Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

Seems to me there's little value offering our own alternative limits on drone use without dealing directly with the concerns giving rise to the new rules.

There's no doubt Transport Canada is getting more reports of "drone incidents": wwwapps.tc.gc.ca. I put that in quotes because reports don't necessarily represent reality, and I have some doubt the pilot at 5,000' saw a drone and not a gull, but the reports are coming in. And it's hard to argue with crashed drones discovered on airport properties.

Recreational drones are exactly that, so comparing them to cars or planes is a false equivalency. Can't regulate recreational devices like you do key transportation infrastructure. As public necessities planes beat drones every day.

If we're going to come up with a rational response we need to take account of the reality. The inconsiderate and irresponsible yahoos are going to drive public sentiment and legislation. How do we target the idiots while maintaining enough room for us to enjoy our (essentially unnecessary) hobby?

That's a very good question.
Maybe one thing would be to educate our local MP about drones and exactly what they do safely. I'm going to start with that approach. The local MP for Saint John has always been very approachable and reasonable.

Also we need drone flyers to be reasonable and safe, not push the envelope just because it's a fun thing to do.

I suppose they could make it simple by requiring a 'drivers licence'/UAV licence. Pass the test and you are good to go same as driving your car. I agree with restrictions around airports and height restrictions around helipads, etc. but since I know the laws for driving my 'deadly' car, I am allowed to drive where I choose...near other cars, buildings, people, animals, etc. I find this ruling over-reaction to the issue. While thousands die from car accidents, there are no driving restrictions imposed except on offenders, not those who drive responsibly. I cannot see this being effective as drones are proliferating and how do they plan on monitoring/controlling infractions? I live near an RCMP heliport and I would very much like for Mr. Garneau to ban those choppers flying directly over my house as I fear it may fall on me one day! They also fly directly over the school playground, and Hwy 1....so dangerous it should be stopped. Not to mention they frighten the marmots (an endangered species) known to inhabit the area. :) There are good laws and bad laws. Common sense differentiates one from the other. This law will not work in practice. The long gun registration did not work because citizens refused to comply....I see this happening with drones as well. Someone will eventually see the error and revise/repeal as many will simply not comply.

I suppose they could make it simple by requiring a 'drivers licence'/UAV licence. Pass the test and you are good to go same as driving your car. I agree with restrictions around airports and height restrictions around helipads, etc. but since I know the laws for driving my 'deadly' car, I am allowed to drive where I choose...near other cars, buildings, people, animals, etc. I find this ruling over-reaction to the issue. While thousands die from car accidents, there are no driving restrictions imposed except on offenders, not those who drive responsibly. I cannot see this being effective as drones are proliferating and how do they plan on monitoring/controlling infractions? I live near an RCMP heliport and I would very much like for Mr. Garneau to ban those choppers flying directly over my house as I fear it may fall on me one day! They also fly directly over the school playground, and Hwy 1....so dangerous it should be stopped. Not to mention they frighten the marmots (an endangered species) known to inhabit the area. :) There are good laws and bad laws. Common sense differentiates one from the other. This law will not work in practice. The long gun registration did not work because citizens refused to comply....I see this happening with drones as well. Someone will eventually see the error and revise/repeal as many will simply not comply.
Love all the comments, since I have the only petition that will be sent to Marc Garneau, please if we could point out some immediate revisions to the law so I can add it to the petition.Lets all discuss this over the next 24 hours and I will post what we all agree upon...make sense?

> if we could point out some immediate revisions to the law so I can add it to the petition

You could point out to Garneau that these regulations will almost certainly cause many Canadians to be charged / convicted under these rules, and will make them less employable if a record check is done on them, and will almost certainly bar them from travel to the US, which is a big deal if their job depends on US travel (sales, etc). You know that the RCMP and other police agencies will be be very eager to establish precidence and charge someone under these new laws once they are in effect. The police just love it when they get new laws to enforce.

Here's my 2 cents. As rsgreenx stated drone incidents are and will be inevitable, same as auto incidents ,commercial airline and military AC. But those are acceptable as a fact of life. Those three are government approved because you have to to be a certain age and are supposedly qualified or certified to operate them. All three of those have caused and will continue to cause damage,destruction,and even fatalities, it's inevitable,fact of life, accidents happen. Let's be realistic about the damage a drone the size of the phantom could cause in an urban area, minuscule compared to a vehicular crash or got forbid a commercial plane crash. Most likely destroy the drone than do any significant damage someone's personal property. Sure someone could be injured by a crashing drone. But you have more chance of being hit by a car walking down the street. We can't live our lives wondering (what if). Maybe there needs to be an age restriction,mandatory insurance and certification. I don't think that those people that really enjoy the hobby would have a problem with this. As for the rules, I agree with the nfz around airports but I think 9k is a little extreme,I think 5km would be more realistic, if your flying just out side the 5km but within city boundaries the 90m max height rule is ok, I believe this keeps you under the 2 mile glide slope for commercial AC (maybe someone can confirm this) if you are totally out of city limits then the max alt should at least be increased to 120m. I do however believe that the restrictions being implemented within populated,public,and up built areas is more of a privacy issue. The general public believe that everyone who has a drone capable of flying any significant distance is spying,peeping,or casing their property. Yes unfortunately we have those people out there already, they just do it when your not home or from a distance with a telephoto lens. In the end I believe if we put some regs in place to hold people accountable for their actions same as driving a vehicle every body can "feel safe". But let's not get carried away with where we are not aloud to fly. Some common sense regarding probability factors would go a long way but that's asking a lot of government.

Reactions: rsgreenx
We are no longer allowed to fly 9km from airports, 75m from buildings, and a lot more, since 10am this morning...
And there is no way to get recreational liscence, etc...
Sad for everyone in Canada...

Ottawa toughens rules for operating recreational drones
IMG_8395 (1).jpg

I saw this coming. June 2017 I guess we will have some test and formal registration for all drones over 250 g. I am in Canada and I am surrounded by Aerodromes of one type or another. My concern is if I find a secluded place to fly away from buildings, people, cars, animals, emergency response efforts, hospitals, fires, built up areas, critical infrastructure, if one person shows up behind me while I am flying and says "hey is that a drone" I will need to have enough room to land the drone 75 m from the drones home position since a pedestrian is now within the designated landing zone, can't just hit return home to bring it back.

What the Gov needs to do is designate GREEN ZONES OR FLY ZONES and put signs for the public that say "Drones authorized in this area, you may be photographed or filmed if you enter xyz, enter at own risk" kind of like assumed road signs. No very good to just ban everything without providing a logical place for this hobby. Drones are here to stay so we better get all this sorted out in a logical manner not an emotional or biased one.

Wow, I hope that's not coming to the US. Seems over the top!
Don't worry, Americans won't go for it. Canada has always been one for "no' personal freedoms. No free speech, no guns, now no drones. In Texas, we already have an advisee organization to stop all "State" laws against drones. So far Texas has agreed that the Federal Laws are even too strict.

View attachment 78682

... What the Gov needs to do is designate GREEN ZONES OR FLY ZONES ...

I don't think we want to propose a regime in which the default is prohibition unless expressly permitted. That would be WAY more restrictive than what we're already facing. But the minister's office does need to give us some guidance on interpretation.

Good grief!

Let's also ban pressure cookers as they have killed more people than hobby drones. Make people get a license to use them and identify them with a registration number too. Want to use it? Get a permit from the city's "Pressure Cooker Authority" along with a $4 million liability bond.

I can foresee terrorists just waiting to get their hands on autonomous driving vehicles too. Those self-driving semi-trucks will make for a really big bang! Sorry, no more suicidal bombers need apply.

Common sense has long left the legislature.

Ib650 You have my agreement.
A few months ago I checked with my insurance company and found most do not have drone insurance or riders on home insurance for drone flying. The ones that do would be very expensive, on excess of 1000$.
The suggestion was made that if MAAC insurance covered drones then it would be a much less costly way to go. I don't have a problem with that but it would mean flying totally by MAAC safety code. That can be difficult in many areas.
Age restrictions and a registration do make sense.

Do any Canadian drone flyers have any expertise or knowledge of reasonable insurance??

Ib650 You have my agreement.
A few months ago I checked with my insurance company and found most do not have drone insurance or riders on home insurance for drone flying. The ones that do would be very expensive, on excess of 1000$.
The suggestion was made that if MAAC insurance covered drones then it would be a much less costly way to go. I don't have a problem with that but it would mean flying totally by MAAC safety code. That can be difficult in many areas.
Age restrictions and a registration do make sense.

Do any Canadian drone flyers have any expertise or knowledge of reasonable insurance??

I know of Drone Insurance Depot - Home, cost me 450$ a year for 100,000$ coverage of an inspire 1 pro commercial usages per SOFC and exemptions, in whole canada.

Please don't make it personal and please don't call my country ridiculous. I can mail a handgun to another person in Canada. CAN YOU???

Bud

Canada is known for being more strict on almost everything. This is why I stay out of that ridiculous Country.

Reactions: DAF
I have six syma x5c or clones quad copters that I fly in the backyard are these exempt from the new rules being they only weight between 150 and 200 grams fully loaded and yes they are equipped with 720p recording camera or wifi cam. I have notice a neighbor has a lawn jockey in their back yard. LoL I would really like to know if any of you folks know if they are also covered by these new regulations? Like my Phantom P3 4K and Protocol Galleo.

Last edited:
One thing I'd like clarified is the 75 meters from a person. How does one take a friend with him if this is the restriction? Also, do these new rules apply to my own property of 100 acres, and 13 acres?

I am a handicapped individual and often require a little help with unloading things like a wheelchair and Phantom hard case from the back of my SUV.

Bud

Love all the comments, since I have the only petition that will be sent to Marc Garneau, please if we could point out some immediate revisions to the law so I can add it to the petition.Lets all discuss this over the next 24 hours and I will post what we all agree upon...make sense?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor