Rth

There is no way for the Phantom to return back to the home point when it automatically switches to ATTI mode. Instead, it'll auto land at its current location.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Now if you put it in ATTI mode yourself, that RTH does work because you still have GPS.

The Phantom will automatically switch to ATTI mode if it's not able to connect to enough GPS satellites or if it's not able to use the compass data for some reason.

Mine keeps switching to ATTI and GPS for some odd reason only for a few seconds and yet I have 15-19 sats showing. Is this common. Don't want to start a new thread on this basic question

Neon Euc

Will they automatically switch to atti mode?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes that's why Msinger wrote that in his post.
If birdie loses it's gps it will kick over to ATTI, it happens but it is not normally an issue unless RTH is needed. If that happens and you need to come back home, use the pointer in the map view to orientate yourself and fly using that until you can spot her and regain a bit of composure. More often than not gps mode will re-connect anyway, it might be worth checking your altitude and going upwards a smidge.

Mine keeps switching to ATTI and GPS for some odd reason only for a few seconds and yet I have 15-19 sats showing. Is this common. Don't want to start a new thread on this basic question

Neon Euc
It happens yes, watch your drone as you fly and you might never have noticed. No doubt the software knows why it happens, electrical interference is possible and not necessarily obvious and its relative to where the drone is not yourself.
I was flying the other day and it just wouldnt stay in gps mode,it was flicking back and forth, i never lost control but it was annoying. I was probably too close to some power lines or at least the local supply to a large chicken farm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil56 and Neon Euc
It happens yes, watch your drone as you fly and you might never have noticed. No doubt the software knows why it happens, electrical interference is possible and not necessarily obvious and its relative to where the drone is not yourself.
I was flying the other day and it just wouldnt stay in gps mode,it was flicking back and forth, i never lost control but it was annoying. I was probably too close to some power lines or at least the local supply to a large chicken farm.
Thanks for the reply. I doesn't say it on screen (I didn't notice to be honest) but it's only when I check healthy drones it's listed as a regular occurrence but it handles fine and always RTH and does litchi missions so more curious the worried about it [emoji14] [emoji4]

Neon Euc

There is no way for the Phantom to return back to the home point when it automatically switches to ATTI mode. Instead, it'll auto land at its current location.

I guess that's what happened to me! I didn't calibrate compass, flew it 250m did a RTH and it auto land. It did give out multiple warnings of strong magnetic interference - that's why I did RTH ... a second or two after it started to auto land I lost total contact with AC. It landed on a 3 storey house roof, tumbled and got caught in the roof gutter... lucky it didn't fall to the ground! I now always calibrate... if an error occurs, move to an area where there's no interference

I know its recommended to calibrate the conpass before every flight, but you supposedly do not have to if you fly in the same area as the last flight. I have made it a habit to calibrate before every flight. Is this what others normally do? It only takes a few seconds and I feel safer doing it.

It goes against what other users said on another forum.
Yes, some people have a different opinion (like most things). I wouldn't recommend going against that guide though. It's the most complete source of information for calibrating the compass.

It's actually not recommended. You can find the best compass calibration advice in this guide.

It's interesting you say this. And also I've read others say the same as you.

But the manual does say calibrate every time you fly and every time you go to a new location ?

But the manual does say calibrate every time you fly and every time you go to a new location ?
Yes, it does. However, there is no reason to re-do the compass calibration before every flight if you have a good calibration.

Yes, it does. However, there is no reason to re-do the compass calibration before every flight if you have a good calibration.

I agree, i guess it's just DJI covering there own backsides.

I think so.

You really won't hurt anything if you do a proper calibration each time. It's not recommended though since a bad calibration can cause erratic flight and/or a crash and a good calibration is not forgotten (which makes redoing it each time pointless).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe