Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

It's really unfortunate that we're likely on our own with this mess, but perhaps (like someone said earlier) we'll have a lawyer in our midst that can help out with this. I have no trouble paying the lawyer either. Anything to keep our drone sport alive and well without silly restrictions like these. In the meantime, I'll sign this effort to immediately halt of these ridiculous "safety" laws that Static8 has mentioned above.

Thanks for your comment too, I really appreciate it.

Bud

M.A.A.C just made a huge cash-grab in this, now everyone who wan't to fly without going full commercial, need to PAY them for a membership... Their view of flying was never proven to be safer then the street kids enjoying their RC helis in parking lots, yet their lobbying was able to give them some form of control over government policy.
I agree with you Bud. A friend and I had the same experience with MAAC and when your idea of fun and enjoyment doesn't fit with their ideals you become an outcast.They also only politically support their own views. I went on to get my wings and my instructors wings as well and taught a few other members to fly fixed wing but when my friend and myself bucked the trend of the time of quarter scale and went 1/2 A school yard scale we were made to know we were not welcome also. We also lost two flying fields down here just to complaints by a couple of neighbors near the flying field its all it takes for Government to put the kibosh on things and MAAC did nothing to help. Now we are luck here we have 4 MAAC fields here in Niagara but I will not use them. The bottom line is the Government doesn't want to deal with complaints and will kill the hobby so they don't have too.

Reactions: daytona125
I wonder if DJI and other drone manufacturers have any lobiests or lawyers looking into these ridiculous rules. I'd imagine they will lose millions in sales because of this crap. I myself was going to upgrade from the p4 to something better. Not now.

I think Canadians will need a cloaking device on their next phantom in order to fly in their own back yards. Does any pilot here know a Klingon?

First guns, now drones. Where will it end? Thank the leftists that YOU elected.
How are drone laws in your neck of the woods? They were all invented by right wing governments. If you want to make this into a political issue, I think you are being very foolish. The Canadian laws took a lot longer to come into effect than those in the supposed land of the free.

He should have put a interim order that if any drone is flown within 9 km of an airport they can nail you big time, but all these unrealistic over reactive conditions are not very tough out. For a guy that went in space he sure can't see very far. Interim orders are short term, if he can get this thru the senate in a month it's a sad day for Canada because there are more pressing matters that need attention.
Nothing wrong flying 1-2km from an non-busy airport (such as small towns), as long as you keep yourself lower or at the height of the tallest obstacle/rooftop/tower around, and away from the landing/take-off routes, if an aircraft go that low he is about to crash anyway...
Well no, this is not true at all.
It says everywhere an aircraft, helicopter or floatplace can land, this means 9km from any lake, river, it includes privates landing pads, strips, etc...And the only places in super remote areas that are left will likely have an animal 75m away...

Nothing wrong flying 1-2km from an non-busy airport (such as small towns), as long as you keep yourself lower or at the height of the tallest obstacle/rooftop/tower around, and away from the landing/take-off routes, if an aircraft go that low he is about to crash anyway...

It says everywhere an aircraft, helicopter or floatplace can land, this means 9km from any lake, river, it includes privates landing pads, strips, etc...And the only places in super remote areas that are left will likely have an animal 75m away...
You nailed it and reason why I started this petition , please share to as many humans as possible..Its an absurd law, no matter where you fly the chances are high you are going to break the law. Its obvious the gov wants to kill the hobby so they don't have to deal wth any of it..Typical Hippocrates. .

Reactions: lb650
I flew my P3P quite a bit last summer in Ontario but over wilderness areas in the upper Great Lakes north of population centers. As a US resident I try to fly responsibly although the Litchi missions I fly often result in a lack of visual contact. I don't think these changes will adversely affect my flying.

I wonder if DJI and other drone manufacturers have any lobiests or lawyers looking into these ridiculous rules. I'd imagine they will lose millions in sales because of this crap. I myself was going to upgrade from the p4 to something better. Not now.
Exactly I was going to buy the P4Pro this weekend but not now.. Its really awful when the gov has this kind of power to take away peoples freedoms to enjoy a hobby, they should have outlawed them in the first place and made it illegal to purchase...I hate to use the smoking bylaws as comparison but they are treating the hobby very similar. Sure you can purchase but can't smoke anywhere legally unless you are in your home , they even tried to fine you if smoking in your car. So they are doing the same thing with UAV's , sure go buy your quadcopter but we will fine you if you fly it...LIke smoking people look at you in disgust because you are potentially a law breaker or outcast and if I catch you flying I will call 911...people are generally ignorant and will follow whatever the goverments tell them to do...Its really awful how hey are now labelling all of us...Mark my word if you think I might exaggerating I'm not...and will prove it soon enough because I will fly in the same park where I have always taken my birds and I guarantee you someone will approach me and threaten to call 911 and make a huge deal of it., Just 2 weeks ago I had a crowd of people applauding loving the MAVIC pro, I've never had a complaint only the opposite.

Reactions: lb650
Whatever, just find a good hiding spot when flying, and don't fly too much in populated areas,
The way the Governments in this world work, is they will use the huge profit they will make from those fines, in order to fund even more rules, to generate more profit. Government were never about public safety, they always are about human resources exploitation, power, and profit.
I read most of the comment in this thread and I started this petition and it will be sent to Marc Garneau. Please sign and we can make some changes collectively. MAAC is doing their best to keep their fields open so they have to be very careful but we the operators have a voice , also if you have any suggestions about what the law should look like that is fair, I can add it to the petition. Marc Garneau: Immediate HALT of Transport Canada New Safety Rules for Recreational Drone use in Canada
Humm change.org force people to confirm their email and is not directly involved with parlement...Home - E-petitions sounds better to me for canadian issues, and it should be mentionned that 9km is overkill, as well as make sure to mention how the 75m away from animals rule is ridiculous, so when members of parlement see it...

Reactions: HenRee
The way the Governments in this world work, is they will use the huge profit they will make from those fines, in order to fund even more rules, to generate more profit. Government were never about public safety, they always are about human resources exploitation, power, and profit.

Humm change.org force people to confirm their email and is not directly involved with parlement...Home - E-petitions sounds better to me for canadian issues, and it should be mentionned that 9km is overkill, as well as make sure to mention how the 75m away from animals rule is ridiculous, so when members of parlement see it...
My first petition so I grabbed the first one..in any event the importance is the amount of people sign against the law. He has to respond to it..Can't just make it illegal without providing places to fly...sure keep the law then provide us with more fields in city limits to fly , if you exempt a MAAC field ??..

I live in Northern Ontario so 9 km from any lake or river is sorta almost impossible.

We are no longer allowed to fly 9km from airports, 75m from buildings, and a lot more, since 10am this morning...
And there is no way to get recreational liscence, etc...
Sad for everyone in Canada...

Ottawa toughens rules for operating recreational drones
interesting that no one has mentioned the other condition to which the distance restrictions apply, namely "affect the operations of model aircraft and recreational drones of more than 250 g and up to 35 kg"...this a quote from the Transport Canada website

I live in Northern Ontario so 9 km from any lake or river is sorta almost impossible.
I live in Vancouver so basically anywhere in West Coast of BC is a right off. Unless you live in the northern BC. Bottom line to fly in MAAC field is ridiculous for the thousands of people have UAVs now...ain't going to happen., reason there will be such a strain on the police depts people calling 911 , it's just not necessary.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart