Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Guys, when you are flying with your rotor pixel full speed ahead, you can see horizon no problem with props and arms in the picture? If someone could point me to an example video...

Also, does this gimbal installation affect fpv or control range in any way?

un hombre said:
Guys, when you are flying with your rotor pixel full speed ahead, you can see horizon no problem with props and arms in the picture? If someone could point me to an example video...

Also, does this gimbal installation affect fpv or control range in any way?

The highest angle for the camera is approximately straight ahead when the P2V is level. I think it does pitch up a bit more than that, though because I will see the props momentarily at times. I never see the legs, but I use the "longer/wider" replacement I bought off eBay.

If you're flying forward, the 'copter will tilt in the forward dirction, so the camera will be angled more downward. Whether you see the horizon depends on how much the 'copter pitches down in flight and how high you are flying.

I didn't notice any range issues, but I never push it to the limits to test it.

All in all, I think the RP took my P2V from a fun toy to an even more fun toy that's also useful.

-- Roger

Thanks for the reply, mate!

I thought upgrading would solve the problem of camera pointing to ground when flying really fast. I was hoping it would point to horizon with props and arms visible, like in vision plus... Oh well.

Geert said:
The new remote controller works fine with the Rotorpixel gimbal.
VERY smooth !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1DaKhMq4ys[/youtube]

Geert./.

Awesome... Now I can put it on my Xmas list for the wife... :D

-slinger

un hombre said:
Thanks for the reply, mate!

I thought upgrading would solve the problem of camera pointing to ground when flying really fast. I was hoping it would point to horizon with props and arms visible, like in vision plus... Oh well.
Depends on the adjustments in the assistant program. I can set mine so when the camera is rotated full up it goes above level. Since this device is made to stay pointed at what you set it at, when going forward fast and the quad is tilted forward you should be able to get props to show. I have seen it in my videos when set that way. Not my normal setting but it can be done.
As for cutting FPV, the camera holder does cover one of the camera antennas. I noticed a difference when that side of quad was pointed towards me and much better reception when the other side was turned towards me. Not a problem now with FPVLR's antennas installed.

Tough Gimbal.. Bent main Gimbal arm in pretty heavy crash. (Skids,three props,compass,body). Dissasembled and straightened arm and all is good...... Yes, Pilot error

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 406
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 365
Hello Geert.
Recieved my RPX today and got it up and running just fine.
My only issue (and it is a minor one) is that it points straight down when I turn on the Vision.
I walked through the steps you posted several pages back to bywalker regarding the motor position reset, but it still points straight down after power up.
Any other thoughts as to what it could be?

Thanks!

Byron

From all my testing, about 10 hours of resetting the RPX, the phantom etc, I have realized that you must power on the phantom first, then power on the TX. This only started happening after I upgraded to the new LIPRO remote. Did not happen on the old 5.8 remote that came stock with the P2V. A small work around, but I have not figured a way around it other than powering on the TX after the phantom.

Also, the only settings I changed was click on upgrade remote, paired it with the P2V, and calibrated. Upgraded the firmware as well. Still points down (if the TX is on when I power up the phantom) If its off, then it points straight ahead during power up..

Hmm, I'd say Re upgrade the firmware then re pair the remote. Recalibrate in the rc Assistant software, then in the phantom software. Make sure you do the tilt wheel a few times. Test then power it all down and test again with the tx off. If it still does it I'd email Keri. Mine works but only if I power on the tx last. If the remote is not powered on, not sure how or why it would cause the RPX to point down upon power up. Could always reset the RPX and go through the above steps from Keri, but that's a lot of work without a guaranteed result..

Good luck, let me know if you find a solution. I'd like to not have to remember to have my tx powered off each time. The bottom of my camera bezel is getting scratched by the ground when I forget!

Geert said:
Nice to hear it is running fine.
What values did you enter in the Assistant Software for center position?
What remote controller are you using?
With the old remote controller my camera moves nicely to the center position when powering on.
But with the new remote controller it points straight down. I still have to figure out how to fix that. For now I scroll the left dial wheel to upper position when I power on the Phantom.

Geert./.

Geert,
I have only entered the gimbal settings in the assistant software per the RPX instructions:
Pitch: Gain = 0
Pich: Center = -450

No other changes to the gimbal settings in the software.

I am using the original remote with NO channel 7 mods for gimbal pitch (still using app to pitch camera). I haven't tried bywalkers trick to power on the Vision first. I may run home in a bit and give it a try.

Come to think of it...
My factory gimbal was piching all the way down at startup as well. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the fact that I have been using the Pix4D app from time to time. It sets the gimbal all the way down automatically during a mission. Perhaps it resets the default startup position of the gimbal somehow. This is just a thought, of course, If either you or bywalker are not using Pix4D then this is likely not the problem.

bywalker said:
And how weird, we have two Byron's on this thread. Me and the other Byron :)
bywalker - the skys are now a better place to be knowing there at least two of us "Byrons" in the P2V universe! :cool:

Appreciate the help guys!
Byron.

Okay I have read multiple forums and I am still confused......what does the 5.8GHz Remote Controller V1.0.2.30 firmware update do for the original Phantom 2 Vision controller features, or should it not be applied to the original Phantom 2 Vision controller?

bywalker,
I tried your method of turning on the P2V first and then the TX... this worked as it did for you - the camera stayed upright!
Here is the kicker... while surfing through my settings in Assistant tonight, I noticed that my TX setting had been toggled over to "Upgrade Version". Once I toggled back to "Basic Version" the gimbal stays upright at startup regardless of the TX being on or off.
Pretty sure this was a dumb mistake on my part when previously in the Assistant software - accidentally toggled the wrong button. :roll:
Now for my next issue.... next post...

I may need to re-post this in another topic, but thought I would share it here first as a new problem seems to have arrived at the same time as the RPX install...

When I plugged my Vision into the Assistant software to set the RPX gimbal settings, it immediately began the central board update 1.0.2.10. I was unaware that this had been released, but sat patiently as it updated - no big deal.
After the update I rebooted the Vision and went back to configuring the gimbal settings. After the RPX install was complete I turned on the Vision and patiently waited for the wifi connection to finalize. It connected as usual and I touched the camera button to see the FPV view. It was reading telemetry/camera data, but was not showing and camera stream. This has happened before and I usually just power cycle the Vision and the camera will connect properly. It did as I thought it would, however it was a little slow to connect.
Today it seems that this has gotten worse. I can very rarely get the camera FPV stream to come up - although I still get full telemetry and camera data. Sometimes it will take about 10 seconds to connect and slowly pixelate its way into view. I can even take a picture with the app while it is displaying black screen, and the picture will show up just fine in the album.
I have turned off the Vision and checked my camera connections MULTIPLE times. I have even gone so far as to clean all connections as to rule out any dirt or grease on the pins. I have also changed my preview quality to the lowest setting, and more recently, bypassed the RPX with the original camera lead cable, running it directly into the camera. (Oh yeah, I also tried to connect via 2 other android devices to no avail!)

I am posting this here for now because I think there is a very small chance this issue is related to the RPX install and hoping someone has seen this. I am not too sure the issue can be from the CB update either- I don't know if there is any correlation between the camera and the central board.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. It seems as if my camera is not wanting to play nice!

Thanks,
Byron.

Does anyone know if the 3rd-axis version will be out anytime soon? I emailed Keri; no response of course :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart