satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

TomWolves said:
Well good for you guys!, but I didn't pay $1,300 so I can play with it,rather my hobby is photography.Guess I would have built my own uav if I wanted to play rather than fly.My point was, is if it is under warranty send it in and have them fix it on their dime,as consumers we payed for that warranty.What it boils down to, if your happy with it GREAT,!!!!!! Good for you, but for those whom are dissatisfied send it in before you mess with it or you warranty will be void.

Is DJI "fixing" it when you send it in? If so, does anyone know "how" DJI is fixing the issue?

As far as what is wrong with my P2V+, DJI receives it today.I will post here once I know what they do.All I know is they are suppose to escalate the process to the head of the line do to the fact it has been in to UAVDirect since October 7th and they couldn't fix it.DJI will probably just send me a new one,but I am just guessing .

yawnalot29 said:
TomWolves said:
Well good for you guys!, but I didn't pay $1,300 so I can play with it,rather my hobby is photography.Guess I would have built my own uav if I wanted to play rather than fly.My point was, is if it is under warranty send it in and have them fix it on their dime,as consumers we payed for that warranty.What it boils down to, if your happy with it GREAT,!!!!!! Good for you, but for those whom are dissatisfied send it in before you mess with it or you warranty will be void.

Is DJI "fixing" it when you send it in? If so, does anyone know "how" DJI is fixing the issue?
Not sure, but a good guess would be they would put the same shield in as the version 2

I sent my Phantom Visi+ to DJI in LA yesterday because of the GPS issue. I am hoping to have it back by the new year...They had quoted a four to six week turn on the "repair". I'll post what they did, if anything once I get it back.

TomWolves said:
As far as what is wrong with my P2V+, DJI receives it today.I will post here once I know what they do.All I know is they are suppose to escalate the process to the head of the line do to the fact it has been in to UAVDirect since October 7th and they couldn't fix it.DJI will probably just send me a new one,but I am just guessing .

If the issue is with poor shielding, sending a new one would still send back the same problem would it not?

yawnalot29 said:
TomWolves said:

If the issue is with poor shielding, sending a new one would still send back the same problem would it not?
the newer version has a bigger copper shield

I wish DJI would just sell the larger shield and other related mods they made in a kit. My credit card is in hand and ready.

msinger said:
I wish DJI would just sell the larger shield and other related mods they made in a kit. My credit card is in hand and ready.
screw that. What they need to do is proactively give every dji Phantom owner one to self install or call a recall. This is one reason why I probably won't buy from dji again unless they save face.

eyecon82 said:
msinger said:
screw that. What they need to do is proactively give every dji Phantom owner one to self install or call a recall. This is one reason why I probably won't buy from dji again unless they save face.
I haven't had problems with connecting to satellites. However, I'm interested in taking advantage of any improvements that DJI makes to the Phantom.

msinger said:
eyecon82 said:
msinger said:
I haven't had problems with connecting to satellites. However, I'm interested in taking advantage of any improvements that DJI makes to the Phantom.

You may have not had any, but a lot of certainly did due to a crappy in house shielding job.

eyecon82 said:
You may have not had any, but a lot of certainly did due to a crappy in house shielding job.
So, those people who have no problems should not be allowed to purchase a kit?

Then, I DEMAND that DJI send me these fixes immediately. Those filthy con artists! They should have known the existing shielding would not have worked everywhere :evil:

msinger said:
eyecon82 said:
So, those people who have no problems should not be allowed to purchase a kit?

Then, I DEMAND that DJI send me these fixes immediately. Those filthy con artists! They should have known the existing shielding would not have worked everywhere :evil:
Lol. Regardless if you have the problem or not, they should send out new shields. It could only help build customer loyalty.

That would be kind of them. But, it would probably just set an unreasonable precedent.

Eyecon82, I am with you, DJI should have a recall, and make whole.I am thinking about calling them Monday, and just ask for my money back.The Phantom 2 Vision Plus is not what they advertise (reliable out of the box flight ) at least mine wasn't and I followed ALL the steps.

I emailed DJI on this issue. Their response was to do compass calibration. What a joke DJI support is :?

My email:
"On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Andrew Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,
I just got my Phantom 2 a few weeks ago and I am having trouble acquiring enough GPS satellites to fly. I usually only get around 5 or so. I download an iOS app to see if there were enough satellites and it said there were over 14. Do you know of any tips or ways to get more satellites?
Thanks,
Andrew"

Their response:
"Dear Andrew,
Please read the user manual for the details, main points as below:
1. Rapidly flip the S1 switch from the "fully up" to the "fully down" positions for at least 10 times
2. Once the LED flight indicators change to display solid yellow, the compass calibration mode has been initiated
3. Holding the phantom horizontally, rotate it 360 degree on its center axis until the LED flight indicator switch to solid green
4. Then while holding the phantom vertically, rotate 360 degree on its center axis until the LED Flight Indicators light disappears
The GPS calibrate is done.

Best Regards,
DJI Innovations"

I have heard back from DJI on my repair. They received the bird on 11/14. I got an email today 11/18 stating...

We have replaced the top shell, GPS, GPS shield, Vision+ video transmitter, and the Vision+ 16 pin cable for your Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The firmware has been updated to version 3.8, was test flown, and is fully operational.

Your unit has been sent to our shipping department. You will be sent a FedEX tracking number in a separate email once your unit has been shipped out.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact DJI customer support.

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible

DJI North America

About an hour later I received my fedex tracking number. Should have by Thursday. Some how I feel like I won the dji cs/ repair lottery. Less then a week turn-around. Really hope this fixes the gps drop problem.

Hi, I've looked around the forums but couldn't see this answered.

I noticed yesterday that when I take off with 7/8 satellites and fly about for awhile everything is good, but as soon as I hit record video the number of satellites drops by about 2, so I get 5/6 instead of 7/8. Ofc when it only has 5 it starts to drift in the wind, in my case out towards the sea! Is this a known thing that I just haven't noticed until yesterday?

Thanks!
Has any thought about the voltage going to the gps. I read somewhere that the Naza has a bec good for 3 amps. With wifi and camera maybe the voltage drop is just enough.

Re: satellites drop slightly when recording video

Can anyone suggest which of these might be fit for purpose? The EM absorbers sound great but I have no idea about this kind of thing.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M ... ingSheets/

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M ... Absorbers/
Also check the bandwidth absorbtion. The one I saw was only good to 1ghz. You need 2.4 for the wifi interference. I am not sure what frequency the video recording generates.

Hi Guys, just to alert others reckless like me, I was too careless doing the mod and let a little pieace of aluminium stucked to the GPS cable, which I left in contact with the GPS board.. then you can imagine what happend.. , I Had to buy another GPS Module.

Well, when my second GPS Module arrived, I've done the mod again (carefully this time) and it works very well.
Anyway, is better lose just one GPS Module than the entire P2V+ in a flyway. So it worse!! ;)

Hi Guys, just to alert others reckless like me, I was too careless doing the mod and let a little pieace of aluminium stucked to the GPS cable, which I left in contact with the GPS board.. then you can imagine what happend.. , I Had to buy another GPS Module.

Well, when my second GPS Module arrived, I've done the mod again (carefully this time) and it works very well.
Anyway, is better lose just one GPS Module than the entire P2V+ in a flyway. So it worse!! ;)
Which mod are you referring to? Shielding over top/GPS or anti-static shielding underneath the unit?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT