly became apparent that the object was stationary, suggesting a collision course and they were forced to change course to avoid it. The drone was close enough for the crew to see the detail of the drone including the individual blades.

October 1, 2016: Incident north of Derby, involoving a B737 plane. This was rated ‘A’, a ‘serious incident’. The drone operator could not be traced.”

October 2, 2014: Incident over Rushup Edge, Derbyshire, involving a paraglider and a quadcopter. Rated as ‘A’, a ‘serious incident’. The paraglider said that each time he changed direction the quadcopter tracked the change and followed him. He added that ‘the hazard of a collision with his thin canopy-to-harness lines caused serious concern’.

Man I agree. Its really sad because I have been flying drones for about 15 yrs now and I have watched this silly media driven agenda get worse and worse. Now that the FAKE NEWS has created a following of ignorance and fear this whole anti-drone thing has become an animal that will ultimately pass more laws that will only serve to restrict law abiding citizens as most control measures do these days.

I knew that we had lost this battle when I saw everyone running out to get part 107 certified which has really done nothing but create a divisive elitism in a group of hobbyist that used to get-a-long and were on the same team. Now I am better and more responsible that you and you are better, more responsible and smarter than him and on and on. This is what CCW has done to the gun community.

The cherry on top is the drone companies like DJI and the likes THAT WE SUPPORTED from the beginning are now throwing us hobbyist under the bus in hopes of landing big Government sales contracts with Police, Fire and GEMS agencies.

We are all flying on barrowed time now and I think the best thing to do is to fly as responsibly as you can, DO NOT sign anymore **** papers or get certified on anything and once you've crashed your last drone (and you will crash it some day) simply hang up the sport and move on to something that's more free and fun. Taking silly tests, getting certifications, signing your liberties away and constantly having to defend yourself against arguments conjured up by ignorant SHEEP just doesn't sound like a very fun hobby to me any more.

Just my opinion!

Here in West Virginia, I'm not bothered much. I believe the more remote, the better the remote. “ flying”
When you get a bunch of people crammed together, They start making a bunch of rules. Western Maryland is more like West Virginia, but because of Baltimore’s problems, they make the state laws which adversely affects the lives of the more sparsely populated parts of the state. It’s even interesting that population is also the political divide. So big news influences the population which is all together in the big cities.
Pittsburgh is 1 1/2 hour from me. I go there and enjoy the culture, museums and some great food amidst the traffic and rhetoric. I’m always happier when I get home and look off my back porch and see nothing but valleys and forest.

Last edited:
Walk through life with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Don't just look at any news outlet as factual. especially an individual written account.
Enormous claims require enormous proof, I don't see him backing it up with scientific or actual aviation report numbers.
Just the amount of key words used to manipulate a strong reaction is obvious, let's see:
Alarming
disruption
hitting
near-misses
chaos
deliberate
serious
crash
instantaneously
highest risk rating (ok, that's more than one word, but the thing is littered with these [Language Removed by Admin])
malicious
illegal
irresponsible
criminal
endangering
Jeez, I only got part way through to get this [Language Removed by Admin]
[Language Removed by Admin]
Personally, it wreaks of exaggerations, hearsay, half truths, and fear marketing.

Walk through life with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Don't just look at any news outlet as factual. especially an individual written account.
Enormous claims require enormous proof, I don't see him backing it up with scientific or actual aviation report numbers.
Just the amount of key words used to manipulate a strong reaction is obvious, let's see:
Alarming
disruption
hitting
near-misses
chaos
deliberate
serious
crash
instantaneously
highest risk rating (ok, that's more than one word, but the thing is littered with these turds)
malicious
illegal
irresponsible
criminal
endangering
Jeez, I only got part way through to get this steaming pile of excrement.
This guy is so full of crap, he's getting pink eye from the inside.
Personally, it wreaks of exaggerations, hearsay, half truths, and fear marketing.
My arse would probably have an allergic reaction if I used it for what it's worth.
Wow what's with the language, surprise this post still here,,,,you seem a very colorful character and being a public forum I think you cross the line a little here,
C,mon young folk read these posts aswell so tone it down and enjoy it or simply don't post,please have a happy day......also no disrespect to you intended with this post sir

Let's stay on track here.
[Language Removed by Admin]
This was my edited version.
You should hear the other versions.
With a mastery of creative writing, coupled with the ability of removing all boundaries, you can't even imagine.
Now run off and watch kids addicted to extreme violence video games, cuz that's ok.
Now carry on, back on track....oooh, bad article, yeah!

Let's stay on track here.
You let crap go ahead of me, but turd, arse, pink eye are out of bounds, got it.
This was my edited version.
You should hear the other versions.
With a mastery of creative writing, coupled with the ability of removing all boundaries, you can't even imagine.
Now run off and watch kids addicted to extreme violence video games, cuz that's ok.
Now carry on, back on track....oooh, bad article, yeah!
No I not let crap go ,,if someone else word like that I would say something,,kids can play whatever but this phantom pilots app,,I can imagine and I do have sense of humour but no one wants to hear that ******* talk,,,you post is just fine untill you mention that bottom part which not really necessary,,,,again I mean no disrespect and you can say what you want but how long you last here talking like that,,,I not want to argue but you come to the right person if you do,,we all in the same boat here,again your post is fine just the wording inappropriate for the audience ;)

Hey I thought that great picture,,no idea who name refers to so I hope I not insult you

Quite the contrary, I appreciate that.
Your character is dressed as the character to which I am referring.
Over 40 years ago, there was a comedy actor named Super Dave Osborne.
He played a Daredevil who constructed the most elaborate and comical stunts imaginable, only to have them go horribly awry.
My friends have since referred to me as Super Dave.
No, I don't consider myself super by any means.
It's only comical that this guy was continually crushed, mangled, shredded, burned, etc.
And it was family friendly content.
Our older members will know.
And insult?
I don't think that's possible, but thank you for the consideration.

He played a Daredevil who constructed the most elaborate and comical stunts imaginable, only to have them go horribly awry.
It's only comical that this guy was continually crushed, mangled, shredded, burned, etc.
And insult?
Ah yes I saw some pics of him when searching before
A human coyote ha,,sorry all for going off topic here,big coffee time
And take care out there :)

Reactions: Super Dave
And insult?

'Super Dave' was a character, his real name is actually Bob Einstein.
(His brother is Albert Brooks.)

I remember him from The John Byner Comedy Hour and Bizzare.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl