Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Get in contact with keri, you never know he might send one free of charge.

SunnyCoastFlier said:
Hi fliers!
Have gimbal installed etc (easy), the Rotorpixel is a good solid unit and am getting improved pics.
I have noticed that the P2V is more susceptible to wind gusts or winds, gets a wobble, is uncontrollable and then goes down! I still have connection but I am unable to manoeuvre. Several crashes now and luckily only prop damage.
Has anyone else noticed? Or any advice?
Cheers

I don't think your problem is due to the gimbal. I've been flying with the Rotorpixel gimbal on my P2V since April and have never had anything like that happen. I'd recommend starting a new thread and posting a message describing the symptoms and asking for help.

-- Roger

SunnyCoastFlier said:
Hi fliers!
Have gimbal installed etc (easy), the Rotorpixel is a good solid unit and am getting improved pics.
I have noticed that the P2V is more susceptible to wind gusts or winds, gets a wobble, is uncontrollable and then goes down! I still have connection but I am unable to manoeuvre. Several crashes now and luckily only prop damage.
Cheers

I have had that same experience with a totally different gimbal of similar weight and controller type. It might be caused by the gimbal going into resonance (over compensating) and the vibrations causing the craft to become unstable. I solved this on my completely different gimbal by adjusting my PID settings (lowering P)

liketogethigh said:
Can I assume that these gimbals do not break as easily in a crash or hard landing as the PV+ gimbals? Has anyone actually broken one of these? Also what flight time is everyone getting with these gimbals(I know this question has been answered but I have read anywhere between 12 to 18 minutes)?

Mine blew down 90ft from the top of the tree I stuck it in. Aircraft was still powered up. Gimbal was completely unscathed and required no balancing or messing about afterwards. I was very glad of its robust construction.

My flight time when I fitted the gimbal compared to without went from 22 minutes to 17, taking the battery from 100% to 19%. Well worth it for the footage you get.

OK. I had an unusual crash that did break the RP gimbal. I had a battery communication error at 80 feet straight up. I looked up to see the phantom falling like a rock with no power. It landed upside down on the ground right in front of me. It didn't hit the ground exactly flat because one arm was bent. Lost two props and the camera AND gimbal separated from the craft. I didn't realize the gimbal could separate since it has screws in the mounts, but it can.
Damage;
Props
GPS - broken puck
Gimbal - camera cradle in three pieces - Main arm bent (aluminum) control board housing cracked

I was able to super glue all plastic pieces back together and they are still working.
Bent the arm back into place and is still working.
Borrowed the GPS from my first craft (that was in a lake) and was flying that afternoon.

This happened July 4th and I'm still running it just fine with repairs. I finally fixed the old craft so I have a backup. I have contacted Keri about replacement parts but haven't heard anything since July. Hoping to get the newer version of the cradle.

Geo

DKDarkness said:
SunnyCoastFlier said:
Hi fliers!
Cheers

I have had that same experience with a totally different gimbal of similar weight and controller type. It might be caused by the gimbal going into resonance (over compensating) and the vibrations causing the craft to become unstable. I solved this on my completely different gimbal by adjusting my PID settings (lowering P)

Thanks DK
I will assume for the moment that a retune would be through the Basecam 8 bit software, will try later today!
When P2V comes down the gimbal can separate via the screws through the dampeners.
Cheers

DKDarkness said:
SunnyCoastFlier said:
Hi fliers!
Cheers

A completely different and unnamed gimbal, eh DK? :D

Does it matter how fast you're flying? I mean, it could simply be increased drag, yes? ... which I suppose would result in the over compensating and resonance (as you put it).

Cyclone said:

Good luck on this. I have been emailing him since the second week of June and never get a response. Got mine hung up in a tree. Nothing broke that I can see but it no longer works. Have even ordered a second gimbal but who knows when that will ship.

You using/giving the right email address? :twisted:

SunnyCoastFlier said:
DKDarkness said:
SunnyCoastFlier said:
Hi fliers!
Cheers

Thanks DK
I will assume for the moment that a retune would be through the Basecam 8 bit software, will try later today!
When P2V comes down the gimbal can separate via the screws through the dampeners.
Cheers

Ok I have tested this morning and after a it of manoeuvring, not at speed, the P2V descends. Went home recalibrated and back to field. No luck P2V descends by itself, slowly, and when hits dirt it bounces up! When I give left stick it 'may' ascend but very slowly and not far (like full stick). Not a gimbal problem, something else! No idea!

Question to anyone that has received their Roto: Does Keri send Email with tracking number or does it just show up on your doorstep?

SunnyCoastFlier said:
Ok I have tested this morning and after a it of manoeuvring, not at speed, the P2V descends. Went home recalibrated and back to field. No luck P2V descends by itself, slowly, and when hits dirt it bounces up! When I give left stick it 'may' ascend but very slowly and not far (like full stick). Not a gimbal problem, something else! No idea!

Have you tested a flight WITHOUT the gimbal, just to confirm?

ProfessorStein said:
SunnyCoastFlier said:

Have you tested a flight WITHOUT the gimbal, just to confirm?

Ok taken gimbal off and it flies. So could be an ESC or motor issue not delivering enough power (intermittently).
Perhaps!

Thanks, Geert for shipping info.

John10Yes said:
Cyclone said:

Good luck on this. I have been emailing him since the second week of June and never get a response. Got mine hung up in a tree. Nothing broke that I can see but it no longer works. Have even ordered a second gimbal but who knows when that will ship.

John10Yes - I can't apologize enough for missing your emails... there are so many that have been missed now that it's difficult to determine which have been resolved, and which still need attention. Can you provide me with your order number, so I can look into the email(s) that you've sent, so that we can resolve it ASAP?

Thanks,

Keri

SunnyCoastFlier said:
Keri, can you please advise what is the time now between order and delivery? would like to order another

Oh sure... you're going in for seconds before I've even had a chance to belly up to the bar! ;) :D

Rotorpixel said:
John10Yes said:
Cyclone said:

John10Yes - I can't apologize enough for missing your emails... there are so many that have been missed now that it's difficult to determine which have been resolved, and which still need attention. Can you provide me with your order number, so I can look into the email(s) that you've sent, so that we can resolve it ASAP?

Thanks,

Keri

Keri, my second order number is 1402073387. My original order was 1402072596. You were extremely helpful and quick to respond to me when I was having issues with my Phantom after I think I plugged in my camera with power on and you thought I had burnt out the board in the Phantom. I then bought a second Phantom and put your gimbal on it and got it stuck in a tree shortly after and it quit working the beginning of June. It is about this problem that I have never gotten responses. Subsequent to that DJI replaced my Phantom and I ordered a second gimbal on the order above. Unfortunately I now have two Phantoms and no working gimbal.

Thanks John

Geert said:
SunnyCoastFlier said:
Keri, can you please advise what is the time now between order and delivery? would like to order another

Last week he said that it would be 3 weeks, due to a bit of delay in delivery of the latest batch of gimbal control boards.
So when my math is correct then it should be 2 weeks from now.

Geert./.

Sorry Geert, I mean from placing an order and availability for postage.
Since ordering my first in April I received it in August. Keri emails and asks whether you want to use express mail (additional cost), so a resounding YES!
So I was wondering whether it is still a 4 month wait?
Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl