Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

What I don't understand is, how is this LAW? Doesn't a law have to go through Royal Ascent to become Law? Or is this an Order In Council?

Also, don't they have to give us at least SOME notice of an impending law to be legal? For example, a person who is not in communication with anyone for days after they make this law could fly a drone not knowing there is a new law against it making him a criminal. This can't be right, can it?

Bud

That is exactly the way I feel this morning.

And I'm worried the feeling is not going to fade and I'm embarrassed for our country.

I'll contact them for sure, but can you tell me why this law will only last for 14 days if we contact these people?

Thanks for any help with this, because I'll do whatever it takes to get this repealed or thrown out or whatever we can do to kill it.

Bud

Everyone should try to contact the privy council in Canada and the governor general of Canada, so this only lasts for 14 days, check my post about what process of law was used ot enact this without any vote...

What I don't understand is, how is this LAW? Doesn't a law have to go through Royal Ascent to become Law? Or is this an Order In Council?

Also, don't they have to give us at least SOME notice of an impending law to be legal? For example, a person who is not in communication with anyone for days after they make this law could fly a drone not knowing there is a new law against it making him a criminal. This can't be right, can it?

Bud

They're calling them "restrictions and rules", because no, they can't be law, which has to go through two readings in the house first... but you know for sure this is just a lead-in to what will become law if it's not stopped.

Reactions: Matchlock
Yes, and you're right. I would just like to know how to help get this stopped.

Whatever it takes.

Bud

They're calling them "restrictions and rules", because no, they can't be law, which has to go through two readings in the house first... but you know for sure this is just a lead-in to what will become law if it's not stopped.

Is there any groups or drone club that will try to fight these new regulations? Any groups that could need any type of support, even financial (for lawyers for exemple)

Yes, there's the Central Ontario Drone Racers that race under the auspices of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada. Here's their link and a list of clubs: http://www.maac.ca/en/clubs_by_zone.php?zone_code=E

You know, I hate to be negative but don't be surprised if it it's just like all the gun clubs. When they came for our handguns we git no support from the shot gunners. Then, when they came for certain rifles, the rifle owners got no support from many of the hand gunners and so it goes.

I'd be happy to thrown in a few bucks to hire a lawyer that will go to bat for us drone owners. I just don't know how to get started is all.

Bud

Is there any groups or drone club that will try to fight these new regulations? Any groups that could need any type of support, even financial (for lawyers for exemple)

Reactions: daytona125
I belonged to MAAC many, many years ago and when I got my wings I was on cloud nine. Then I bought a heli and my own club wouldn't let me fly it there because "oh my God, those Helicopters are so dangerous" so you can't fly it here unless no one else is at the club.

I quit that club that very day and have never renewed my MAAC membership. Don't want them, don't need them, and I doubt they will ever lift a finger to help us drone owners in this matter either. They're a bunch of SNOBS from their ears on down to the ground. I think we're on our own folks.

One good thing though, as a gun owner and firearms instructor I belong to the Ontario Anglers and Hunters Association in Peterborough and with that membership I get $5,000,000 in liability insurance. So, when I shoot, and take my P4P with me, I have liability insurance on my drone since I record my shooting on the P4P. wink! wink!

Bud

One of the reasons I got into drone flying was the ability to fly out of my back yard . I had flown RC fixed wing and heli for years with out a incident. This new regulation is just going to kill the hobby for me. You dont always want to troup all the way out to the M.A.A.C. sanctioned flying field everytime you want to fly. Personaly I found maac full of nothing but politics. Im really considering selling my P3 and going back to astronomy and stargazing for a hobby but then again the neighbours might mistake me for a peeping tom. One thing to keep in mind who is going to buy your drone from you if they cant fly it ether.

I belonged to MAAC many, many years ago and when I got my wings I was on cloud nine. Then I bought a heli and my own club wouldn't let me fly it there because "oh my God, those Helicopters are so dangerous" so you can't fly it here unless no one else is at the club.

I quit that club that very day and have never renewed my MAAC membership. Don't want them, don't need them, and I doubt they will ever lift a finger to help us drone owners in this matter either. They're a bunch of SNOBS from their ears on down to the ground. I think we're on our own folks.

One good thing though, as a gun owner and firearms instructor I belong to the Ontario Anglers and Hunters Association in Peterborough and with that membership I get $5,000,000 in liability insurance. So, when I shoot, and take my P4P with me, I have liability insurance on my drone since I record my shooting on the P4P. wink! wink!

Bud
I agree with you Bud. A friend and I had the same experience with MAAC and when your idea of fun and enjoyment doesn't fit with their ideals you become an outcast.They also only politically support their own views. I went on to get my wings and my instructors wings as well and taught a few other members to fly fixed wing but when my friend and myself bucked the trend of the time of quarter scale and went 1/2 A school yard scale we were made to know we were not welcome also. We also lost two flying fields down here just to complaints by a couple of neighbors near the flying field its all it takes for Government to put the kibosh on things and MAAC did nothing to help. Now we are luck here we have 4 MAAC fields here in Niagara but I will not use them. The bottom line is the Government doesn't want to deal with complaints and will kill the hobby so they don't have too.

Reactions: Matchlock
I agree with you Bud. A friend and I had the same experience with MAAC and when your idea of fun and enjoyment doesn't fit with their ideals you become an outcast.They also only politically support their own views. I went on to get my wings and my instructors wings as well and taught a few other members to fly fixed wing but when my friend and myself bucked the trend of the time of quarter scale and went 1/2 A school yard scale we were made to know we were not welcome also. We also lost two flying fields down here just to complaints by a couple of neighbors near the flying field its all it takes for Government to put the kibosh on things and MAAC did nothing to help. Now we are luck here we have 4 MAAC fields here in Niagara but I will not use them. The bottom line is the Government doesn't want to deal with complaints and will kill the hobby so they don't have too.
M.A.A.C just made a huge cash-grab in this, now everyone who wan't to fly without going full commercial, need to PAY them for a membership... Their view of flying was never proven to be safer then the street kids enjoying their RC helis in parking lots, yet their lobbying was able to give them some form of control over government policy.

M.A.A.C just made a huge cash-grab in this, now everyone who wan't to fly without going full commercial, need to PAY them for a membership... Their view of flying was never proven to be safer then the street kids enjoying their RC helis in parking lots, yet their lobbying was able to give them some form of control over government policy.
one
Yes ISOPRO you have that right and the media has not been fair to us as well they just help to fuel paranoia that near miss a few months back of the plane on approach to billy bishop Island airport was no way a hobby drone but all the news I saw played it up to be.It was ether a weather balloon or a military drone. The fact is a certain segment of the population sees us as a threat.I was listening to a local radio call in show and one of the female newscasters in the round table discussion voiced her fears and said that drone should just be out and out banned. There have been no midair collisions and no deaths I haven even seen many injuries reported just a lot of broken drones.

Reactions: daytona125
It is amazing how biased news media can be. I used to work for animal control as their IT support and learned that pit bulls are not very dangerous dogs. Chows are a much worse breed.
A kid got bit by a dog we had to quarantine. Media thought it was a pit and was going to come over to do interviews. Once they learned it wasn't a pit, they lost interest.

Reactions: Niagara Flyer
M. Garneau should come back down from space! He just can't pull a law out of his yingyang.
To become law, a bill must first be introduced in either the Senate or the House of Commons.
It must then pass through various stages in each House: first, second and third reading.
Then it must receive Royal Assent.
The rules that now exist are fine for me, if any one threatens to charge you ask them to show where that law is in the books, they can't.
It may become that way but at the speed the Senate or the house of Commons moves this may take some time.
Keep enjoying your bats boys and girls, just fly safe and respect others spaces.

Last edited:
M. Garneau should come back down from space! He just can't pull a law out of his yingyang.
To become law, a bill must first be introduced in either the Senate or the House of Commons.
It must then pass through various stages in each House: first, second and third reading.
Then it must receive Royal Assent.
The rules that now exist are fine for me, if any one tries to charge you ask them to show where that law is in the books, they can't.
It may become that way but at the speed the Senate or the house of Commons moves this may take some time.
Keep enjoying your bats boys and girls, just fly safe and respect others spaces.

Interim orders have force of law, but he is supposed to use that power ONLY when there's a real threat to security, it would be easy to prove that there is no threat since there as never been any proven collision between unmanned and manned aircraft.

Reactions: Niagara Flyer
Interim orders have force of law, but he is supposed to use that power ONLY when there's a real threat to security, it would be easy to prove that there is no threat since there as never been any proven collision between unmanned and manned aircraft.
He should have put a interim order that if any drone is flown within 9 km of an airport they can nail you big time, but all these unrealistic over reactive conditions are not very tough out. For a guy that went in space he sure can't see very far. Interim orders are short term, if he can get this thru the senate in a month it's a sad day for Canada because there are more pressing matters that need attention. They will have to make amendments to the aeronautics act, I hope by then some common sense will prevail.

Last edited:
I was nearly beside myself with anger when I read the new restrictions. The government seems to be on a power trip here. The number of incidents involving UAVs is grossly exaggerated and media bias has only thrown fuel on the fire. We all need to write letters to our local representatives and the minister of transport expressing our utter disappointment at this move. I'm all for safety but these new regulations address problems that don't exist and severely hamper our freedom. I can't even think of a local place I can fly my Phantom now.

Reactions: lb650
I was nearly beside myself with anger when I read the new restrictions. The government seems to be on a power trip here. The number of incidents involving UAVs is grossly exaggerated and media bias has only thrown fuel on the fire. We all need to write letters to our local representatives and the minister of transport expressing our utter disappointment at this move. I'm all for safety but these new regulations address problems that don't exist and severely hamper our freedom. I can't even think of a local place I can fly my Phantom now.
Totally agree, please pass along this petition more signatures the better Perhaps provide some feedback and I will update the petition as we are close to 100 signatures aand this peitition will be automaticallly sent tto Marc Garneau. Marc Garneau: Immediate HALT of Transport Canada New Safety Rules for Recreational Drone use in Canada

I read most of the comment in this thread and I started this petition and it will be sent to Marc Garneau. Please sign and we can make some changes collectively. MAAC is doing their best to keep their fields open so they have to be very careful but we the operators have a voice , also if you have any suggestions about what the law should look like that is fair, I can add it to the petition. Marc Garneau: Immediate HALT of Transport Canada New Safety Rules for Recreational Drone use in Canada

I'll contact them for sure, but can you tell me why this law will only last for 14 days if we contact these people?

Thanks for any help with this, because I'll do whatever it takes to get this repealed or thrown out or whatever we can do to kill it.

Bud
Sign this ,we have 50 people already signed, spread the word and post the Link to as many people you know will support our plea to change the law. Marc Garneau: Immediate HALT of Transport Canada New Safety Rules for Recreational Drone use in Canada

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart