SERVICE LIFE?

Hard to say. Some new owners only get a few minutes.[/QUOTE]
===============================================================

Very funny. I don't think it is "hard to say" when a legit. question is asked. Obviously, running the durn thing into a concrete wall at full tilt may reduce its service life.

How about a more adult answer - surely there are folks in here who have a rough idea for how many operating hours they have been using their Phantom 3 (mine's a "standard") and if there have been failures, at what point did they occur - what failed, and what did you do about it.

I believe any experienced pilot will agree that it is "hard to say". Most of the time, longevity is cut short due to some sort of pilot error, even if an experienced pilot. And if you don't like my answers, simply ignore me.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlashBuddy
[QUOTE "I believe any experienced pilot will agree that it is "hard to say"..... And if you don't like my answers, simply ignore me.[/QUOTE]

......................................................................................................
There is some truth to your comment - for example, in "real" aviation some engines (from either of the two major aircraft powerplant mfgs - Lycoming & Continental ) have failed right "out-of-the box". Others have been trouble-free way way beyond TBO. But these are extremes.

I am curious to know what the typical experience is with these marvelous electronic miracles. No need to get hostile - what is YOUR experience ?

FAA licensed commercial remote pilot with 3 years of flying experience and multiple sUAS modifications to make sure my bird doesn't fail as a result of poor manufacturing. Anything beyond that will be my fault. Honestly, I'm not getting hostile at all after arrogantly being accused of providing a childish response. If occasional responses containing some levity annoy you, boy are you in the wrong forum. Have fun with your machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlashBuddy
I think it depends how much of use the phantom 3 standard has... I bought mine in December 2016... I have only so far 33 flights in 5 months and no issues so far. But I read in this forum that some pilots have 300 to 400 flights from the same drone. They pretty much can last a long time if you take care of it.

MapMaker55 is right in preparing you for some obtuse humour now and then, I personally thrive on it.
As for what to expect from issues with your PS3, if you do all the pre and post start checks, manage your batteries correctly and fly responsibly, you should be fine. I've flown well over 500 klms with my P4 and probably another 100 klms with my original PS3 with the only problems being related to glitches in either the dji or litchi app giving me occasional grief. They are a fairly robust platform and good value for money IMO, most of the problems you will read about here are related to pilot error.

Reactions: Pharm
PH,
You joined today and ask a question which will at best yield anecdotal responses.
These are not durable goods by definition.
Most folks have no previous r/c experience and never operate them more than a few months due to mistakes, upgrades, or cost of repair. My record holder so far is my P2 which I've owned since mid'14 equating to about 20 hours and counting using 5 batteries and 2nd set of props.
This is just my experience and is likely below average of those who only fly Phantoms.
I fly several r/c aircraft and a Phantom is just one I commonly use. With the tech turn-over DJI has been delivering service life isn't often an issue as you'll move on to new or other MRs relegating your current model to the Man Cave display shelf before it actually fails.

As long as it's not too personal, I'm up for it. My mum reckons I'm the most immature 58 year old on the planet and my wife thinks I'm just stupid.....

I'll add: not insulting too.

They are surprising reliable, as has been suggested keeping an eye out for issues (shell cracks, prop damage, battery cell balance and flight time etc) and remembering these are really cheap mass produced toys will serve you well. There seems to be some that have issues out of the box and others that fly incident free. They do vary, quality control and consistency in manufacture dont seem to be high priority.

PH,
You joined today and ask a question which will at best yield anecdotal responses.
These are not durable goods by definition.
Most folks have no previous r/c experience and never operate them more than a few months due to mistakes, upgrades, or cost of repair. My record holder so far is my P2 which I've owned since mid'14 equating to about 20 hours and counting using 5 batteries and 2nd set of props.
This is just my experience and is likely below average of those who only fly Phantoms.
I fly several r/c aircraft and a Phantom is just one I commonly use. With the tech turn-over DJI has been delivering service life isn't often an issue as you'll move on to new or other MRs relegating your current model to the Man Cave display shelf before it actually fails.
20 Hours and 5 batteries!!! So each battery lasts 4 hours or about 12 flights! That is very, very expensive! Or, did you mean you have 5 batteries for it and they are still working?

image.jpeg
This will affect your service life, just listened to the radio and a farmer lost his Mavic Pro to one of the feathered locals. He seemed philosophical about it and his last photo used as evidence that not everything runs according to ze plan.

View attachment 82728 This will affect your service life, just listened to the radio and a farmer lost his Mavic Pro to one of the feathered locals. He seemed philosophical about it and his last photo used as evidence that not everything runs according to ze plan.
Well, I feel for the mavic owner but if you have to have a last pic that isn't a bad one. I have been in a Robinson heli with a curious wedgetail, sort of excitement you don't need.

Well, I feel for the mavic owner but if you have to have a last pic that isn't a bad one. I have been in a Robinson heli with a curious wedgetail, sort of excitement you don't need.
I have very few wedgies or similar down my way but encountered many on the Nullabor when riding my bike to Philip Island, not a pleasant experience. The farmer seemed fine with it all and was sending his Mavic off to get repaired to do it all again. As for the heli experience, anything smaller than a 777 is a kite.

20 Hours and 5 batteries!!! So each battery lasts 4 hours or about 12 flights! That is very, very expensive! Or, did you mean you have 5 batteries for it and they are still working?
It is an estimated number. I still have 2 of the 5 and 1 of those is just about done. After flight times drop to about 9-10 min I look to retire them.

As I said I fly many aircraft so I won't get the most extreme life from the battery(s). 50 cycles or so

It's a hobby. Hobbies cost money.

Have you ever priced r/c nitro fuel?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen