Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

ladykate said:
ianwood said:
That's what I was talking about with the program mix. Just like flying in the real world. Coordinated turns.

Would that have to be initiated some way - as in turned on and off? This is a square airframe and we all use that to our advantage. Sometimes we don't want it to act like real world flying.

On a 3 way switch most likely.

Pos 1 = normal
Pos 2 = wide arc (adds rudder when aileron is used).
Pos 3 = tighter arc (adds more rudder when aileron is used).

If I can make it adjustable using a knob, I could add another type of mix:

Pos 1 = normal
Pos 2 = adjustable arc (adds rudder when aileron is used).
Pos 3 = adjustable climb/descent angle (adds elevator when throttle is used).

In this case, the adjustment knob would likely be the same for both. Now, I want to get home to try this. Sitting at a desk in Chicago.

Quadro, just saw your post on your incidents. Sorry to hear about it. Are you shutting down by holding the throttle down or are you using the two sticks in a CSC gesture? You should shut down only with the throttle straight down. Throttle is not not effected by the triple rate function so it should work in all rates.

As for your second incident, I have no idea why that happened but it shouldn't be cause by the rate setting. Did you flip into failsafe by accident or change flight modes?

Love the idea of the ARC flying.

SB SC swap , I'd certainly give it a try and I guess would get use to it as after all it is a feature I never had on the stock TX :D

keep up the great work you have done with providing the community with this profile Ian.

ianwood said:
On a 3 way switch most likely.

Pos 1 = normal
Pos 2 = wide arc (adds rudder when aileron is used).
Pos 3 = tighter arc (adds more rudder when aileron is used).

If I can make it adjustable using a knob, I could add another type of mix:

Pos 1 = normal
Pos 2 = adjustable arc (adds rudder when aileron is used).
Pos 3 = adjustable climb/descent angle (adds elevator when throttle is used).

Either would be outstanding improvements to the 14SG cockpit!

Is it possible to program RD to apply variable amounts of left or right roll? I think that would allow you to fly a level arc in either direction by dialing interactively some amount of left yaw with LD, and some amount of right roll of the quad with RD (or right yaw plus left roll to circle the other way). Getting the LD/RD balance proportioned manually while flying would allow you to gradually spiral inward, spiral outward, or strive for a stable radius. That's my theory anyway. A derivative of my current POI arc method of flying right stick by hand with a fixed amount of yaw controlled by LD.

And then add your unused slider to dial up or down some small amount of throttle to that combo, and I think you start to draw some fairly smooth mathematical curves in the sky, i.e., POI cork screw up or down.

Kelly

I just got the 14sg. The slider controls the gimbal. Is it possible to have slider and a switch (for auto-tilt) at same time?

ianwood said:
ianwood said:
Quadro, just saw your post on your incidents. Sorry to hear about it. Are you shutting down by holding the throttle down or are you using the two sticks in a CSC gesture? You should shut down only with the throttle straight down. Throttle is not not effected by the triple rate function so it should work in all rates.

As for your second incident, I have no idea why that happened but it shouldn't be cause by the rate setting. Did you flip into failsafe by accident or change flight modes?
[/quote]

Hi Ian:

I landed with the Rate switch still engaged (through my own carelessness) and tried to shut down using the CSC gesture. Within a couple of seconds, the P2 took off straight up. I'm guessing some combination of events that include the Rate switch and the CSC gesture invoked failsafe mode. I'll try to re-train myself to use throttle straight down from now on.

This wasn't the first crash, nor was it the last with this particular P2. That final, fatal crash happened last week in a Arizona boulder field (crushed NAZA, punctured GPS umbrella, etc.). I was able to transplant the RX to a backup P2 that had been flying (but not far) with one severed antenna. Motors and ESCs will likely also be recycled at some point in the future.

My thought on the second incident is that after startup I accidentally engaged the Rate switch and once the P2 was airborne, I simply didn't have enough pitch to maintain headway against wind gusts that were well in excess of of 20mph. But I easily could have been in ATTI as well, which certainly would explain what happened. Except for the fact the P2 was being blown across a state highway (albeit a very lightly travelled one in central AZ), it really wasn't very noteworthy.

In any event, I've made two consecutive road trips (NYC-NJ-DE-MD-DC-VA-NC-SC-GA-FL and NYC-PA-OH-IL-IN-MO-KS-CO-UT-AZ-NM) using the V4 profile while stopping several times a day to fly. Sometimes the wind direction is favorable and I can film while drifting in ATTI. Mostly, I use GPS with the Rate switch engaged. Once I finish closeups and ascend to a couple of hundred feet, the variable yaw knob is a routine part of almost every flight. I'm always careful to get it back into the OFF position!

Despite many attempts, I still can't fly graceful arcs. In fact, I crashed the backup P2 while circumnavigating a sandstone chimney in Arches National Park recently. There's just too much going on at once for me to keep track of it all. At least the chimney crash provided a good excuse to migrate to the H3-3D gimbal.

From time to time, I look wistfully at the Wookong "point of interest" demo and fantasize about flying ascending arcs around hoodoos, chimneys and church steeples. Can't wait to see what you come up with in the way of an 8FG/14SG profile. The specs you describe would certainly cover about 99% of what I'd like to do.

And thanks again for sharing the V4 profile. It's been a game changer for me.

I love the idea of the POI feature! I was always looking for that kind of shots :) And with the smooth radius setting with a knob that would be perfect!

Hi Guys.

I need some guidance.
I have read through the entire thread but have not seen the procedure to accomplish what i want to do.
I purchased a Futaba 8FGS for my P2 (Non Vision) I have already installed the Throttle Stick return to center spring kit and smoothed out the Left and Right side levers.

I want to initially set it up just like the DJI Transmitter. I am still using the stock P2 Receiver.

My P2 is running the latest firmware updates and I use it in NazaM Mode.
I have the Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal.

Before I bind it to the P2 I would like to do the initial programming and settings on the Futaba. I assume the Futaba needs to be in Aircraft Mode?
I want to get used to flying with the Futaba before i start changing the advanced settings like ianwood has done.

This is what I need help with:
1. I want the Futaba to recognize the throttle being centered when I am not touching it.
2. I want the Switch SA to act just like it does on the stock transmitter. Up=ioc OFF Middle=CL Bottom=HL
3. I want Switch SD to: Up=GPS Middle=ATTI Bottom=FS
4. I want the Right Side Lever to control Tilt on the Zenmuse. Tilt speed I am just setting in P2 Assistant Software.
5. I don't want any timer beeps when i'm flying
6. All the other switches on the Futaba or LD and RD Knobs I want deactivated regardless of their position.
7. I want to save the new settings as Phantom 2 on the Futaba.

I will eventually start changing and adding assignments as I get comfortable learning and using it.

Any walkthroughs and tips would be of great help.

Thanks in advance
XR

havasuphoto said:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8358
Read the instructions posted in the first post-download the file(s), put them on an SD card, and keep reading.....it's all right there on page 1.
For the rest-you're going to have to wade through the menu's and experiment. It's best that you learn to program the remote yourself-as everyone prefers slightly different settings.

Ok Thx.
I'll check that out.

Xrover said:
Hi Guys.

I need some guidance.
I have read through the entire thread but have not seen the procedure to accomplish what i want to do.
I purchased a Futaba 8FGS for my P2 (Non Vision) I have already installed the Throttle Stick return to center spring kit and smoothed out the Left and Right side levers.

I want to initially set it up just like the DJI Transmitter. I am still using the stock P2 Receiver.

Before I bind it to the P2 I would like to do the initial programming and settings on the Futaba. I assume the Futaba needs to be in Aircraft Mode?
I want to get used to flying with the Futaba before i start changing the advanced settings like ianwood has done.

1. I want the Futaba to recognize the throttle being centered when I am not touching it.
2. I want the Switch SA to act just like it does on the stock transmitter. Up=ioc OFF Middle=CL Bottom=HL
4. I want the Right Side Lever to control Tilt on the Zenmuse. Tilt speed I am just setting in P2 Assistant Software.
6. All the other switches on the Futaba or LD and RD Knobs I want deactivated regardless of their position.

I will eventually start changing and adding assignments as I get comfortable learning and using it.

Thanks in advance
XR

OK, here we go!

You should do the programming on the Futaba after you link it to the Phantom, this way you can see what you're doing.

First, create a new model with the default airplane settings, name it as you like.
Then, bind the Phantom receiver with your futaba transmitter --> turn on your Futaba and then the Phantom, press and hold the bind button until it blinks red, then wait till it turns green. It's now connected to the Futaba. (for now you can turn the Phantom off)

Time to set it all up! Go to "Linkage menu" --> "Function". Unselect the trim for the first 4 channels by changing it to "--" (it's not necessary but it's good to do so). Then, scroll down to the second page and select "RS" for channel 5, "SA" for channel 6 and "SD" for channel 7 (all go in the "CTRL" column).
Once that's done go back into the linkage menu and go to "Reverse" and change channels 6 and 7 to "REV".
Then go back to linkage menu, and go to "End Point". Go to channels 6 and 7 and change BOTH to 135/79/79/135.

After that, connect the Phantom to your computer and run the assistant software. Go to the appropriate tabs and calibrate your sticks, check if they travel in the right directions (you will probably have to reverse T and E). Calibrate also the X1 channel, check if the Flight Mode switches and IOC work correctly. (change also the 3-rd position in the flight mode to FS if you want it there)

That's it! Hope that helps :)

Kicerk52 said:
Xrover said:
Hi Guys.

I need some guidance.

Thanks in advance
XR

OK, here we go!

You should do the programming on the Futaba after you link it to the Phantom, this way you can see what you're doing.

First, create a new model with the default airplane settings, name it as you like.
Then, bind the Phantom receiver with your futaba transmitter --> turn of your Futaba and then the Phantom, press and hold the bind button until it blinks red, then wait till it turns green. It's now connected to the Futaba. (for now you can turn the Phantom off)

Time to set it all up! Go to "Linkage menu" --> "Function". Unselect the trim for the first 4 channels by changing it to "--" (it's not necessary but it's good to do so). Then, scroll down to the second page and select "RS" for channel 5, "SA" for channel 6 and "SD" for channel 7 (all go in the "CTRL" column).
Once that's done go back into the linkage menu and go to "Reverse" and change channels 6 and 7 to "REV".
Then go back to linkage menu, and go to "End Point". Go to channels 6 and 7 and change BOTH to 135/79/79/135.

After that, connect the Phantom to your computer and run the assistant software. Go to the appropriate tabs and calibrate your sticks, check if they travel in the right directions (you will probably have to reverse T and E). Calibrate also the X1 channel, check if the Flight Mode switches and IOC work correctly. (change also the 3-rd position in the flight mode to FS if you want it there)

Awesome! Thank you.. i will give it a go.

Kicerk52 said:
Xrover said:
Hi Guys.

I need some guidance.

Thanks in advance
XR

OK, here we go!

Then, bind the Phantom receiver with your futaba transmitter --> turn on your Futaba and then the Phantom, press and hold the bind button until it blinks red, then wait till it turns green. It's now connected to the Futaba. (for now you can turn the Phantom off)

Thank you!!
I got it all working as you described.
A few small issues though. Hopefully you can explain how to make the corrections.

After calibrating the sticks (and yes I did need to reverse T and E) And the sticks are centered, A Channel shows 0 which is good.
E Channel shows -1
T Channel shows -40
R Channel shows 1
They are all in the Green but not showing 0 when centered as the DJi TX did.
X1 is working fine
U Channel and X2 Channel show slightly different numbers when changing the switch modes but the Assistant software does recognize the correct positions.

Thoughts?

Xrover said:
After calibrating the sticks (and yes I did need to reverse T and E) And the sticks are centered, A Channel shows 0 which is good.
E Channel shows -1
T Channel shows -40
R Channel shows 1
X1 is working fine
U Channel and X2 Channel show slightly different numbers when changing the switch modes but the Assistant software does recognize the correct positions.

Thoughts?

The -40 you need to fix. It's likely the install of the centering spring. You can fix it in the configuration of the T8FGS but better to open it up and see if you can get it to physically sit a or near zero. You can power it up while open if you're careful. Mine did the same and I tinkered with it until it centered to 0 and it's been good ever since.

The 1 and -1 are nothing to worry about as are the slightly different values for the U channel. As long as the value puts it in the right box corresponding to the switch position, it's OK.

For the rest, I haven't gotten around to testing the arcs yet but it's high on my list. Was busy installing and writing up the H3-3D. Now have the P2 with me in Chicago so will see if I can get it done one of these afternoons this week.

Quadro, sounds like you've been doing some hard core flying. Curious to know in your travels if you've seen differences in the the compass hook as you've covered a lot of ground. Will message you.

Xrover said:
Thank you!!
A few small issues though. Hopefully you can explain how to make the corrections.

E Channel shows -1
T Channel shows -40
R Channel shows 1
X1 is working fine

Thoughts?

Slight off zero is fine, it's just very sensitive. When I release the stick it doesn't anways go to 0, sometimes 2, sometimes -4, but that's acceptable.

The Throttle is showing -40 because you installed the return spring - your Futaba was initially calibrated when it wasn't there, so they could't do it as precise to fit it, but don't worry. Calibrating the Sticks in the Futaba is very easy! :)

Go to "System menu" (double click "sys"), --> "H/W Set" --> "Calibration". Then select "J3-J4" and follow the instructions.
After that, connect your Phantom to the Assistant and check the values again :)

Is there any reason for me to change from PH2 stock receiver to the one i got with my t8fg?
In the first post they say that the range is very good with the stock one, but do i miss some functions if i choose to use the stock receiver?

At end, is the profile made in this guide for the stock receiver, og a futaba receiver?

The profile is for the Futaba Transmitter, doesn't matter what receiver you use. You program everything on the Futaba so the functions don't depend on the receiver. I use the stock receiver, it works very well.

ianwood said:
Xrover said:
E Channel shows -1
T Channel shows -40
R Channel shows 1
X1 is working fine

Thoughts?

The -40 you need to fix. It's likely the install of the centering spring. You can fix it in the configuration of the T8FGS but better to open it up and see if you can get it to physically sit a or near zero. You can power it up while open if you're careful. Mine did the same and I tinkered with it until it centered to 0 and it's been good ever since.

The 1 and -1 are nothing to worry about as are the slightly different values for the U channel. As long as the value puts it in the right box corresponding to the switch position, it's OK.

For the rest, I haven't gotten around to testing the arcs yet but it's high on my list. Was busy installing and writing up the H3-3D. Now have the P2 with me in Chicago so will see if I can get it done one of these afternoons this week.

Quadro, sounds like you've been doing some hard core flying. Curious to know in your travels if you've seen differences in the the compass hook as you've covered a lot of ground. Will message you.

Ian,
What exactly do i tinker with? The tension screw or?
Also, should i remove the tension plate?

Also i notice that when i carefully just try to add throttle stick movement the R channel value will make a slight change. Originally i thought i was accidentally pushing it as i was moving the throttle but kept trying to make sure i wasn't. The R channel is way to sensitive when centered. Just blowing on it gives a value change.

Thx!

Kicerk52 said:
Xrover said:
Thank you!!

E Channel shows -1
T Channel shows -40
R Channel shows 1
X1 is working fine

Thoughts?

Slight off zero is fine, it's just very sensitive. When I release the stick it doesn't anways go to 0, sometimes 2, sometimes -4, but that's acceptable.

The Throttle is showing -40 because you installed the return spring - your Futaba was initially calibrated when it wasn't there, so they could't do it as precise to fit it, but don't worry. Calibrating the Sticks in the Futaba is very easy! :)

Go to "System menu" (double click "sys"), --> "H/W Set" --> "Calibration". Then select "J3-J4" and follow the instructions.

Where are the instructions you mentioned for adjusting J3-J4?

Thank you.

Xrover said:
Kicerk52 said:
Xrover said:
Thank you!!

E Channel shows -1
T Channel shows -40
R Channel shows 1
X1 is working fine

Thoughts?

Where are the instructions you mentioned for adjusting J3-J4?

Thank you.

I mean follow what you see after you click "J3-J4" :)
When you click the above you will see "set neutral position" on the top - let the spring do the job so just hold "RTN" for one second to confirm. Then you will see "Set endpoint" and a blinking dot in the bottom right corner. Place the stick in that spot, then you will have to do the same in the top left corner. After that, you will see "completed" which indicated that the calibration was successful.

Thanks Kicerk52 and Ian !

I opened up the TX and played around with the gimbals a bit but that didn't help. Just holding the Futaba and and moving it around would cause the numbers to change a bit.

I removed the friction tensioner from the throttle plate and that seemed to help.

I ran through both the J3-J4 and J5-J6 calibrations a few times. After that i calibrated the sticks in the P2 Assistant software.
Sticks center much closer to the center green bar.

The numbers keep changing everytime I move a stick around but as of right now with the TX sitting still I have:
A=5
E=0
T=0
R=3

There is such a sensitive area around the stick centers that I can just blow on one and the number will change.

Is there a setting in the Futaba that will 0 out the stick even if it is a hair away from center?
There doesn't appear to be a true center on the sticks when I let go of them. They are super sensitive.

Thanks..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing