Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

Reactions: Matchlock and lb650
People are just not going to register the birds any more and hide they self while flying so if something happen you never know who's responsible.... this is worse just like banning weapons while there are millions out there all over the place...

They keep pushing and people are just going to forget there are any rules because they are impossible to follow any
Way....

Reactions: isopro
Last evening I took my P3 4K to one of my regular flying places, in the middle of the city. It's maybe 60 acres of industrial wasteland and tidal marsh. My home point was at the farthest point of a parking lot from the nearest building. I wanted to know exactly how far the building was from me so I measured it using the drone. 56m!
Well to my eyes 56m is a long way from the building!
The rest of the flying was done within 500m visual line of sight and from -5 to max 90m altitude.
Discretion has to be used as to what is safe for take off and landing points.

Oh I forgot..... 200m away is a privately owned helipad used maybe 12 times a year..... I'm bad. [emoji847]

I don't mind rules, but I dislike overly oppressive restrictions. As for "registering drones, we all will still have to register them even if only to DJI. You can't even get a DJI drone to start unless it is registered with DJI. So anyone who breaks the rules can always be tracked from DJI records.

The thing that's important right now, is that every single drone owner in Canada should write a letter to Mr. Garneau about this and use the letter from the gentleman at Great Hobbies as a starting point. Write a letter, using your own words along the same lines. If enough of us write to him it could very well change some of these new restrictions. Let's face it, it can't hurt, and we have everything to lose.

After seeing the letter from Jim Ewing of Great Hobbies, I'm writing my letter today. Also, remember, you don't even need to put a stamp on the envelope as any letter to a minister requires no stamp.

Please consider writing your letter today.

Bud

People are just not going to register the birds any more and hide they self while flying so if something happen you never know who's responsible.... this is worse just like banning weapons while there are millions out there all over the place...

They keep pushing and people are just going to forget there are any rules because they are impossible to follow any
Way....

Last edited:
Reactions: isopro
Am in US, out of loop wrt Canada ban of recreational drone without commercial licenses, but
in addition to letter writing...

multiple drone flash mobs on grounds of pertinent government buildings throughout Canada;
imagine (100+) owners controlling (100+) drones turned on-off-on-off-on simultaneously to
maximize noise WITHOUT leaving ground** -- certain to attract press.
**possibly by attaching weight underneath too heavy for drone to take-off...?
(personally couldn't do nothing whilst waiting to learn if letters have effect)

So only Canada aerials I can take are by standing on US side of border, flying straight up...?

Last edited:
Buy it with cash and register with dji using cash prepaid gift card and never register.... its possible... not that I'm doing it but it's puching people to do that. As they can't follow the impossible to follow rules better be safe if something happens...

This argument will worry them no to push to much or drones in the air will have no owners... I hope

Im in the USA so we are ok for now but if it's going that way in Canada it's going to make it to the states soon just wait until things come down with all the stupidness going on in the White House now.....

I don't mind rules, but I dislike overly oppressive restrictions. As for "registering drones, we all will still have to register them even if only to DJI. You can get a DJI drone to start unless it is registered with DJI. So anyone who breaks the rules can always be tracked from DJI records.

The thing that's important right now, is that every single drone owner in Canada should write a letter to Mr. Garneau about this and use the letter from the gentleman at Great Hobbies as a starting point. Write a letter, using your own words along the same lines. If enough of us write to him it could very well change some of these new restrictions. Let's face it, it can't hurt, and we have everything to lose.

After seeing the letter from Jim Ewing of Great Hobbies, I'm writing my letter today. Also, remember, you don't even need to put a stamp on the envelope as any letter to a minister requires no stamp.

Please consider writing your letter today.

Bud

Reactions: Matchlock
We couldn't find that Web page (Error 404)

..... and idiots like Casey Neistat are going to ruin it for the Americans as well. They are already looking at him from what I hear.

Bud

The gov will blame consumer drones...while I agree there re many idiots out there have ruined it for the rest of us, many objects seen by pilots and or police are only guessing they are drones just like the porter incident last year, it was a classic UFO , no drone could have made it that far out and altitude...pilots finally agreed it could not have been a drone. The truth is, there are way more UAP/ or UFO in the skies being reported wth near misses by pilots than drones. I know because I film them in Vancouver, and its known fact..No one knows what they are so instead and once again, Gov will have to blame the public and the drone community are the ones suffering

I have a solution. We need to establish a religion that involves flying drones as a form of prayer or worship. In Canada, people are free to pray and worship in public places, at night, and near other people and animals. So we just need to say that we fly our drones as a form of worship. Anyone want to join me in the first church of the almighty drone god? ;-)

I have a solution. We need to establish a religion that involves flying drones as a form of prayer or worship. In Canada, people are free to pray and worship in public places, at night, and near other people and animals. So we just need to say that we fly our drones as a form of worship. Anyone want to join me in the first church of the almighty drone god? ;-)

That is ... GENIUS!!! Don't think it will actually fly, but I will become a follower on a casual basis!
;););)

Reactions: Red05 and Lobot

Too funny!

I need to go buy a Persian prayer rug with a drone on it, and some incense burners too. I can see some RCMP writing up a report about some guy bowing and praying on a rug while flying a drone. Actually, seeing someone doing that out in a vacant field might be a reason to avoid them entirely too. Needs a machete for effect too. :eek: :D

"Freedom of religion."

Last edited:
Too funny!

I need to go buy a Persian prayer rug with a drone on it, and some incense burners too. I can see some RCMP writing up a report about some guy bowing and praying on a rug while flying a drone. Actually, seeing someone doing that out in a vacant field doing that might be a reason to avoid them entirely too. Needs a machete for effect too. :eek: :D

"Freedom of religion."

LOL! Excellent post. We just need a ceremonial headdress to make it look legit. We could say that the drone is carrying our prayers up to the drone god ...who dwells more than 300 feet above the earth.

Like I said earlier though. With idiots like Casey Neistat in New York City fyling just about anywhere he pleases it won't be long before the US government puts a stop to it there as well. This fool has already crashed his drone into people on the ground and so far he's got away with it. As far as what he does on YouTube, Google won't touch him because they make millions from what he does. Neistat makes over $90,000. a month on YouTube alone. They will catch up with him though and then the law will come down on everyone unfortunately.

Bud

Buy it with cash and register with dji using cash prepaid gift card and never register.... its possible... not that I'm doing it but it's puching people to do that. As they can't follow the impossible to follow rules better be safe if something happens...

This argument will worry them no to push to much or drones in the air will have no owners... I hope

Im in the USA so we are ok for now but if it's going that way in Canada it's going to make it to the states soon just wait until things come down with all the stupidness going on in the White House now.....

Can anyone help me with this part of the Interim Orders?

(b)
at a lateral distance of less than 250 feet (75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals and the public including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft;

Does this mean I am allowed to have someone with me to help me get my wheelchair out of the back of my SUV and stand beside me while I fly?

Thanks for any help.

Bud

How can Ottawa do that for a country covering nearly 10 million square kilometres?! Mind you, as an observer from over the other side of the pond, you guys voted a freedom hater in the guise of Trudeau. I don't like him for a myriad of different reasons.

There is one reason and one reason alone why Freedom hating governments and park authorities and others are acting like this: camera on the drone, and, money. If people do their own videos and images, it will probably be seen as a threat to income streams (books, post cards, photographs, etc.), and, it is one rule for some (i.e. Military, police, etc. free to use image and video drones), but loss of freedoms for others. I went to a meeting with a local council concerning drone use in an SSSI area (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and there was a blanket ban, and you wanted to hear the excuses for it: "we are responsible for the public and any wildlife". I said: "why do you allow helicopters to fly low, and jet aircraft at the annual airbourne show then? What you are doing is akin to: 'oh.no, there COULD be a car accident so lets ban driving!' "

Reactions: DC_Dr0ne and GMack

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart