SD Won't Format

Reaction score
I bought a used Phantom 3 Standard without an SD. I bought a Lexar 64Gb at Target and I can't get it to format in the Drone. I also tried to format it on my Mac but it still won't work. Any Ideas?

If card won't format in camera or on Mac .... then card is faulty .... get it exchanged ...

Nigel

I would say the same. If you can, try formatting it on a PC and see if that helps. If not, take it back.

and then report back here please results ?

Wish luck - but I think its back to shop and swap out for replacement.

Here's a page that explains it all ...

What’s the Difference Between FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS?

The only real difference FAT32 to EXFAT is that the file size can be bigger with EXFAT ... FAT32 restricts to 4Gb files ... but FAT32 is still able to work with huge drives .. so a 64Gb card is no problem.

Nigel

and then report back here please results ?

Wish luck - but I think its back to shop and swap out for replacement.

Here's a page that explains it all ...

What’s the Difference Between FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS?

The only real difference FAT32 to EXFAT is that the file size can be bigger with EXFAT ... FAT32 restricts to 4Gb files ... but FAT32 is still able to work with huge drives .. so a 64Gb card is no problem.

Nigel

Thanks I'll try the FAT32 as it was an option. I tested the card by just dragging a few files and apps onto it then ejecting, reading and erasing

Rule of thumb would be anything that is below 32 GB should be formatted to Fat32, anything higher would be ExFat.

and ? ..... given that Fat32 can work up to 8TB ... ?? Ref : link I posted earlier.

Main point of EXFAT is to give FAT32 similar to NTFS but still be compatible with most gear that expects FAT32 ...

Its choice of user ... makes very little difference in this DJI world as all you get is recorded length limits change ...

Nigel

and ? ..... given that Fat32 can work up to 8TB ... ?? Ref : link I posted earlier.

Main point of EXFAT is to give FAT32 similar to NTFS but still be compatible with most gear that expects FAT32 ...

Its choice of user ... makes very little difference in this DJI world as all you get is recorded length limits change ...

Nigel
Ahh ok I'll reformat on the Mac and try again

No luck, used EXFat. Still says invalid card and won't format it through the Dji app either.

Did you try FAT32 ?

Sounds like a dead card ...

I just bought highest speed SANDISK available in local shop ... 32Gb ... worked straight out of wrapper ...

I hear rumours that its wise to not buy Verbatim .... for some reason some are having trouble with those.

But did you try FAT32 in a PC with default settings ? It may be of use to you in PC work ?

Nigel

I just bought highest speed SANDISK available in local shop ... 32Gb ... worked straight out of wrapper ...

I hear rumours that its wise to not buy Verbatim .... for some reason some are having trouble with those.

But did you try FAT32 in a PC with default settings ? It may be of use to you in PC work ?

Nigel
I tried FAT32 first

Go change it ...

Nigel

I had this same issue with my Sandisc 32g , high $$ ones , Drone said card was full , MacBook said nothing on it but a couple of file folder , but looking at the info on the card , it read all space was used . Looked around the net & said to use Mac's disc tools to reformat , erased it & the Mac then said it couldn't read it , but it showed up as a ghost or light figure in the drive , I believe I hit control & it asked me to name it , I did & I reformatted with the exFAT , put it in the Drone & linked & the Drone Go app said I needed to format it & let it do it & all is good , took fireworks video for ten min. with it .
I'm not too good with all the PC lingo , so I may be describing it wrong or not familiar with the right wording , but what I did worked & most said the Card was bad , just saying .

I had this same issue with my Sandisc 32g , high $$ ones , Drone said card was full , MacBook said nothing on it but a couple of file folder , but looking at the info on the card , it read all space was used . Looked around the net & said to use Mac's disc tools to reformat , erased it & the Mac then said it couldn't read it , but it showed up as a ghost or light figure in the drive , I believe I hit control & it asked me to name it , I did & I reformatted with the exFAT , put it in the Drone & linked & the Drone Go app said I needed to format it & let it do it & all is good , took fireworks video for ten min. with it .
I'm not too good with all the PC lingo , so I may be describing it wrong or not familiar with the right wording , but what I did worked & most said the Card was bad , just saying .
I did try using the Mac disk utilities to erase and reformat but no luck. My new card, one recommended by Dji will be here Friday

I buy my cards at local shop over counter and no problem ....

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT