Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

About the 30fps vs. 29fps thing ...

It might be due to NTSC video using a frame rate of 29.97fps (almost 30fps). The frame rate is slightly different than 30fps to avoid some problems using 30fps would have caused when color was added to the NTSC standard.

-- Roger

I guess the temperature would also make the dampers a little more pliable in warm conditions as they will get more flexible ? That and age of the dampers could make them a little springier ? Just wondering if it would be harder to find a happy medium with warm and springy dampers ?

Or I could be talking complete poo !

:lol:

I know RotorPixel is planning a third axis (Z) stabization feature for the RP they are currently selling. Can someone explain to me what that third axis gimbal does? I understand the X-axis gimbal stabilizes the camera for the pitch of the P2V and the Y-axis gimbal the roll. The Z-axis I do not really understand other than perhaps minor fluctuations in the yaw might be eliminated from the camera's perspective. TIA.

As I patiently await my Rotorpixel gimbal, I just spoke with a dealer and never new if you purchase a Phantom 2 with whatever gimbal and GoPro, that even though you have video down link you have no way to control camera as GoPro wifi signal interferes with Phantom 2, so you have to set the camera for multiple stills before it leaves the ground, or if shooting video same deal, turn on camera before takeoff. Knowing this definitely makes me appreciate my Vision and stick with Rotorpixel gimbal. That is unless DJI announces a 3 axis gimbal for Vision before I receive my Rotorpixel. Another dealer (makes 3 now) said he has heard rumors that the NAB convention could be the time they do and NAB convention is next week!

EricT said:
The Z-axis I do not really understand other than perhaps minor fluctuations in the yaw might be eliminated from the camera's perspective.

That's it. It's not as major an upgrade as adding the second axis, but will be nice.

-- Roger

tedw123 said:
As I patiently await my Rotorpixel gimbal, I just spoke with a dealer and never new if you purchase a Phantom 2 with whatever gimbal and GoPro, that even though you have video down link you have no way to control camera as GoPro wifi signal interferes with Phantom 2, so you have to set the camera for multiple stills before it leaves the ground, or if shooting video same deal, turn on camera before takeoff. Knowing this definitely makes me appreciate my Vision and stick with Rotorpixel gimbal. That is unless DJI announces a 3 axis gimbal for Vision before I receive my Rotorpixel. Another dealer (makes 3 now) said he has heard rumors that the NAB convention could be the time they do and NAB convention is next week!

unless you install the gopro+zenmuse on the P2vision.Then you could use the wifi, BUT, the GOpro wifi range is weak nonetheless.;(
and would not be using any of the app integration.It would be as if you changed the P2vision into a P2 with different frequency, toss vision camera an app, and install all necessary FPV equipment to work with the gopro

Geert, try deleting the app, and re-loading it. That may fix the problem. Also, make sure everything is turned on in the camera setting display in the main menu. Sometimes these glitches appear when the download doesn't go perfectly.

Pull_Up said:
djscoutmaster said:
I'm having problems with my gimbal when pointed straight down it seems to shake a bit. Enought that it noticabily shows up in the video. Any ideas on how to fix this?

If you're fine in other orientations then it could be a cable fouling or being at full stretch. Check there is enough slack in the IMU cable to let the camera tilt fully - if there is resistance or a snag then the gimbal will jitter as it gets pulled back from where it wants to be then tries to correct.

Check the orientation of the jack plug into the camera in case it's the white cable giving the issue by actually having too much slack. When I first fit mine the loop in the white cable was too big and caught on the gimbal frame as the camera tilted. A tweak of the plug orientation meant it cleared the frame when tipping the camera - check by hand. If it's still too long you can try carefully pulling some excess back through the zip tie if that's the problem.

Double checked all possible snags and everything is good. Now it's vibrating when pointing straight forward. I double checked all connections again and all seems good. I had the exact same issue with the first gimble they sent me. Not sure what's going on at this point.

hqcariello said:
tedw123 said:

unless you install the gopro+zenmuse on the P2vision.Then you could use the wifi, BUT, the GOpro wifi range is weak nonetheless.;(
and would not be using any of the app integration.It would be as if you changed the P2vision into a P2 with different frequency, toss vision camera an app, and install all necessary FPV equipment to work with the gopro

You would have a video down link but you still cannot take pictures on demand, at least that's what the tech that builds the aircrafts at a DJI dealer and ships them out said. Looking forward to my Rotorpixel gimbal.

Previous quote from Keri: "By mid week next week, we're hoping to be at around #410-420", so I'd think Wed or Thu we might see some shipping notices, especially my #410 :)

This is what Keri posted on Thursday "We should start rolling them out tomorrow."

It's now Tuesday and there hasn't been any rolled out.

But, I've learned to take the timetable he states with a grain of salt. It helps that I just received the phantom 2 with the gimbal :)

jadebox said:
EricT said:
The Z-axis I do not really understand other than perhaps minor fluctuations in the yaw might be eliminated from the camera's perspective.

That's it. It's not as major an upgrade as adding the second axis, but will be nice.

-- Roger
I've seen a video of a phantom with a 3rd axes for yaw. I'm not sure if it was posted on the forum or I just came across it on YouTube but can't find it now.

Anyway, the problem I see with that video is the the yaw of the camera is delayed to stabilize it. Thus the feet of the phantom are often in the video as the pilot yaws it.

MikeySoft said:
jadebox said:
EricT said:

-- Roger
I've seen a video of a phantom with a 3rd axes for yaw. I'm not sure if it was posted on the forum or I just came across it on YouTube but can't find it now.

Anyway, the problem I see with that video is the the yaw of the camera is delayed to stabilize it. Thus the feet of the phantom are often in the video as the pilot yaws it.

I found the video with the 3d gimbal. You can see the phantom's feet around 1:15, 1:40 and 2:22.

World's First DJI Zenmuse H3-3D Stability Demo: http://youtu.be/Trw9aS22w9s

djscoutmaster said:
Pull_Up said:
djscoutmaster said:
I'm having problems with my gimbal when pointed straight down it seems to shake a bit. Enought that it noticabily shows up in the video. Any ideas on how to fix this?

If you're fine in other orientations then it could be a cable fouling or being at full stretch. Check there is enough slack in the IMU cable to let the camera tilt fully - if there is resistance or a snag then the gimbal will jitter as it gets pulled back from where it wants to be then tries to correct.

Check the orientation of the jack plug into the camera in case it's the white cable giving the issue by actually having too much slack. When I first fit mine the loop in the white cable was too big and caught on the gimbal frame as the camera tilted. A tweak of the plug orientation meant it cleared the frame when tipping the camera - check by hand. If it's still too long you can try carefully pulling some excess back through the zip tie if that's the problem.

Double checked all possible snags and everything is good. Now it's vibrating when pointing straight forward. I double checked all connections again and all seems good. I had the exact same issue with the first gimble they sent me. Not sure what's going on at this point.

The cause of your shaking, vibrating might be too much power output on the motors. I had a lot of shaking and got it fixed by lowering the power output.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor