Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Geert said:
ciguli said:
I guess I should better wait before buying the current one.

They are developing an upgrade for the current one.
Not a new one. :D

Geert./.

I'm wondering how they're going to do that. I'd have to guess that we'll be needing longer legs on our aircraft, no?

-slinger

I'm sure Keri is a great guy with the best of intentions but does anybody else think it sucks that the Rotorpixel website has for what, a year now, said this:

24ayaoh.png

and still says this.

I still think the 3-D printers are amazing. Also that a person can be so smart to be able to program one to make "things."

DKDarkness said:
johnlund said:
I'm sure Keri is a great guy with the best of intentions but does anybody else think it sucks that the Rotorpixel website has for what, a year now, said this:

24ayaoh.png

and still says this.

I sent one of these fully assembled to Simon Newton for review on his youtube channel. He received it on September 8 2014.

Untitled_preview_featured.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:449780
There is a build video for it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_kZF2oijIM

Interesting to note that the Rotopixel website has been updated recently and they have removed the section "Compatible with GoPro Hero etc etc"

I might have missed a posting in this forum but has anybody with the Rotopixel gimbal successfully changed over to a GoPro? (I have tried contacting Rotopixel via email & the Facebook page but there have been no replies - in fact it appears that nobody is getting replies!)

I've not been really happy with the performance of the vision camera lately and really want to swap over to the new GoPro Hero 4 which has much better specifications.

In the absence of a suitable bracket for the GoPro from Rotopixel I can easily get one 3D printed locally for about $60 (Australian Dollars).

All good (I think) to that stage!

I have the following parts ready for the FPV:
1. A Boscam 2.4Ghz 500mw video audio Transmitter Receiver & HD Monitor (sourced from AliExpress for USD122).
2. I have a DJI iOSD mini
3. DJI Phantom 2 Canbus module (ie: an external canbus port that will plug this into the main board)

I hope that I can use the 7th channel to control the gimbal tilt - not sure about this - any ideas how this is connected??

Also will there be any problem with the gimbal after I disconnect the vision camera? I am nervous about this because of the warning on the Rotopixel website: ""NEVER power the gimbal *without* the Vision camera installed. Doing so can cause damage to the motors, which is not covered by warranty.""

Question is will this all work? I would really appreciate some guidance before attempting this modification.

Interesting to note that the Rotopixel website has been updated recently and they have removed the section "Compatible with GoPro Hero etc etc"

It's still there in my browsers.

ewee1952 said:
Also will there be any problem with the gimbal after I disconnect the vision camera? I am nervous about this because of the warning on the Rotopixel website: ""NEVER power the gimbal *without* the Vision camera installed. Doing so can cause damage to the motors, which is not covered by warranty.""

Question is will this all work? I would really appreciate some guidance before attempting this modification.

Cover the 4 pin jack plug that would normally go into the FC200 camera with a bit of silicone tubing to prevent short circuits and zip tie it where it is not in the way, and you should be fine.

johnlund said:

It's still there in my browsers.

It's reappeared on mine to! I'm sure it wasn't there this morning when I viewed it on the iPad browser! That's good then; all we need now is for Keri to respond to some emails. I'm ready to order a gopro mount now if they are still intending to produce one!

DKDarkness said:
ewee1952 said:

Cover the 4 pin jack plug that would normally go into the FC200 camera with a bit of silicone tubing to prevent short circuits and zip tie it where it is not in the way, and you should be fine.

Many thanks for the quick reply Terje.
I'll proceed with this modification as soon as I get hold of the gopro mount (probably 3d printed from the file that you sent to Simon in September). Also I must buy the GoPro!! Maybe Santa will bring me one.

ewee1952 said:
DKDarkness said:
ewee1952 said:

Many thanks for the quick reply Terje.
I'll proceed with this modification as soon as I get hold of the gopro mount (probably 3d printed from the file that you sent to Simon in September). Also I must buy the GoPro!! Maybe Santa will bring me one.

Please note that you will not be able to use the DJI app to control the GoPro camera. You can use the GoPro app to control the camera, but will get no telemetry from the P2V.

DKDarkness said:
ewee1952 said:
Please note that you will not be able to use the DJI app to control the GoPro camera. You can use the GoPro app to control the camera, but will get no telemetry from the P2V.
/Terje

I should (I hope) get all the telemetry from the iOSD mini that I will be installing in conjunction with the Boscam 2.4gHZ transmitter. The receiving end connects to a new 7" monitor.

The only thing that I am still not certain about is if the 7th channel is able to control the Rotopixel gimbal/camera pitch.

What is the shipping time these days? Still weeks/months?

btw. I emailed Keri twice about the 3rd axis upgrade; still no response :/

Can someone work on this horrible weather so I can get some flight time before the FAA ruins it for everyone!. These near misses at airports don't help.. Sorry off topic..

bywalker said:
Can someone work on this horrible weather so I can get some flight time before the FAA ruins it for everyone!. These near misses at airports don't help.. Sorry off topic..
Depends on where you are, we don't know. It may go away soon or like me, it will not until Spring. It is a bummer. I did not get very many uses of my RotoP before the cold showed up. Too hard to fly with numb fingers. :cry:

Hi all,
Quick question.
Ordered the RotorPixel on the 27th of November, shipped from Canada on the 01/12/2014. Been tracking it since then on Canada Post website and its been showing - International shipment has arrived in a foreign country - since the 4th of December. Is this normal? How long does it normally take for customs to process?

By the way I'm in the UK.
Another question, what delivery service do they use here?

Cheers
Andy

It can take time and sometimes a little faster. With the Christmas shipping in various parts of the World, it can be slowed down. I just checked at my local USA post office on shipping a small package to only three States away from me the cheapest way and was told it could take two weeks this time of year. I have had a package from China go through customs here and take two days another time it took six days. As Greet stated, not to worry yet. It can take time. It is well worth waiting for. You will enjoy that great upgrade.
And welcome Lew40 to the forum.

Geert said:
Lew40 said:
Hi all,
Quick question.
Ordered the RotorPixel on the 27th of November, shipped from Canada on the 01/12/2014. Been tracking it since then on Canada Post website and its been showing - International shipment has arrived in a foreign country - since the 4th of December. Is this normal? How long does it normally take for customs to process?

By the way I'm in the UK.
Another question, what delivery service do they use here?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy and welcome to our forum,

It can take some time before the gentlemen at the customs office release it, nothing to worry yet.
I live in Greece and my latest order coming from Canada stayed 8 business days at the customs office.

Geert./.

Cheers Geert

Its now showing as Item has arrived in foreign country not International shipment has arrived in a foreign country.
I'm thinking it might of been released from customs :)

Happyflyer said:
It can take time and sometimes a little faster. With the Christmas shipping in various parts of the World, it can be slowed down. I just checked at my local USA post office on shipping a small package to only three States away from me the cheapest way and was told it could take two weeks this time of year. I have had a package from China go through customs here and take two days another time it took six days. As Greet stated, not to worry yet. It can take time. It is well worth waiting for. You will enjoy that great upgrade.
And welcome Lew40 to the forum.

Cheers Happyflyer.

I'm new to droning so I'm going by what I've read and heard.

Andy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart