Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

wp6529 said:
The crash / flyaway reports make me think someone needs to build a kill switch / rocket deployed parachute for these crafts. Something like an emergency button transmitter you stick to your control transmitter and if something bad starts happening you press the button to immediately kill power to the craft and deploy the parachute before it flies out of sight and/or hits the ground...

Or an emergency deployable flotation device if it splashes down!

Finally got it. Installed it and it works perfect. Im very happy with it so far. Now Im done wight this post. Moving on..... :D

James

Kari
A friend of mine on here (432) has emailed you about his gimbal he received last week, and that he did not receive the white thumb screws for the dampers. You responded initially to him and told him to email you a photo of what was in the bag, which he did promptly. He has heard nothing else from you. He is sitting there now with a gimbal he cannot use because of this, and to make matters worse, he has no idea whether you are going to send him the parts to make the $400.00 gimbal complete.
This is upsetting, and I can only imagine how he feels right now with the gimbal nothing more than a conversation piece on the shelf. You need to make this right. You could have over nighted the thumb screws to him.

It's bad enough to read about buyers saying Keri hasn't replied to my mail about Rotorpixel, but to wait two months to get the product and not get the thumbscrews to hold it on is another. I did get a reply on the first request I didn't get them and sent back a photo of they were not there black or white. Second request was a no answer and now will be leaving my current address for another state for the summer and two days here and gone. So fellow pilots check your package to make sure all the parts are there with those four parts are holding me back and yes I can put screws in to hold it with a washer. But when you pay $400 and no tires for the car to run on to get out of the parking lot come on after a 2 month wait?? :roll:

I got mine today (order#488).

Installed it, fallowed the videos and instructions, then went out to try it.

I lost control 2 times (it moved in all direction and kind of fly away for 20 secondes) and when I got it under control and tried to land it, it crashed!

I'm a good pilot, almost never crashs and NEVER lost control before. I just learned that there is an issue about that product: I will read more about it, but I'll probably have to return the Gimbal because right now I'm afraid to fly my Phantom Vision.

Did you calibrate the compass in an appropriate open space once you added the lump of metal and electronics to the underside of your Vision? The gimbal can have no effect on the flight controller whatsoever as it not connected to it, but it will have an effect on the compass - which should always be calibrated after you add or remove any hardware from the aircraft.

JustJames said:
Finally got it. Installed it and it works perfect. Im very happy with it so far. Now Im done wight this post. Moving on..... :D

James

Man I can't wait for mine to arrive so I don't have to come back here anymore as well. Congrats on your product working with no issues!

Les Malins said:
I got mine today (order#488).

Installed it, fallowed the videos and instructions, then went out to try it.

I lost control 2 times (it moved in all direction and kind of fly away for 20 secondes) and when I got it under control and tried to land it, it crashed!

I'm a good pilot, almost never crashs and NEVER lost control before. I just learned that there is an issue about that product: I will read more about it, but I'll probably have to return the Gimbal because right now I'm afraid to fly my Phantom Vision.

I feel your pain, it sucks.....
I had the same issue with major damage to the craft and RP Gimble....i did calibrate prior to flying but did so inside the house then powered down and took it outside about an hour later,,,,I powered up,,,established home point lock,,took off.... hovered about 10 ft above ground, tested all control functions...accended to about 75 ft,,,then it flew away on its own,,,,I tried to recover,,,,no stick responses,,,it was similar to my first my fly away in which i calibrated the craft on my tailgate, then moved 20 feet away and took off,,,,,so i feel this happened to me (in my case) from a bad calibration and not related to the RP Gimble add on,,,,not positive about it, but it appears that way,,,,i had just install the RPG and was eager to try out,,,craft flew away and impacted a tree at about 60 ft AGL and cartwheeled into the ground,,,,camera detached, gimble power connector separated,,,gimble camera holder snaped..battery separated from craft,,,.i was able to repair everything, now waiting on an ESC from china, the ESC was cracked in half,,motor assembly and shell bent 90 degrees upward,,,ouch!!!,,,these quads are built tough,,,,,the RPG is pretty tought too,,,,i was able to epoxy repair the plastic camera holder after it was in two pieces,,,,so i lucked out, only having to purchase and ESC from china for 23 dollars w/free shipping and 15 dollars for new props,,,,,it is very nerve racking flying these things hoping the calibration was good and the compass doesnt corrupt while airborne,,,i may calibrate everytime i fly from now on.....the other issue i noticed is the camera flops all around when calibrating,,,,i wonder if that has any affect on the overall calibration...i will try to stabilize the camera when i rotate during calibration to keep it from rolling all around, dont know if that matters but when i did the calibration inside my house earlier, i noticed after the cal, the RPG was twitching and was out of position, not sure if that was because of the camera not being balanced in the RPG or from the calibration rotations....but i had to power cycle to get it to correct....

Slightly off topic, but a quick question......my Android Smartphone updated the Android App to V1.0.39, dated 2014-04-07. Will that be an issue next time I fly as I am not updating the PC Assistant Software until the bugs I have read about in that release are fixed. TIA.

BTW, I am 105 in line for my RPG.

Hey Guys and Gals.
For anyone interested in extensions for their landing gears, I made these little legs from one of those cheap white coat hangers and tied them on with 2 zip ties. I made these in 5 minutes and zero cost. I flattened the bottom where they meet the stock skid so they don't rotate out of position. You can bend the coat hangers easily with just a little heat from a lighter.
I hope some of you can use this idea. extensions are 1" long, and I may shorten them with wire cutter to 3/4". They work excellent, and they are super light weight. If you want, you can turn them 180 degrees and they will be skids like the original. I will be making another set to look like the original skids.

unnamed.jpg

To everyone installing the RP or any other gimbal, please remember to follow your normal pre-flight checklist i.e. compass calibration away from metal objects, checking battery contacts, prop tightness, etc. after installing your gimbal. Haste and skipped steps can lead to crashes with or without an aftermarket gimbal.

EricT said:
Slightly off topic, but a quick question......my Android Smartphone updated the Android App to V1.0.39, dated 2014-04-07. Will that be an issue next time I fly as I am not updating the PC Assistant Software until the bugs I have read about in that release are fixed. TIA.

The app you use is I depending of the firmware your Phantom is on. I re commend leaving your phantom on 1.08 of v2 firmware

EricT said:

there is a new app. 1.0.40 that you can download and use with no issue in conjunction with prior firmware versions, issues with 1.0.39 led to release of 1.0.40

BigSky said:
Hey Guys and Gals.
For anyone interested in extensions for their landing gears, I made these little legs from one of those cheap white coat hangers and tied them on with 2 zip ties. I made these in 5 minutes and zero cost. I flattened the bottom where they meet the stock skid so they don't rotate out of position. You can bend the coat hangers easily with just a little heat from a lighter.
I hope some of you can use this idea. extensions are 1" long, and I may shorten then with wire cutter to 3/4". They work excellent, and they are super light weight. If you want, you can turn them 180 degrees and they will be skids like the original. I will be making another set to look like the original skids.

unnamed.jpg

Awesome innovation, i love it....

BigSky said:
Hey Guys and Gals.
I hope some of you can use this idea. extensions are 1" long, and I may shorten them with wire cutter to 3/4". They work excellent, and they are super light weight. If you want, you can turn them 180 degrees and they will be skids like the original. I will be making another set to look like the original skids.

unnamed.jpg
Looks like your design will allow the phantom to fit in a case by easly removing them?

Its OK if you are landing on hard surfaces, but you wouldnt want to land on grass with 4 spikes !

If you want something on the landing gear just use hard foam insulation for insulating water pipes, cut to length and small cable ties, weighs sod all and raises it slightly and still have the full surface area of the skids.

;)

Has anyone here had trouble getting parts for their gimbal? Here's my story - my rotorpixel order was #363 and I received my shipping notice on March 14. I was fortunate in being overseas when it arrived and was able to read about Geert and MattOlieman's problem with a short in the junction board. I contacted Keri and received advice on how to use a multimeter to check for shorts. Mine also had a short so I haven’t fitted it to my P2V thus avoiding the dreaded frying of the P2V circuit board.
With further advice from Keri I attempted to remove the offending solder from the junction board however it still has a short.
Keri told me he would send me a replacement junction board on April 06 but I'm guessing he forgot. I have attempted to contact him again numerous times to find out if he has sent it and if there is a tracking number for it but I am not getting any response. I hope that one day he will send me the replacement board but I am not holding my breath. In the mean time I carry on staring at a $389 gimbal paperweight on my kitchen table. I hope you people have better luck with getting parts than me. I am looking into ways of getting my money back.

Thanks Geert, I will give it another try. I have also found a phone number for him at reefnet so I might try giving him a call.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl