Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

So.... I do most of my flying over a lake. I am now restricted to a 15m vertical operating window. (75m-90m altitude) I cannot exceed 90m for maximum altitude and I cannot go below 75m in case of duck / swan / geese / FISH conflict incursion.
. Its 75m lateral distance, altitude does not count...Also lakes can be used as float boat landing pads, so forget 9km from the shore of lakes please.

Let's hope there's an avid drone operator that's a judge out there that can throw out or suspend these regulations until proper consultation is convened with Transport Canada and drone operators, commercial and recreational. It would also be in DJI's best interest to lobby the government as their market virtually got eliminated yesterday with this in Canada.

What caught my eye in all this foolishness is the statement ' 150 meters away from people and vehicles'. So if you drive to an open area to fly, you'll need to walk 150 meters away from your vehicle before you take off........

....and, if there is anyone with you, they can't be next to you when you start flying........and essentially should be back at the car, 150 meters away or more.

And what are you supposed to do when someone walks up to you to ask questions about your drone? You can't RTH until they leave? Geez, this ruling is a mess. I hope you guys in the great white north can fix this.

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying... no matter where you go, someone else can either be there or come along.

So in essence, EVERYWHERE public is potentially illegal.

And unless you have 2-1/2 acres of private property, you can't even get far enough from a neighbour to be minimum distance. That's not even counting if they have a dog that runs to the fence line of your property.

No sense at all.

You can't even say that the law is only to allow enforcement as required, because some people prefer to follow the law as written. This thing can't be followed short of grounding.

Let's hope there's an avid drone operator that's a judge out there that can throw out or suspend these regulations until proper consultation is convened with Transport Canada and drone operators, commercial and recreational. It would also be in DJI's best interest to lobby the government as their market virtually got eliminated yesterday with this in Canada.

This order was made under this section of the Aeronautic act (CanLII - Aeronautics Act, RSC 1985, c A-2), it might be possible to do some lobbying so this does not pass, because we have evidence that there is no risk to aeronautical safety since no collision between aircraft and drone have ever happened, and maybe it will only be up for 14 days... ? read 6.41(2):

Interim Orders

Interim orders

6.41 (1) The Minister may make an interim order that contains any provision that may be contained in a regulation made under this Part
(a) to deal with a significant risk, direct or indirect, to aviation safety or the safety of the public;
(b) to deal with an immediate threat to aviation security, the security of any aircraft or aerodrome or other aviation facility or the safety of the public, passengers or crew members; or
(c) for the purpose of giving immediate effect to any recommendation of any person or organization authorized to investigate an aviation accident or incident.

Authorized deputy may make interim order

(1.1) The Minister may authorize, subject to any restrictions or conditions that the Minister may specify, his or her deputy to make, for any reason referred to in any of paragraphs (1)(a) to (c), an interim order that contains any provision that may be contained in a regulation made under this Part.

Consultation

(1.2) Before making an interim order, the Minister or deputy, as the case may be, must consult with any person or organization that the Minister or deputy considers appropriate in the circumstances.

Coming into effect

(2) An interim order has effect from the day on which it is made, as if it were a regulation made under this Part, and ceases to have effect fourteen days after it is made unless it is approved by the Governor in Council within that fourteen day period.

Recommendation by Minister

(3) Where the Governor in Council approves an interim order, the Minister shall, as soon as possible after the approval, recommend to the Governor in Council that a regulation having the same effect as the interim order be made under this Part, and the interim order ceases to have effect
(a) where such a regulation is made, on the day on which the regulation comes into force; and
(b) where no such regulation is made, one year after the day on which the interim order is made.

Publication in Canada Gazette

(4) An interim order must be published in the Canada Gazette within 23 days after the day on which it is made.

Tabling of interim order

(5) A copy of each interim order must be tabled in each House of Parliament within 15 days after it is made.

House not sitting

(6) In order to comply with subsection (5), the interim order may be sent to the Clerk of the House if the House is not sitting.

1992, c. 4, s. 13; 2004, c. 15, s. 11; 2015, c. 3, s. 4(F).

Last edited:
Reactions: Huttcraft
To be 100% truthful with you, I don't really give a #%$ anymore. I've lost interest in flying my drone because of these new laws. Absolute stupidity on our governments part, because they are going to put a lot of new legitimate businesses out of business. What a STUPID government we have. Absolutely STUPID.

What caught my eye in all this foolishness is the statement ' 150 meters away from people and vehicles'. So if you drive to an open area to fly, you'll need to walk 150 meters away from your vehicle before you take off........

....and, if there is anyone with you, they can't be next to you when you start flying........and essentially should be back at the car, 150 meters away or more.

And what are you supposed to do when someone walks up to you to ask questions about your drone? You can't RTH until they leave? Geez, this ruling is a mess. I hope you guys in the great white north can fix this.

Reactions: DC_Dr0ne
To be 100% truthful with you, I don't really give a #%$ anymore. I've lost interest in flying my drone because of these new laws. Absolute stupidity on our governments part, because they are going to put a lot of new legitimate businesses out of business. What a STUPID government we have. Absolutely STUPID.

That is exactly the way I feel this morning.

And I'm worried the feeling is not going to fade and I'm embarrassed for our country.

Reactions: Matchlock
That is exactly the way I feel this morning.

And I'm worried the feeling is not going to fade and I'm embarrassed for our country.

At the same time though, I don't know if I can let this rest. It's about far more than flying a toy.

I've already tweeted the Honourable Mr. Garneau, but I need to digest this to decide where else to go with it.

Canada passed new laws making it even harder to fly drones for fun

The new rules are more restrictive than in the U.S., and violating them

could result in a $3,000 (Canadian) fine.

(RECODE 16 MAR 17) ... By APRIL GLASER

Canada released new regulations for flying recreational drones this morning.

The rules apply to noncommercial drone operators flying aircraft

weighing between 250 grams (about half a pound) and 35 kilograms (77

pounds). Violators can face fines up to $3,000 Canadian, or about $2,248

U.S.

That's almost 60 percent higher than fines in the U.S., where it tops out at

$1,414.

Before these new rules, Canada had a set of guidelines for flying

recreational drones safely, but there were no penalties for not following

them, Canada's Transportation Minister Marc Garneau said in a press

conference today.

Under the new recreational drone rules, you can't fly:

Higher than 90 meters (300 ft.) above the ground

At a distance of more than 500 meters (1,640 ft.) from the operator

Within 75 meters (246 ft.) of buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people

or crowds

At night or in the clouds

Within 9 km (5.6 miles) from the center of an airport or other facility

where aircraft takeoff or within 9 km of forest fires

If your drone doesn't have your name, address and telephone number labeled

on the aircraft

In a way that interferes with first responders or police

Canada's new rules are more restrictive than U.S. recreational drone

regulations, which allow for flying up to 400 feet, don't have a set

distance restriction for flying near buildings and allow for recreational

flying at night.

U.S. rules also don't have a set restriction for how far away a drone is

allowed to fly from its operator, but rather require drones be kept within

the operator's line of sight.

Members of the drone industry say they didn't see Canada's new

regulations coming.

"I'm very surprised," Brendan Schulman, the head of policy at DJI, the

world's largest drone manufacturer, said in an interview. "There was no

consultation with any relevant stakeholders before this announcement was

made."

The order issued this morning is an interim order; according to CBC, Garneau

said in a press conference that he plans to update Canada's drone laws more

fully this summer.

The Ottawa Airport Authority called the new rules, "a necessary and

welcome move," in a statement today. Incidents involving drones at Canadian

airports have more than tripled since 2014, according to the Globe and Mail.

The 250g weight limit is likely derived from U.S. drone registration

requirements and has roots in Cold War-era math.

The rules also prohibit flying a drone for fun throughout large swaths of

many urban areas in the country, as Canadian journalists on Twitter pointed

out.

At the same time though, I don't know if I can let this rest. It's about far more than flying a toy.

I've already tweeted the Honourable Mr. Garneau, but I need to digest this to decide where else to go with it.

Everyone should try to contact the privy council in Canada and the governor general of Canada, so this only lasts for 14 days, check my post about what process of law was used ot enact this without any vote...

*sigh*
We basically went from a 'you can fly your drone anywhere but use common sense and keep it safe' to 'you can fly your drone nowhere that might be fun to fly if you are flying for recreation'

It will be REALLY interesting to see how many - ahem - aerial photography companies spring up in Canada in the next few weeks...

Shitty thing is If you start a company and get certified commercially you can't fly recreational any more. Legally. That means filing a flight plan with nav can or transport can (can't remember which) 10 days in advance before you fly. On a another note ,I don't see a problem with putting an age restriction on drones that are capable of greater flight distances, or having to be certified on such drones, those that really enjoy flying will accept it. Its acceptable for a 17 year old or a 40 year old to drive a car and crash it ,injure some one in the process,cause thousands of dollars damage, maybe you have your day in court maybe you don't,and life goes on. Someone crashes a drone that really is only going to cause minimal Damage to anything other than itself(let's be realistic) and the whole dam country is in an up roar In my mind this whole issue is more about invasion of privacy rather than one of safety. first off there are those who use drones irresponsibly, which has caused the public to be ever paranoid. The bottom line is government wants no drone flights in city or public areas unless you are a certified commercial pilot. Thus you will have obtained the proper permits and filed your flight plan all before fight day

I like the wording of the Ottawa Airport Authority who called the new rules, "A necessary and welcome move." And "Incidents involving drones at Canadian airports have more than tripled since 2014" according to the Globe and Mail.

So "Incidents" are to be a blanket drone ban before accidents occur? I have and see "Incidents" daily just driving somewhere, yet cars and trucks are not yet banned. Even some accidents too and yet they still haven't banned them.

Canada has become the West's new Sweden. Anyone from Canada got a I2 with a X5S to sell for $500 since you cannot fly it? ;)

So.... I do most of my flying over a lake. I am now restricted to a 15m vertical operating window. (75m-90m altitude) I cannot exceed 90m for maximum altitude and I cannot go below 75m in case of duck / swan / geese / FISH conflict incursion.

Your lake could most likely be considered nfz due to float planes

... The bottom line is government wants no drone flights in city or public areas unless you are a certified commercial pilot. Thus you will have obtained the proper permits and filed your flight plan all before fight day

I agree.

I think this is where the law will lead to in the USA too. All city limits will become a NFZ unless you are licensed commercial, have insurance, have and pay for a daily permit from the local film commissioner, and have an assigned safety monitor/cop present, etc. much as what Hollywood does now.

Only option may be some AMA sanctioned flying field within the city limits for training or practice - if they will allow drones to fly there as some do not.

Reactions: lb650
One of the reasons I got into drone flying was the ability to fly out of my back yard . I had flown RC fixed wing and heli for years with out a incident. This new regulation is just going to kill the hobby for me. You dont always want to troup all the way out to the M.A.A.C. sanctioned flying field everytime you want to fly. Personaly I found maac full of nothing but politics. Im really considering selling my P3 and going back to astronomy and stargazing for a hobby but then again the neighbours might mistake me for a peeping tom. One thing to keep in mind who is going to buy your drone from you if they cant fly it ether.

One of the reasons I got into drone flying was the ability to fly out of my back yard . I had flown RC fixed wing and heli for years with out a incident. This new regulation is just going to kill the hobby for me. You dont always want to troup all the way out to the M.A.A.C. sanctioned flying field everytime you want to fly. Personaly I found maac full of nothing but politics. Im really considering selling my P3 and going back to astronomy and stargazing for a hobby but then again the neighbours might mistake me for a peeping tom. One thing to keep in mind who is going to buy your drone from you if they cant fly it ether.
closest M.A.A.C field to my place is 3 hour drive...And what's the point of aerial photography, if you are forced to only take photos from M.A.A.C fields anyway. ?

I;ve always felt lucky being surrounded by endless fields of crops & living on the border on The Oak ridge moraine, a green belt that covers 100's of miles. Mind you, how many times can I shoot fields of wheat & forests of evergreens,
I'm bored just talking about it!

Already have mine ready for legal flight, with no rules since it's carrying a live "creature.."

Bud
Phantom 4 Pro.jpg

(75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals,

"OMG watch out for those birds, squirrels, etc..."

But anyway by the definition of this order :

model aircraft means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. (modèle réduit d’aéronef)

just modified my aircraft, now it carry a cockroach, so since it carry a living creature it does not apply to my aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: lb650 and isopro

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart