return to home altitude

Reaction score
what would be the best setting for RTH height ?, do I need the smart go home on or off. also I the apple app of DJI GO there is a tutorial on off switch what does this do ? I put it to on but nothing happened.

It all depends on the flying environment. Open field, no trees, no buildings vs urban area with lots of buildings or trees. Set it higher than any obstacle that is nearby, and give yourself some wiggle room. FAA recommends staying below 400 ft. When I fly at home, I set it at 70 meters (229 feet)- which gives me plenty of room to clear any of the trees or buildings in my immediate area.

That said, some people like to run their batteries down to a point where it would be risky to use the power to climb on a RTH. I recommend setting it somewhat high, and heed the warnings your app will give you.

Smart Home and tutorial mode are documented elsewhere in this forum I believe.

As advise I would say don't set it too low, don't run it without having some battery reserve.
It is all matter what you do with your drone.
A day or another it will return home on its own and you will be happy it hit nothing on the way.
When arriving at a flight site, always review the altitude set and if it is compatible with the environment.
Always be aware that it will come back straight to you and there could be some unexpected obstacle (hill, building, tree).

Last edited:
Steve RTH should be set according to your surrounding.

Mine is set to 150meters as a precaution, however I do change it depending on where I'am.

For where I am I have rth at 50m. Fly between 50 and 100 when 'transiting' as there's a fair amount of light aircraft in the areas so under 120 m here is a safe option.

what would be the best setting for RTH height ?, do I need the smart go home on or off. also I the apple app of DJI GO there is a tutorial on off switch what does this do ? I put it to on but nothing happened.

Like everyone else I set mine based on where I'm flying. Typically 40-50m is fine for me . Depends on where you are . The more important thing is to be aware of it each time you fly and adjust appropriately.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl