Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Studiowise said:
BigSky said:
That was a dead end. I don't know him and there are probably 500 Peter Ellens in the US.

try on your desktop (non mobile) device- are you a member of the dji phantom owners page on facebook? if not- join and then you may have better access and then retry those links or just search within the group on facebook group page..

alternatively, I think this is his company webpage (based in NY) but the filter kit isn't yet listed on it but could try contacting him through his site- http://www.tinycars.biz/

Hi All,

Someone speculated that the price would actually end up around $500 - that's not true. We're still aiming for the $300-400 range. CNC machining of the metal parts is in full swing at the moment, so sometime next week, we expect to have a big box of goodies arrive for assembly.

In the meantime, we are also having small custom PCBs and 4-conductor A/V cables rush-manufactured which will accept the white cable from the Phantom, split power off of it to the gimbal, and extend a thin flexible cable to the Vision camera. Little things like this all add to the cost of manufacturing, especially when everything is being done in Canada (compared to cheap labour in China). And, the AlexMos gimbal control boards that we're using are essentially the Cadillac of gimbal controllers - they are far more capable than other gimbal control boards out there, with many more functions/customization available - but they cost more as a result.

Anyway, that's just a little justification of why our prices are likely going to fall where we've estimated. We're doing everything we can to minimize costs, while maximizing quality.

In other news, because of how low and forward we've mounted the camera, a few quick tests seem to show that we're getting *zero* propellers in the frame, regardless of how hard the Phantom is pushed during flights.

And yes, we did have an 18 minute flight, but we pushed the battery (started at 96%, ended at 6%, and were flying it around in circles) to get there. However, that was also with a small 3S battery powering the gimbal, instead of the main battery powering it (didn't have a custom cable made for the P2V that we used to test it), so we may be able to get even more time without the small external battery... more testing and videos coming soon.

Keri

Rotorpixel,
Thanks for the update.
There has been much speculation on using the channel 7 on the back of the DJI controller to operate your gimbal instead of the iPhone interface.

Will this be possible from your Rotorpixel Gimbal?

Keri that's all great news. Take your time. I know everybody's super excited but I'd rather wait for a problem/jello free gimbal. Thanks again for all the updates!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Just bumping this up ;)

Rotorpixel said:
Here's a little more information about it:

• CNC machined aluminum parts from 7075-T6 aluminum ("aircraft grade"). Aluminum typically doesn't *snap* when crashed, unlike many plastics, or carbon fiber
  • 3D printed Vision mounting bracket which is lightweight, strong, and doesn't interfere with wi-fi signal transmission
  • The mounting bracket will either allow the DJI filter holder to be installed, or we will include a 46mm thread on the mounting bracket... in either case, you'll still be able to use filters!
  • Protective case for the gimbal control board
  • Tilt control maintained through the Vision App (or through X1 channel on the radio... trying to purchase a large quantity of them now...)
  • Completely plug-and-play. Just connect the vibration damping balls together, and plug in 2 cables. No soldering or opening the Phantom necessary. You also need to go into the Assistant software and change the gimbal gain settings, since you don't want the standard gimbal correction signals (meant for the stock pitch servo) to be sent to the gimbal control board.
  • Uses an official AlexMos gimbal control board (not an open source one with a hacked firmware which can't take upgrades...), and the latest Basecam GUI, which will allow a 3-axis upgrade eventually!
  • Hero 2 or Hero 3 cameras can be used with appropriate mounting brackets, with a few minor adjustments.

Thanks,

Keri

Some good info on the AlexMos Gimbal controller
http://www.tppacks.com/store/download/AlexMos_Gimbal_Controller_Tuning_Guide.pdf
http://www.simplebgc.com/files/v10/SimpleBGC_manual_1_2_eng.pdf

GetaGrip said:
Just bumping this up ;)

Rotorpixel said:
Here's a little more information about it:

• CNC machined aluminum parts from 7075-T6 aluminum ("aircraft grade"). Aluminum typically doesn't *snap* when crashed, unlike many plastics, or carbon fiber
  • 3D printed Vision mounting bracket which is lightweight, strong, and doesn't interfere with wi-fi signal transmission
  • The mounting bracket will either allow the DJI filter holder to be installed, or we will include a 46mm thread on the mounting bracket... in either case, you'll still be able to use filters!
  • Protective case for the gimbal control board
  • Tilt control maintained through the Vision App (or through X1 channel on the radio... trying to purchase a large quantity of them now...)
  • Completely plug-and-play. Just connect the vibration damping balls together, and plug in 2 cables. No soldering or opening the Phantom necessary. You also need to go into the Assistant software and change the gimbal gain settings, since you don't want the standard gimbal correction signals (meant for the stock pitch servo) to be sent to the gimbal control board.
  • Uses an official AlexMos gimbal control board (not an open source one with a hacked firmware which can't take upgrades...), and the latest Basecam GUI, which will allow a 3-axis upgrade eventually!
  • Hero 2 or Hero 3 cameras can be used with appropriate mounting brackets, with a few minor adjustments.

Thanks,

Keri

Some good info on the AlexMos Gimbal controller
http://www.tppacks.com/store/download/AlexMos_Gimbal_Controller_Tuning_Guide.pdf
http://www.simplebgc.com/files/v10/SimpleBGC_manual_1_2_eng.pdf

very cool- how does one swap out for a gopro 2 or 3 -will be great for shooting hiher res 2.7K footage or 1080 60p or 720 120 fps footage for great slow mo footage with the gopro 3 black (that the vision cam can't do)- will those mounting brackets be sold separately or come with the package? also will the metal (aluminium) parts have any risk of RF interference issues (RF waves bouncing off the parts)..?

Rotorpixel said:
with a small 3S battery powering the gimbal, instead of the main battery powering it

Keri

I was wondering how that would work out. Was this just a quick fix to get flying or could this be a feature of your gimbal for improved F2V battery performance?

Rotorpixel said:
with a small 3S battery powering the gimbal, instead of the main battery powering it

Keri

I was wondering how that would work out. Was this just a quick fix to get flying or could this be a feature of your gimbal for improved F2V battery performance?

ryanza said:
Rotorpixel said:

Keri

This is not an ideal situation at all. The added weight of the battery surely outweighs the "savings" that the main battery gets. We'll definitely get better flight times with the main battery powering everything.

Mounting a Hero 2/3/3+ is simple - just swap out the Vision mount with one of these (this is a very old video - the newest Hero mounts are more clean):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4SoTJ7Kcdk[/youtube]

Regarding the 7th channel - it shouldn't be difficult to implement, but we have our hands full already with every other aspect of the design/manufacturing process. When the dust settles from the initial tsunami of orders, then we'll start thinking of adding the 7th channel. The app does work though, and the camera can point straight down.

We're also playing with the idea of connecting 2 conductive stickers to the screen, which are connected to 2 conductive buttons, each having adhesive on their backs. This would theoretically allow you to stick the two buttons ("tilt up" and "tilt down") anywhere that you'd like on the controller, eliminating the need for the 7th channel altogether. Just a thought!

Keri

Hi Keri

Great you are answering back in here. I wish DJI would do the same :(

About having different mounts for different cameras, wouldn't it be better to have one mount that can adapt to the camera's instead?
Like this:

Weird I can only upload 1 photo?

Attachments

• zhaoyun-3axis-new-004.jpg
    zhaoyun-3axis-new-004.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 535
Here is a couple more:

Attachments

• zhaoyun-new-detail-001.jpg
    zhaoyun-new-detail-001.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 555
  • zhaoyun-new-detail-002.jpg
    zhaoyun-new-detail-002.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 536
  • arris-zhao-yun-2-axis-gimbal-compatible-with-most-dslr-4.gif.jpg
    arris-zhao-yun-2-axis-gimbal-compatible-with-most-dslr-4.gif.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 618
Thanks a lot for the update.

Are you also working on the shipping issue ?
Will you be able to ship to Europe (France as far as I'm concerned ?)

Tks,
Bertrand

br17623366 said:
Thanks a lot for the update.

Are you also working on the shipping issue ?
Will you be able to ship to Europe (France as far as I'm concerned ?)

Tks,
Bertrand

I expect many in the UK, would also like to know the answer to that question please.

mert01mert said:
Hi everybody. I want to ask to rotorpixel that why your shipping cost is so expensive (eg: 90 dollar to my country Turkey). I dont understand because products is lightweight and small package?

He said "small package". :lol:

Rotorpixel said:
We're also playing with the idea of connecting 2 conductive stickers to the screen, which are connected to 2 conductive buttons, each having adhesive on their backs. This would theoretically allow you to stick the two buttons ("tilt up" and "tilt down") anywhere that you'd like on the controller, eliminating the need for the 7th channel altogether. Just a thought!

Keri

Sorry, not exactly following... what do you mean by "screen"? And if you eliminated the need for the 7th channel altogether, wouldn't this require a separate transmitter and receiver? I think the placement of the 7th channel on the R/C is probably perfect because you can keep your hands wrapped comfortably around the controller with thumbs on both sticks, and then use your middle or ring finger to control the tilt-lever at the same time.

Jre said:
el"]We're also playing with the idea of connecting 2 conductive stickers to the screen, which are connected to 2 conductive buttons, each having adhesive on their backs. This would theoretically allow you to stick the two buttons ("tilt up" and "tilt down") anywhere that you'd like on the controller, eliminating the need for the 7th channel altogether. Just a thought!

Keri

Sorry, not exactly following... what do you mean by "screen"?[/quote]

If I understand it correctly, there would be two pads that you stick to the screen of your smartphone/tablet and they route to another touch switch mounted elsewhere on your controller. This way, you don't have to tap the screen to adjust the pitch. Instead, you would touch the remote sensors.

Ah, that makes sense now. Hmm, wonder if they would be 100% responsive though with most modern smartphones. I'd Google it but I wouldn't know what they were called. Can anyone find a link to something like this? Or are we inventing something new here?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT