satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

Yeti22 said:
Ackbar, out of curiosity, do you shield the bottom of the copper with anything insulating? I ask because my mods only seem to work when I *don't* insulate the tape.

I have the same experience. When I insulated my alu shielding with gaffer tape the effect was gone. When I went back to uncovered alu-tape I have NO gps drop during recording. I have no good explanation... I have alu-tape on the gps, the cord and as much as possible on the plug.

Some vendors must be wondering why so many folks are buying alloy /copper sheilding tape maybe Dji has shares in the company's and thats why they wont address the issue .

aartsf said:
Fellow forum members,
Firstly, this threat is marked as SOLVED while about 1/4 of the reports on the alu mod or cp mod posts report no succes. In my opiniun whe can't conclude that the issue is realy resolved.
Secondly, as satelite countdrop while starting video seems the common denominato in the issue, I wonder whether we are on the right track trying to shield of the gps unit. Would it not be more logical to shield of the camara/gimbal unit by putting alu or copper static isulation between the bottom of the bird and the camara/gimbal unit? Has anyone tried this?
Thirtly, as the video recording is processsed by the wifi, would it be possible that the problem might orginate from interferance from the wifi unit and we should thinking about shielding that unit.
Thanks in advanve for any repons.
FA

I did the mod firstly with kitchen foil but replaced with copper tape in front of the GPS module. This improved sat signal and shortened sat lock, however upon recording above 720p 30fps the sats would drop out and sometimes the P2V+ went in and out of ATTI which was very annoying.
I managed to solve this by using an anti-static bag (I had one from my graphics card still in the box) which I cut to size and placed between the gimbal and the body.
I taped this in position and was astounded by the results. Even more sats with a quicker sat lock upon start-up, and absolutely no sat drop in all recording modes.
This mod was done about a month ago and I have done around 10 flights since with sat lock taking around 20-30 seconds now even in valleys! No drop out of sats at any point so I feel much more confident when flying and can concentrate on pics, and video.
Funnily enough due to this issue I had to start with it gave me valuable practice in ATTI mode.

If you have an antistatic bag lying around it is well worth a try even if you have already done the foil mod as it may improve things further as it did for me.

Regards, Jep

jeppeson2001 said:
I managed to solve this by using an anti-static bag (I had one from my graphics card still in the box) which I cut to size and placed between the gimbal and the body.
Got a picture?

jeppeson2001 said:
aartsf said:
Fellow forum members,
Firstly, this threat is marked as SOLVED while about 1/4 of the reports on the alu mod or cp mod posts report no succes. In my opiniun whe can't conclude that the issue is realy resolved.
Secondly, as satelite countdrop while starting video seems the common denominato in the issue, I wonder whether we are on the right track trying to shield of the gps unit. Would it not be more logical to shield of the camara/gimbal unit by putting alu or copper static isulation between the bottom of the bird and the camara/gimbal unit? Has anyone tried this?
Thirtly, as the video recording is processsed by the wifi, would it be possible that the problem might orginate from interferance from the wifi unit and we should thinking about shielding that unit.
FA

I did the mod firstly with kitchen foil but replaced with copper tape in front of the GPS module. This improved sat signal and shortened sat lock, however upon recording above 720p 30fps the sats would drop out and sometimes the P2V+ went in and out of ATTI which was very annoying.
I taped this in position and was astounded by the results. Even more sats with a quicker sat lock upon start-up, and absolutely no sat drop in all recording modes.
This mod was done about a month ago and I have done around 10 flights since with sat lock taking around 20-30 seconds now even in valleys! No drop out of sats at any point so I feel much more confident when flying and can concentrate on pics, and video.
Funnily enough due to this issue I had to start with it gave me valuable practice in ATTI mode.

If you have an antistatic bag lying around it is well worth a try even if you have already done the foil mod as it may improve things further as it did for me.

Regards, Jep
Please show pictures of the install.

eyecon82 said:
jeppeson2001 said:
aartsf said:
Fellow forum members,
FA

Regards, Jep
Please show pictures of the install.

What effect would there be on the wifi antennae inside the battery compartment. I would think that there would be an decrease in signals if a shield was placed over this area. Has anyone tested what if anything happens to rx and tx with the foil/copper placed under the aircraft. If there isn't any decrease in this area, I would design a foil shield for the Phantom and give it to all the people that have already purchased shields from me. Just send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and they will be in the mail.

RB

saltire said:
No effect on wi-fi with sheilding put under the quad or on top of the camera .

After reading this thread, I decided to try out the undercarriage mod with adhesive backed foil. I think I finally got a pretty good fit. I would try it out but guess what "IT IS SNOWING"! I'll be adding this to my other shielding on our website. I am also glad to see that DJI has finally put extra shielding behind the gps module. Something many of us have known for a long time.

RB

Attachments

• IMG_20141105_162849.jpg
    IMG_20141105_162849.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_20141105_155043.jpg
    IMG_20141105_155043.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 527
RedBaron said:
saltire said:
No effect on wi-fi with sheilding put under the quad or on top of the camera .

After reading this thread, I decided to try out the undercarriage mod with adhesive backed foil. I think I finally got a pretty good fit. I would try it out but guess what "IT IS SNOWING"! I'll be adding this to my other shielding on our website. I am also glad to see that DJI has finally put extra shielding behind the gps module. Something many of us have known for a long time.

RB

Just try it indoors. Just don't put on the props.

With this mod, I can get a GPS lock indoors as well, as it should be

I'm curios to see if the undercarriage mod would help?

Did the foil mod yesterday. On a clear day I was getting 4-5 sats from my backyard. Yesterday was very overcast and I was picking up 5-6 within 15 seconds. hoping for good weather today to do some testing.

i tried to use food or kitchen aluminium foil... my sat is 0, please explain why its aluminum foil anyway right?

I sent my phantom to UAV DIRECT back in the first of October.Due to the fact when I flew my p2v+ and turned the video on I would go from 9 satellites to 4 satellites .They gave up on it as they couldn't fix the problem, Jake said "it is possessed", so now it is on it's way to DJI in California.Mined you that I haven't even flown this p2v+ an hour. Two of those flights it nearly got away on me.You all should send your phantoms in for warranty work if you are having problems losing satellites when turning on video, instead of messing with opening up and all, as this will void the warranty.It seems to be a major issue that they should make good on.Now they came out with a new "Inspire 1" ?????? DJI should make sure the Phantom line works first.

TomWolves said:
I sent my phantom to UAV DIRECT back in the first of October.Due to the fact when I flew my p2v+ and turned the video on I would go from 9 satellites to 4 satellites .They gave up on it as they couldn't fix the problem, Jake said "it is possessed", so now it is on it's way to DJI in California.Mined you that I haven't even flown this p2v+ an hour. Two of those flights it nearly got away on me.You all should send your phantoms in for warranty work if you are having problems losing satellites when turning on video, instead of messing with opening up and all, as this will void the warranty.It seems to be a major issue that they should make good on.Now they came out with a new "Inspire 1" ?????? DJI should make sure the Phantom line works first.

You might as well get comfortable opening your Phantom up. You are going to have to modify something sooner or later and this is the easiest thing to do in my opinion

Well good for you guys!, but I didn't pay $1,300 so I can play with it,rather my hobby is photography.Guess I would have built my own uav if I wanted to play rather than fly.My point was, is if it is under warranty send it in and have them fix it on their dime,as consumers we payed for that warranty.What it boils down to, if your happy with it GREAT,!!!!!! Good for you, but for those whom are dissatisfied send it in before you mess with it or you warranty will be void.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl