Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Geert said:
If you want the new motors which are less weight, smoother, and stronger, they require new metal frame arms... sort of. If the new motors are mounted directly onto your existing frame, the motors won't be able to spin because the metal frame of the gimbal contacts the C-clip on the motor... one solution is to use a 1/2" drill to cut away a small circle of metal on the frame arms, which will allow the motor to then freely rotate. If you don't want to do that, then a thin washer can be installed over each motor mounting screw to hold the motor slightly away from the metal frame arm, which also allows the motor to spin freely.

It's sort of a chain-effect, because as soon as you use the new metal frame arms, the top metal plate needs to be changed as well (the x-shaped one)... so essentially, you'd need new motors, new vertical arm, new horizontal arm, new top mounting plate.

Geert./.

Well, for $150+ to upgrade to new design, it doesn't seem to be worth it given my original design RP is working flawlessly. The new components would give me a weight saving, but IMHO, not quite worth the cost. So I think I'll stick with what i have and upgrade only if I crash and damage the RP. :oops:

I am curious if Keri is going to offer the third axis upgrade soon and what the cost will be.

Geert said:
EricT said:
Well, for $150+ to upgrade to new design, it doesn't seem to be worth it given my original design RP is working flawlessly. The new components would give me a weight saving, but IMHO, not quite worth the cost. So I think I'll stick with what i have and upgrade only if I crash and damage the RP. :oops:

I am curious if Keri is going to offer the third axis upgrade soon and what the cost will be.

Hope he is working on that third axis upgrade. Looking forward to it.

Geert./.

So am I... Where do you think the motor will mount? Without modifying the main bracket, won't it drop the camera down quite a bit? Or do you think there'll be a new bracket that comes with the kit?

-slinger

Phantom 2 Vision - Rotorpixel Gimble discussion

I intended this post to allow people to discuss and offer help and advice on the Rotorpixel 2 Axis Gimble. Help is hard to come by from Rotorpixel, so its up to the community to provide that support.

First question: I have tried to balance the gimble a dozen times and it does not seem to stay in position. Anyone have a video on that, or a list of checks

I'm hoping for a new design for the 3 axis gimbal. I'm sure he has plans for one.

Cyclone said:
I'm hoping for a new design for the 3 axis gimbal. I'm sure he has plans for one.

He had previously stated that the 2 axis gimbal would be upgradeable to a 3 axis gimbal. I hope that's the case... :)

-slinger

RotorPixel... Accept no substitutes... :D :D :D

rotorpixel03.jpg

rotorpixel04.jpg

-slinger

gunslinger said:
He had previously stated that the 2 axis gimbal would be upgradeable to a 3 axis gimbal. I hope that's the case... :)

-slinger

Yeah, Ive read a few times he was bringing out an upgrade but Im hoping he might also do a full 3 axis gimbal as well. :)

Pinch1020 said:
I noticed At 30% battery life my drone started to descend I'm not sure if it's due to the increased weight. Also as a caution always tighten the screws for the grommets after every flight. I had one loosen up on me and fell out.

My p2v would also randomly and unpredictably begin auto landing at 30% power even tho that was supposed to be first warning stage and not auto landing stage. My solution? Reduce it from 30% to 20%

I'm looking at the RotorPixel store. If you purchase all the parts and pieces on that page for a new style gimbal, it comes out to $59.00 less than a complete RotorPixel gimbal. Is that their built in fee for assembling and testing? Or am I missing something...?
:shock:

It's pretty comforting to know you can buy any part of this gimbal that you might break and for a reasonable price. :)

-slinger

Cyclone said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Yeah, Ive read a few times he was bringing out an upgrade but Im hoping he might also do a full 3 axis gimbal as well. :)

Can anyone email him and ask? I don't have his address.

Hi everyone,

I just installed my rotorpixel gimbal on my p2v after waiting (like everyobne else) a long time to get it- powered it up- and the first time powering up for some reason the motors didn't engage to stabilizethe camera and just stayed there loose and moitionless..after powering off and back on again they started working thankfully..but on trying to connect to it via the dji app on my smart phone- the phantom's wifi network isn't showing up at all after several attempts powering on and off..the network isn't showing on my tablet either- and the wifi switch is turned on on the back of the camera..so I don't know what happened since installing the rotorpixel gimbal- any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated as it's been a long wait and now this..!

PS- I'm still running firmware 1.08 as I still want to utilize the 7th channel lever on the back of my TX (waiting for the new firmware to come out that will supposedly allow reaccess to the 7th channel again as the current firmware does not of course) -I could connect to the dji app on my phone and fly the p2v with no problem before installing the gimbal..

PPS- is it normal for the camera to hang 'loose and low' when not powered up- I have the dji flter set but the camera isn't held in a normal level attitude when powered off..? Also on powering up another time it's yake much longer than 5 seconds for the motors to engage and the camera's range isn't imporoved-it doesn't appear to be able to tilt down fully vertically as it's supposed to and the highest up it will go won't allow the camer ato be level with the ground- still drooping low a bit..

thanks for anyone's input in advance!

theSelf said:
Hi everyone,

I just installed my rotorpixel gimbal on my p2v after waiting (like everyobne else) a long time to get it- powered it up- and the first time powering up for some reason the motors didn't engage to stabilizethe camera and just stayed there loose and moitionless..after powering off and back on again they started working thankfully..but on trying to connect to it via the dji app on my smart phone- the phantom's wifi network isn't showing up at all after several attempts powering on and off..the network isn't showing on my tablet either- and the wifi switch is turned on on the back of the camera..so I don't know what happened since installing the rotorpixel gimbal- any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated as it's been a long wait and now this..!

PS- I'm still running firmware 1.08 as I still want to utilize the 7th channel lever on the back of my TX (waiting for the new firmware to come out that will supposedly allow reaccess to the 7th channel again as the current firmware does not of course) -I could connect to the dji app on my phone and fly the p2v with no problem before installing the gimbal..

PPS- is it normal for the camera to hang 'loose and low' when not powered up- I have the dji flter set but the camera isn't held in a normal level attitude when powered off..? Also on powering up another time it's yake much longer than 5 seconds for the motors to engage and the camera's range isn't imporoved-it doesn't appear to be able to tilt down fully vertically as it's supposed to and the highest up it will go won't allow the camer ato be level with the ground- still drooping low a bit..

thanks for anyone's input in advance!

following on from my last message- I had to rebalance the camera/gimbal as I have a dji filter set - after which powering up thankfully the wifi network showed up..the only thing I can think of is I accidentally pressed the button on the bottom of the camera during the installation of the gimbal- what does that button do and can it affect the wifi?

the other thing I'd like to ask- is there a way to set the gimbal so the bottom of the camera & camera filter mount doesn't touch the ground and make the gimbal vibrate and go crazy plus I'm still not getting the gimbal to make the camera point directly vertically down at the maximum current range with my lever on the back of my TX which has been calibrated to x1 in the assistant..? if the camera facing out horizontally is 0 degrees and pointing vertically down is 90 degrees it only gets as far as about 70-75 degrees down at its max..

Thanks in advance for anyone feedback!

Geert said:
theSelf said:
the other thing I'd like to ask- is there a way to set the gimbal so the bottom of the camera & camera filter mount doesn't touch the ground and make the gimbal vibrate and go crazy plus I'm still not getting the gimbal to make the camera point directly vertically down at the maximum current range with my lever on the back of my TX which has been calibrated to x1 in the assistant..? if the camera facing out horizontally is 0 degrees and pointing vertically down is 90 degrees it only gets as far as about 70-75 degrees down at its max..

I extended my landing gear myself. Now there is almost 2 cm clearance which is perfect for me. The gimbal does not touch the ground and my Phantom still fits in my case.

What values did you entered in the Assistant Software for your gimbal. I can point mine straight down.

Geert./.
Hi Geert- thanks for your reply- I'm not getting notificaions of replies for some reason.. I entered the two values rotorpixel said in the instructions (Under the "Advanced" heading, in the "Gimbal" tab, enter "0" into the "Pitch: Gain" box and In the "Servo Travel Limit" section, enter "-450" into the "Pitch: Center" box..do I have to do anything else to get it to point straight down? I ordered a set of longer/wider legs, though I understand it won't fit in most cases- but I've yet to get a case anyway..what is that you stuck to the bottom of your stock skids to extend the clearance by another 2cm?

Looks like stock landing gear cut and glued to the installed gear. May be wrong but that's what my eyes see. I do like that idea. I've been looking for inventive ways to extend my stock landing gear. I'm just not a fan of the look of the wider and taller ones.

Geert said:
theSelf said:

I extended my landing gear myself. Now there is almost 2 cm clearance which is perfect for me. The gimbal does not touch the ground and my Phantom still fits in my case.

What values did you entered in the Assistant Software for your gimbal. I can point mine straight down.

Geert./.
Hi Geert

my values in my assistant are very different to yours yet the values I have were what Rotropixel says to change in their instructions (this is version 1.08 of the assistant as I still want to use the 7th channel/lever for tilting the camera- waiting till the new version comes out where will we will allegedly be able to use the 7th channel again)..

How come your values are different and should I change to the same values you have to successfully get the full range from the gimbal (including pointing stright down)..?

Thank you again for your feedback

Justin

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 341
Geert- I changed my settings to the same values as you showed in your screen capture from teh assistant and theer is no change in the way the gimbal responds..

the following two pictures represent the limits/range of tilting motion the gimbal is providing currently still

- in the highest it goes isn't quite horizontal-

and not pointing straight down yet still..

Attachments

• 20141027_142257_resized.jpg
    20141027_142257_resized.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 20141027_142322_resized.jpg
    20141027_142322_resized.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 347
I experimented further with the assistant settings and these worked best for me-

the camera now points straight down and better still in the maximum tilted up position the camera (with filter attached) the camera/filter attachment does not touch the surface it's standing on (misses by about 3mm) and therefore the gimbal doesn't 'go crazy'/does not jitter as a result when standing on the ground, even with the filter kit attached!

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 340

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart