REMOTE ID P4P V2

If you have a P4P V2, then a firmware update will be coming from DJI. May not be till the end of the year, but they said the P4P V2 will get a firmware update for the RID. So, you don't need to buy an add on. Of course after September 16th you'll need one, but I am hoping DJI gets the firmware release out early.

For those who threw rocks at me for fretting about this months ago and why all the rush.... I just called a Remote ID provider and was told they are out of stock and to expect deliveries anywhere from 5 to 10 weeks... which in the real world means 10-15 weeks.
Ye of little faith…still 6 weeks away and you are still fretting! Plenty of other RID providers will materialize over the next 6 weeks. Patience, Grasshopper!

See comments around the 55 minute mark Professional Pilot Program - DRONES regarding the 90 day grace period implemented by the FAA (this is from the course authorized by the FAA on regulatory updates). DJI has issued notice that this firmware update for remote ID will come no later than December so we should be okay.

See comments around the 55 minute mark Professional Pilot Program - DRONES regarding the 90 day grace period implemented by the FAA (this is from the course authorized by the FAA on regulatory updates). DJI has issued notice that this firmware update for remote ID will come no later than December so we should be okay.
That was for the manufacturers' compliance LAST year! The video is from 2022. There is no 90 day grace period for pilots to comply this year in 2023. It's a hard deadline, unless the FAA decides to postpone or change it. As of today, there is no grace period.

Reactions: MTO
For those who threw rocks at me for fretting about this months ago and why all the rush.... I just called a Remote ID provider and was told they are out of stock and to expect deliveries anywhere from 5 to 10 weeks... which in the real world means 10-15 weeks.
Ordered my sweet, tiny Dronetag beacon from the Czech Republic for $215 two months ago, and have it now, just in time. In my busy drone business I can't afford to bet my profits with the "FAA is going to blink" crowd...

dronetag beacon.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered my sweet, tiny Dronetag beacon from the Czech Republic for $215 two months ago, and have it now, just in time. In my busy drone business I can't afford to bet my profits with the "FAA is going to blink" crowd...

View attachment 125450
Why would your profits be at risk?
Most likely, should it ever come up, a warning and a request to comply would be most likely result, as the FAA is all about education to encourage compliance rather than punishment, especially where there is no harm to anyone involved, and the parts needed to comply may potentially be unavailable.

In any event, it's still 16 days away, and the FAA could still extend the deadline for the public to comply, just like they did for the manufacturers last fall.

Why would your profits be at risk?
Most likely, should it ever come up, a warning and a request to comply would be most likely result, as the FAA is all about education to encourage compliance rather than punishment, especially where there is no harm to anyone involved, and the parts needed to comply may potentially be unavailable.

In any event, it's still 16 days away, and the FAA could still extend the deadline for the public to comply, just like they did for the manufacturers last fall.
I am a professional commercial drone operator, not a kid with a drone, been flying airplanes since 1969. Those who hire me do so based on my reputation. Willfully ignoring FAA regulations is not "all about education" but intentionally ignoring the rules. Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: Adamborz
I am a professional commercial drone operator, not a kid with a drone, been flying airplanes since 1969. Those who hire me do so based on my reputation. Willfully ignoring FAA regulations is not "all about education" but intentionally ignoring the rules. Thanks for your reply.
I never said the FAA regulations were about education. The FAA enforcement is about ensuring compliance by education first, especially where there is no harm whatsoever involved, and said regulations may be difficult if not impossible to comply with by the deadline with older equipment. That's hardly willfully ignoring of the regulation. It may be a technical violation, should one be unable to comply, but your profits were hardly ever at risk. Until one can obtain the necessary module for discontinued drones, one can certainly buy a new comparable drone which is already RID compliant at any Best Buy. As a professional, that would be my backup plan. One might also find that the newer drones will cut costs through the vastly improved flight time, and actually be more profitable than older models! Your clients will also appreciate that you are successful enough that you can afford the latest equipment.

Last edited:
I never said the FAA regulations were about education. The FAA enforcement is about ensuring compliance by education first, especially where there is no harm whatsoever involved, and said regulations may be difficult if not impossible to comply with by the deadline with older equipment. That's hardly willfully ignoring of the regulation. It may be a technical violation, should one be unable to comply, but your profits were hardly ever at risk. Until one can obtain the necessary module for discontinued drones, one can certainly buy a new comparable drone which is already RID compliant at any Best Buy. As a professional, that would be my backup plan. One might also find that the newer drones will cut costs through the vastly improved flight time, and actually be more profitable than older models! Your clients will also appreciate that you are successful enough that you can afford the latest equipment.
There is nothing "difficult" about complying with the deadline. The feds have been telling us for years Remote ID was coming and stand-alone beacons have been available for over a year. Not being prepared on 9/16 is willful ignorance. Those who are still hoping and praying the FAA will delay implementing the rule and did not prepare, are not living in reality.

PS- Are you with the FAA? You are using their official logo so I am asking.

There is nothing "difficult" about complying with the deadline. The feds have been telling us for years Remote ID was coming and stand-alone beacons have been available for over a year. Not being prepared on 9/16 is willful ignorance. Those who are still hoping and praying the FAA will delay implementing the rule and did not prepare, are not living in reality.

PS- Are you with the FAA? You are using their official logo so I am asking.
Remote ID requirement isn't happening on September 16th.
It will be some later date.

Are you with the FAA? You are using their official logo so I am asking.
I do not speak for the FAA. However, I fully support and endorse them, and their educational efforts to gain UAS pilot compliance, and have for over 7 years on this very forum. The FAA has a history of delaying their previously announced deadlines. They extended the manufacturers' RID deadline last year. They are doing the same with the UAS pilot's RID deadline now. Sorry if you don't like that, and there will be no "boo hoo" for those not yet in compliance.

Last edited:
A post in one of our other forums where a member emailed the FAA after seeing the Ken Heron video.

Post in thread '18 days of flight left...'
18 days of flight left...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
A post in one of our other forums where a member emailed the FAA after seeing the Ken Heron video.

Post in thread '18 days of flight left...'
18 days of flight left...
Thanks for the additional corroboration:

"The FAA is aware of the concerns; we are considering options with respect to relief from the 16 Sep compliance date. We will have more to share with you in the near future on FAA websites and social media."

One of our other forum members has indicated the "relief" announcement will officially occur at the Commercial UAV Expo in Las Vegas September 5-7, later this week.

Stay tuned…

Last edited:
S
I do not speak for the FAA. However, I fully support and endorse them, and their educational efforts to gain UAS pilot compliance, and have for over 7 years on this very forum. The FAA has a history of delaying their previously announced deadlines. They extended the manufacturers' RID deadline last year. They are doing the same with the UAS pilot's RID deadline now. Sorry if you don't like that, and there will be no "boo hoo" for those not yet in compliance.

It isn't about what I like or don't like, pal. It's about spreading misinformation, and doing it under the guise of an FAA seal.

It isn't about what I like or don't like, pal. It's about spreading misinformation, and doing it under the guise of an FAA seal.
Clearly it is, and I am not your "pal."!

It is not misinformation, even though you don't like it. I have repeatedly cited the basis and source of the shared information, which is not my own. Multiple other sources have since confirmed it. Stay tuned. The FAA is about to make it official, according to multiple sources.

Note: The terminology of the announcement might be different than expected.
The September 16 compliance date might remain, but enforcement may be suspended until a later date, to give people time to comply. We should know by Friday, assuming the "relief" is announced at Commercial UAV Expo this week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart