Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Russair said:
I have had three flights. First had a lot of vibration. I fine tuned the adjustment for the filter kit etc. Last flight was a lot better.
Install went fine. 7th channel works great, just got to get the hang of it. This video is latest has a few shakes here and there?
Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KkTl_t_r8

Yes, adjust the thumbscrews on the dampers. Having loosened them a bit as they "felt" tight at the advised 6-8 turns, I found that it introduced vibration. Counter-intuitively (to me, anyway!) tightening it back up killed all the vibration. Make sure the rubber dampers are pulled right down so they touch the base of the thumbscrew and then pull the whole unit down so the rubber captive bolts at the top are flush with the top of the dampers. Depending on the age and elasticity of your dampers you may need to tighten up more or less. I found that putting a pencil mark on each thumbscrew made it a lot easier to actually get the 6 or so full turns you need on each one, and having done that it's more finger-and-thumb twiddling required than you think for a full revolution!

The other thing to check is the state of your props. If any are a bit long in the tooth try swapping them out for a new DJI original as that's another source of vibration independent of the gimbal.

EricT said:
Simon, how do you turn down the yaw gains in the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant program?

Haven't got it in front of me, but I think it's from the BASIC tab, under GAIN (someone will correct me if I'm misremembering). % figures you can adjust are there. Best to change a small amount (like 10%), check fly, then drop again if necessary, check and repeat until you get the feel that you want.

Pull_Up said:
DKDarkness said:
Ever since I saw your unboxing, I've been dying to know why to RotorPixel gimbal is so heavy? Had it been an american gimbal I could understand it, as the american engineering tradition is to make things last: " Nice sporst car, but it weighs 2 tons (or some obscure way of messuring things) - we' ll just fit a 6.9 liter (or square inch) V8 in it, it'll drive just fine in a straight line!"

The Dronexpert gimbal is made of plastic (and is probably more radiolucent) and will break on hard impact? The RotorPixel is made of bricks, and will break anything in its path on impact (due to inertia) :lol:

No perfect solution so far? Any news on user confirmed flight times on the RotorPixel?

It's been too windy to fly this week and I've had a 3 year old with a fractured ankle to deal with, so no more testing. I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow morning - if there isn't any nice sunshine then I'll go through a couple of batteries and test out wifi range compared with my personal previous results (I have modified my range extender with a helical). I'll also re-fit my Flytrex so give accurate range and flight time data - I'm bound to forget to set a timer.

The gimbal is certainly not fragile at all. The only weak point is the plastic camera mount, everything else should take as good a beating as the main aircraft - and you need something to give in a crash to avoid all the impact energy going into the camera itself. However one of the main factors for me in choosing this gimbal was the future-proofing. The powerful motors and ability to add 3rd axis and GoPro (and possibly other) mounts on it means that I can carry this over to another airframe. Much as I do love my Vision right now I'm certainly starting to casually look around and think what the next aircraft might be next year, and should that come to pass I'll return my Vision to stock and keep it as the ideal "charge and go" machine for casual AP/AV.

What other aircraft are you considering Pull_Up?

MattOlieman said:
My new Central Circuit Board just arrived, now the fun begins and soon I'll be flying again. Without my RP gimbal, for now. :(

That was pretty quick service, at least you'll be flying again. How long before your Gimbal gets returned ?

RCRookie said:
MattOlieman said:
My new Central Circuit Board just arrived, now the fun begins and soon I'll be flying again. Without my RP gimbal, for now. :(

That was pretty quick service, at least you'll be flying again. How long before your Gimbal gets returned ?

Got the Central Circuit Board changed out, had to go to the assistant and do an upgrade, tested the P2V with my camera (without props), all is working. I'll do a flight test tomorrow. :) :) :)

I haven't heard from Keri again, I hope to see a replacement part soon.

Well, bit the bullet and bought a P2. I have a few projects in the upcoming weeks along with 2 that I have been postponing (waiting for P2V gimbal) and decided that I can't keep postponing. Looking forward to having it and the vision to work with once the rotorpixel gimbal arrives. #418

Pull_Up said:
Well whatever it is it will be an addition, rather than replacement. Very off topic, though. :)

I'm with ya on that. I love that the gimbal is fairly universal and I plan to transfer it to a future machine as well.

ARE YOU LISTENING KERI? That means keep up the good work and keep releasing new camera mounts! :)

RANGE AND ENDURANCE TESTING

Hello.

Right this morning was cold and a bit windy, and I forgot my gloves and the SD card for the camera (what can I say, it was a very early start). BUT the purpose of the flights was always going to be range and endurance testing with the gimbal, so I have re-attached my Flytrex (it does fit under the aircraft with the gimbal properly installed, although I needed to use double-sided tape as opposed to the 3M Command picture hanging strips due to their thickness).

I'll summarise the conditions and link to the Flytrex data for the two flights:

FLIGHT ONE
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ton-20368/

Winds 10-12mph, gusting 18
Temp +4.5C
Flight location: Open farmland, no other wifi in range, take-off point on higher ground than that overflown. No obstacles, trees, etc.
Flight type: low energy, typical photographic/video flight profile including periods of hovering, not much full stick deflection
Battery percentage Motors start: 99% Motors off: 21%
Run time 17m10s

Note: I have a modded antenna set-up (ground end only) so these observations are made relative to range performance with those mods but without the gimbal.

* No loss of wifi signal at the maximum range - camera was facing directly away in relation to control position - some mild skipping of frames were noted.

* Towards the end of the flight I did a run out to 800ft+ with gimbal motor side of camera directly facing my control position. No loss or degradation of wifi signal was observed.

* Below 30% battery I got occasional temporary battery low alerts if suddenly pushing hard on the sticks - the consequent voltage drop with the gimbal attached seems to be enough to trigger this when sub 30%. However easing back on the sticks will stop the alert and prevent any autoland kicking in.

FLIGHT TWO
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ton-20371/

An impromptu flight with Shedracer (nice to meet you!), lower altitude and the sun had come out so condition slightly warmer and less windy than previous flight. Flight type was more "sport flying" with higher average speeds and plenty of turns and maneouvres. I brought the aircraft in close a little early and used the opportunity to run the battery right down for calibration as per DJI manual.
Flight location: Large open field, no obstacles, controlling and flying in close proximity to another Vision.
Battery percentage motors start 99%, motors off <5%
Run time 18m26s

* No issues noted when flying with another Vision (which was stock in terms of antennas).

* Less manoeuvring earlier could probably have pushed this over 19 minutes, although fighting autoland all the time of course.

MY CONCLUSIONS

1. In my setup I didn't notice any degradation of wifi performance at all (in fact in flight one above I achieved a personal record for distance, and was only limited by the control signal running out of grunt). I also tested the worst case scenario (gimbal motor facing the transmitter) and had perfectly clear wifi rolling out to 800ft+ (this was not a limit that I hit, I just needed to come on back in). I am running a stock Vision aircraft with a Horizon FPV Antennas 9dBi Blackhawk Micro (LHCP) 2.4GHz directional helical antenna on the range extender (and a Horizon FPV Antennas 9dBi Blackhawk Micro (LHCP) 5.8GHz on the transmitter). I can't tell you how you will be affected if you are running totally stock, but unless you want to do hardcore FPV it looks like simple ground-end only antenna mod on the range extender can, from my results, completely negate any issues the gimbal motor may cause.

2. Endurance tested on a "normal" flight profile (normal for me, at any rate) was solidly 17 minutes without taxing the battery at all. If I had pushed down to the autoland threshold at 15% then flight one could probably easily have pushed to 18 minutes or more. Flight two was more "sporting" and would probably have come in nearer to 16 minutes if I had not wanted to let the battery run all the way down for recalibration purposes.

Hope this data is useful for those who've asked for it. It's only from 2 flights, of course, but I'll continue to post all my logs to my Flytrex account and monitor the averages. But so far, so good.

Nice to meet you Simon, loved the setup you have (my wallet looks like it will be lightened a bit more, having seen your setup today). ;) For those who don't have their Rotorpixel gimble yet (me included), it looks and performs superbly, having now seen Simon's.

First of all thank you Simon for all this information I really appriciate it.
Question: .....did you change any YAW gains before the flights you just mentioned in your previouse post ?
And if , did you notice any diffrence ?
Cheers / Andy

AndySwe said:
First of all thank you Simon for all this information I really appriciate it.
Question: .....did you change any YAW gains before the flights you just mentioned in your previouse post ?
And if , did you notice any diffrence ?
Cheers / Andy

Hello, yes I did as a matter of fact. Last night I dropped the yaw gain by 10% just to see if I would notice a difference today. I did notice a slight difference in the "feel" on the left stick, but only slight, and it can probably go down a lot further for my tastes. I will probably pick a day to do some low-level hovering in the back garden with the laptop to hand to make it quicker and easier to change the settings and get something less "sharp". It's going to be a balance, though, as I like to fly "coordinated" turns (with roll and yaw - so the camera tracks the same path as the aircraft, like an aeroplane) so wouldn't want the yaw authority to get too soft.

Interesting. From other information I have read I did not think the yaw setting actually affected the yaw stick movements. I thought the basic gains were just the gains for how sensitive the Phantom reacts when in a GPS hover and nothing to do with stick movement.

Thanks pull up.. Good videos, i like that flytrex data logger... Does Flytex give you any "real time" data via the phone app...or is it recorded to the sd card only?

Come on #463

xgeek said:
Interesting. From other information I have read I did not think the yaw setting actually affected the yaw stick movements. I thought the basic gains were just the gains for how sensitive the Phantom reacts when in a GPS hover and nothing to do with stick movement.

I thought the same thing.. And i'm still not sure if that is indeed the case.. We are speaking on this issue about adjusting "yaw gains"... When what we really want to adjust is... " yaw rate".

Actually I'm not interested in adjusting yaw rate, I'm interested in adjusting the gain to reduce the sharpness of the yaw response to corrections in crosswinds - it can spin around as fast as before as far as I'm concerned.

EDITED to add that because yaw doesn't have an adjustable attitude gain value I'm working on the (possibly wrong until I experiment) assumption that changing basic yaw gain will dull down the aircraft reaction to any change in the yaw axis, be it from stick input or environment...

Pull_Up said:
Actually I'm not interested in adjusting yaw rate, I'm interested in adjusting the gain to reduce the sharpness of the yaw response to corrections in crosswinds - it can spin around as fast as before as far as I'm concerned.

EDITED to add that because yaw doesn't have an adjustable attitude gain value I'm working on the (possibly wrong until I experiment) assumption that changing basic yaw gain will dull down the aircraft reaction to any change in the yaw axis, be it from stick input or environment...

If you adjust yaw gain based on a given wind condition... Wouldn't that be "out of whack" when wind conditions change or are reversed when the craft changes direction?.. I'm confused here,... whereas "rate of turn" or "yaw rate" would do more to counter the effects of jitter in videos where pitch and roll are now stabilized with the new gimbal.

Thanks, The Rookie

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl