Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

drone do's and don'ts.PNG

So Canada's ceiling altitude is 270 feet now. Much lower than USA's FAA set at 400 feet.

Seems a football field and a half (450 feet) is a bit much to stay away from people, buildings, structures, vehicles, animals, etc.

So if you takeoff in your suburban neighborhood, you automatically break the rule of being 450 feet away from buildings, yet cannot fly higher than 270 feet either. Dunno, it's a gray "Gotcha law."

Fly 'em while you still got 'em - albeit maybe fly guerrilla style and don't get caught.

So Canada's ceiling altitude is 270 feet now. Much lower than USA's FAA set at 400 feet.

Seems a football field and a half (450 feet) is a bit much to stay away from people, buildings, structures, vehicles, animals, etc.

So if you takeoff in your suburban neighborhood, you automatically break the rule of being 450 feet away from buildings, yet cannot fly higher than 270 feet either. Dunno, it's a gray "Gotcha law."

Fly 'em while you still got 'em - albeit maybe fly guerrilla style and don't get caught.

And 9km from any landing strip, airport, landing pad, is like making it illegal in the whole country...

Reactions: Guillaume Tremblay

297 feet if you want to be technical

As I read the article, it does seem they loosen up the rules above if you get a commercial license. Does seem the Minister is out to get recreational drone operators though.

As to their 150 metres (450 feet) away from anyone ruling, I doubt if I can see mine at 150 metres so it may mean: "If anyone other than you sees it, you've broken the law."

Reactions: Jeff Wareing
I don't mind the 9km form landing strips, etc at all, I don't want to be anywhere near planes taking off & landing!
More important, there was a mention of age limit to even fly a UAV, which I think is a great ruling, but, i'd say 18yrs.old be a good start. The only issues i've personally seen, is kids of 11, maybe13 yrs.old, maybe, flying drones, & not $30-40 ones,. but, fairly large , fast machines, fly high enough to disappear.
I asked what machine is that, A walker something?
Anyway, last I saw of it & last the owner saw of it too, it went up,up out of sight, I left after 30 minutes & they were still looking for it.
These boys were into trying to drop things from their drones, & not much else

I'm crushed!
No night flying.
No flying within 75 meters of a building
RCMP will be enforcing the laws.
More restrictions to follow in June which likely include having a license to fly recreationally

After looking at my Airmap... Most cities are now effectively NFZ's.

Getting a commercial license here is difficult and you will need a flight waiver (also difficult to get) to fly in almost any urban or suburban location.

I hope I am panicking about nothing but I think they just killed drones in Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: jwmcgrath
I have read the news reports and nothing in them are a surprise and will not drastically change how people fly. Those that have habitually ignored the guidelines (long distance flights etc.) will still do so with the new rules. Those that tried to live within the guidelines will do their best to live within the rules. For me nothing much has changed. I rarely fly higher than 300 feet (90 Meters). If I'm near people. animals etc. I will increase altitude so I'm more than 75 meters away from them. I fly in a rural area so all I really have to be concerned with is the 9 km aircraft no fly zone. I'm sure I will inadvertently, or on occasion, intentionally break the rules but I'm not going to get all paranoid about my flying.

I have read the news reports and nothing in them are a surprise and will not drastically change how people fly. Those that have habitually ignored the guidelines (long distance flights etc.) will still do so with the new rules. Those that tried to live within the guidelines will do their best to live within the rules. For me nothing much has changed. I rarely fly higher than 300 feet (90 Meters). If I'm near people. animals etc. I will increase altitude so I'm more than 75 meters away from them. I fly in a rural area so all I really have to be concerned with is the 9 km aircraft no fly zone. I'm sure I will inadvertently, or on occasion, intentionally break the rules but I'm not going to get all paranoid about my flying.

(9km from any landing strip, landing pad, airport, etc... Is impossible to follow in Canada...

We just all have to become farmers .....

"Yes officer - I was just taking out my drone to check on the cattle!"

I don't mind the 9km form landing strips, etc at all, I don't want to be anywhere near planes taking off & landing!
More important, there was a mention of age limit to even fly a UAV, which I think is a great ruling, but, i'd say 18yrs.old be a good start. The only issues i've personally seen, is kids of 11, maybe13 yrs.old, maybe, flying drones, & not $30-40 ones,. but, fairly large , fast machines, fly high enough to disappear.
I asked what machine is that, A walker something?
Anyway, last I saw of it & last the owner saw of it too, it went up,up out of sight, I left after 30 minutes & they were still looking for it.
These boys were into trying to drop things from their drones, & not much else
What!? 9KM from a landing strip. Do you have ANY idea what these parameters are?

Wow, I feel for you guys up there in Canada. I really thought that the US would do the 'knee-jerk reaction ' before Canada did. We tend to outlaw everything first and figure out why later.

Hang in there and lobby for what's right. Don't give up yet!

Reactions: biker4life60
Seeing that it is now law that you have to have your name, address and phone number on your drone (which seems to be a breach of privacy laws - never mind that it means you must have a phone number to fly a drone) I suggest that we all give our drones to:

Marc Garneau
4060 Sainte-Catherine Street West
Suite 340
Westmount, Quebec
H3Z 2Z3

Then he can start racking up the fines.

The sad part is at the news conference it didn't appear that any representatives from Industry or the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (the "officially" sanctioned hobbyist's group) were there. Just cops from Toronto and the RCMP. Actually, this only garnered a small entry on the MAAC website today. Of course MAAC airfields and events are exempted from these new laws. I want my membership money back. I think we were sold out.

I guess you could also use
Rodger Williams, President of MAAC
+1 418 564-5225
Unit 9, 5100 South Service Road,
Burlington, ON
L7L 6A5

For your contact information as well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member