Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

mchad said:
After four messages, I finally today got an email from RP stating that they were processing refunds in batches. So it looks like he is catching up with the requests. Good to see it didn't require involving the banks...

Wow refunds in batches!!! More than a few cancelations I guess!!! is Not like he should have not seen this coming... :mrgreen:

rfernandez said:
mchad said:
After four messages, I finally today got an email from RP stating that they were processing refunds in batches. So it looks like he is catching up with the requests. Good to see it didn't require involving the banks...

Wow refunds in batches!!! More than a few cancelations I guess!!! Not lie he should have not seen this coming... :mrgreen:

I still think this is the quality Gimbal to have, and it will be transferable to other frames. It's just sad he doesn't take communication seriously. You can't do business that way and succeed.

That "refunds in batches" remark raised my eyebrows a bit, too.

I'm not sure that if I owned the business I would have stated that publicly - I probably would have come up with another reason.

However - I believe that RP is probably still the best bet ... I just wish that he would add current status updates to his website (I also agree that public forums / social websites are not the proper venue for doing business) - it only takes a few minutes here and there to keep the public updated and to keep the angry villagers from uprising against the evil gimbalords :)

Wow. Thanks to everybody in this thread and to Rotorpixel.

Got my gimbal last night (#499). Installed follow instructions and using Pull_Up's video. Easy install. Made adjustments based on posts in here and took it for its first flight this morning. Awesome!

Windy this AM and still got this on my first flight: http://youtu.be/L-Md2e7bdGc

Geert said:
I was searching for some jello in your video, I couldn't find any.
Well done.

Geert
Newb question here. I've seen this term used dozens of times, and apparently everyone knows what it means - except me. What is 'jello'?

Hycam said:
Geert said:
Well done.

Geert
Newb question here. I've seen this term used dozens of times, and apparently everyone knows what it means - except me. What is 'jello'?

It's caused by vibration to the camera as it records, if you focus on a spot on a video , a building edge or something it has the appearance of slight movement , a little jelly like, wobbling. Even though the majority of the picture appears smooth..
I thinks that's how to describe it.

Geert said:
sbooneaz said:

Got my gimbal last night (#499). Installed follow instructions and using Pull_Up's video. Easy install. Made adjustments based on posts in here and took it for its first flight this morning. Awesome!

Windy this AM and still got this on my first flight: http://youtu.be/L-Md2e7bdGc

Well done.

Geert

I see some and it would be much worse without software stabilization applied. The problem is in the dampers. We need stiffer damping balls to reduce vibrations from the copter and movement of the gimbal frame!

sbooneaz said:

Windy this AM and still got this on my first flight

How do you manage to rotate (yaw) 360 degrees so smoothly? I find I rotate too quickly or I have a stop and go rotation.

Hycam said:
Geert said:
Well done.

Geert
The technical term is "Rolling Shutter":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

It's something inherent in most CMOS-type camera sensors. They "scan" the image into memory top-to-bottom - and if anything moves during the scan, it can produce all sorts of weird artifacts. The vibrations from a moving aircraft - if they are the right frequency - can cause portions of the image to "wobble" like jello. Other types of sensors, like CCDs, read the entire image into memory all at once. CMOS sensors are popular despite this, because they generally have much better low-light sensitivity.

GneeChee said:
That "refunds in batches" remark raised my eyebrows a bit, too.

I'm not sure that if I owned the business I would have stated that publicly - I probably would have come up with another reason.

However - I believe that RP is probably still the best bet ... I just wish that he would add current status updates to his website (I also agree that public forums / social websites are not the proper venue for doing business) - it only takes a few minutes here and there to keep the public updated and to keep the angry villagers from uprising against the evil gimbalords :)

Without a doubt it's an excellent product, and superior to most of it's competitors. Unfortunately the history books are full of companies that have had products superior to anything else in the market yet failed due to poor business practices. I hope RP doesn't follow in their footsteps. As for cancelations, I suspect they are still a single digit percentage of orders, and hope they remain that way.

mchad said:

Each batch brings me closer to my gimbal.

EricT. Practice, practice, practice. Really that is the only way I can explain it. I have flown about 80 hours since I got my P2V in late November. To be honest that is why I didn't mind waiting for the RP gimbal, it gave me time to practice.

Just a brief update on shipping numbers. here is a copy of an email I received from Rotorpixel on 04/24/14:

Sorry for the delay - so many emails!!!

We're currently shipping out approximately 50-100 per week, and by the end of next week we should be around the #XXXXXX620 mark. From there, you can make an estimate of how close we are to your order, but we're taking steps to hopefully increase our production capability substantially (to several hundred per week).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Keri

Unfortunately my number is XXXXX3027 so I have a month or more to wait but I think it will be worth it.

Still waiting....for some reason my Gimbal processed thru Chicago almost 48 hours ago....I would have thought it would have been Detroit then Memphis then to East Texas. I hope they don't lose it.

Tired of waiting.

The Rookie

Yes looking forward to getting me, may have to come to you Geert or to Pull_up for some tips on jello etc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka