RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

leekawey said:
what kind of receiver did you use? or is it a monitor receiver. anyway it's sucks man. you are wasting the true performance of the antennas you got. I can see the helical performed the best but my stock 3dbi whip perform 10x better with proper receiver like 5800uno.

re: what kind of receiver

Read the posts - I explained that already - don't jump in with a quick jab without paying attention - it makes you look bad

re: receiver? sucks

I think you are critiquing the small format recording and not the antenna performance. In any case, this is not a **** measuring contest, I was pointing out that, on my system, the whip antennas performed as well as the cloverleaf antennas at low altitude (where I will be videoing) but that the helical did a great job - easily beating out the other two. On the FPV screen, the video is clear as a bell with the helical... on the small format DVR, not so much. It was really nice to swing around at 550 metersand see a clear picture of the way home.

saltire said:
thongbong You are correct there just did not see the point in buying an Uno reciever as well as a Bp but i think if it was me then i would buy the BP first and see how it performs before buying an Uno .Ive seen the Bp in action an its seemed ok to look at and performed ok .

The BP is quite nice. It's very vibrant. It's just been proven on this forum that it doesn't perform very well with the IRC 600mw vTx, and my own personal experience. I just ordered the Flysight 400mw vTx, hopefully that will do the trick. I'll let ya know when I get some results.

I had an opportunity to partially test part of this antenna set today

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mrod-rhcp/

I could only use the Blackhawk Micro as I stupidly failed to order the Nimrod with a strait connector rather than a 90deg plug. Horizon FPV are sorting that out for me at the moment. I have to say I am very impressed with the build quality and their customer service. Its not often these days that the designer answers your questions directly.

Anyway last time I did a range test I barely got 500m and then had to turn back as I lost picture. The first test I did today was with just the Blackhawk on my Black Pearl. I was using a Fatshark spironet on my quad so keep in mind it is not the matched Nimrod I will be using when I get it back. I went for the Gold version of the set. The designer told me that the aerials carry a lifetime guarantee and even if I smashed the aerial on the quad they would replace it free of charge, just send the photographic proof of what had happened and they would replace it. The reason they offer this is the quad antenna is very very tough.

So I conducted the same test as before and flew out in a straight line with the antenna in clear line of sight. I flew to 1.5km without break up and halted there as I have no need for any further range. I did suffer loss of picture when I turned but I am putting that down to using the Fatshark Spironet.

I then did another un-filmed flight but this time using a Fatshark Spironet and the Black Hawk. Close in the Quad favoured the Spironet but whenever I went over 50m it always used the Black Hawk.

I don't have a field DVR recorder so apologies for the glare from the monitor but its good enough for you to see how the antenna performs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKbkY70Fm8[/youtube]

That's very impressive, at that altitude(65 meters).
The problem with that set-up is, you can only buy it from the U.K. I don't see anyone in the States that carries it. And, it's a bit pricey.
Would like to see more, when you get the other half on the aircraft. I'm assuming the other antenna is directional-did they give you a chart showing the azimuth of the direction?

Also-I see they report only 9DB gain-whereas the Helical antenna's are up into the 12+DB range......

Excellent job Shrimpy, Once you have the matched antenna you should get even more range.

So my IRC5800 duo arrived today.
Have it all set up ready to test this weekend, as long as that effin wind dies down. :cry:

Shrimpfarmer said:

Excellent. I get the feeling that with the higher end tuned antennas our range problems will be solved. Similar to you, I'm putting tuned and matching antennas on both ends.

I would love to do a 1km test but I need to find a good area. We have such areas but its been too cold to look. The area I did my test I just posted has a Nuclear Power Plant behind me and an active military airbase about 1.5 kilometers in front of me... big river and large town on the left and hills and power distribution stations, cell towers and a large town to the right. I'm pretty much stuck with that long field and not much more. Also, all that crap was probably why the stock antennas were performing so poorly.

In any case, yours is a great test - 60 meters is not that high. Your antennas handled the ground clutter well. Thanks for posting.

After all these positive reports, I had a moment of weakness and forked out yet another $70 on the Crosshair from RMRC. Hard to argue with 10dBic gain and nearly omni capability.

Shrimpfarmer said:

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mrod-rhcp/

I could only use the Blackhawk Micro as I stupidly failed to order the Nimrod with a strait connector rather than a 90deg plug. Horizon FPV are sorting that out for me at the moment. I have to say I am very impressed with the build quality and their customer service. Its not often these days that the designer answers your questions directly.

Anyway last time I did a range test I barely got 500m and then had to turn back as I lost picture. The first test I did today was with just the Blackhawk on my Black Pearl. I was using a Fatshark spironet on my quad so keep in mind it is not the matched Nimrod I will be using when I get it back. I went for the Gold version of the set. The designer told me that the aerials carry a lifetime guarantee and even if I smashed the aerial on the quad they would replace it free of charge, just send the photographic proof of what had happened and they would replace it. The reason they offer this is the quad antenna is very very tough.

So I conducted the same test as before and flew out in a straight line with the antenna in clear line of sight. I flew to 1.5km without break up and halted there as I have no need for any further range. I did suffer loss of picture when I turned but I am putting that down to using the Fatshark Spironet.

I then did another un-filmed flight but this time using a Fatshark Spironet and the Black Hawk. Close in the Quad favoured the Spironet but whenever I went over 50m it always used the Black Hawk.

I don't have a field DVR recorder so apologies for the glare from the monitor but its good enough for you to see how the antenna performs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKbkY70Fm8[/youtube]

nice job.. do you mind sharing links to the video transmitter on the p2 and the antennas.. ill be getting a black pearl but not sure about the transmitter yet.. seems like you have done enough testing..

havasuphoto said:
That's very impressive, at that altitude(65 meters).
The problem with that set-up is, you can only buy it from the U.K. I don't see anyone in the States that carries it. And, it's a bit pricey.
Would like to see more, when you get the other half on the aircraft. I'm assuming the other antenna is directional-did they give you a chart showing the azimuth of the direction?

Also-I see they report only 9DB gain-whereas the Helical antenna's are up into the 12+DB range......

What are you currently running and where are you buying your stuff in the US?

My video Tx is the Immersion 600mw which is the subject of this thread :D

As for charts and things I have nothing, just my experience of using it. Full details are contained on the website I previously linked to.

stevet said:
We all don't live or buy our stuff in the US :)

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
stevet said:
We all don't live or buy our stuff in the US :)

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a little off-topic, but there seems to be a lot of knowledgable folks sitting on this thread.

I just installed the ImmersionRC 600mW, the mini iOSD, and sending it all to the Black Pearl.

Using a youtube vid that talked me through the process for a neat, soldered, iOSD internal install, I was informed that if the video on the monitor is rolling, to change the GoPro to PAL. It was. I did. And the video looked like it should.

BUT.

I don't have a lot of experience with NTSC/PAL. And this morning, when I went to set up the video mode in the GoPro, I noticed that my setting options were changed. Instead of being able to shoot 1080p at 60fps, I can only shoot at a max of 50fps.

Why is that? And will the Flysight BP monitor ONLY work in PAL?

I don't want to mess with my video settings!

Let me reply to my own question with some info I just learned. My monitor shipped setup in PAL (so changing the GoPro to PAL fixed the rolling feed), but after diving in to the complicated BP menu setup, I was able to change the monitor to NTSC. And now, all is well.

Currently have the Fatshark predator 2 Looking into buying a black pearl monitor. I am wondering if it could just buy a monitor and plug my FP 2 into it. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2trickpony said:
Have it all set up ready to test this weekend, as long as that effin wind dies down. :cry:
Mental windy here today i presume you are the same so not tried out you new irc5800? are you going to have a quad set up of antennas .

saltire said:
2trickpony said:
Mental windy here today i presume you are the same so not tried out you new irc5800? are you going to have a quad set up of antennas .

I'm busy looking out the window now and there is no let up of the **** wind, must be gusting @ 40 -50 I reckon.
No, I cant use quad antennas because as soon as you plug the irc5800 into the BP it turns off the internal receiver, which is actually brilliant as it wont use so much juice.

extrememc said:
Currently have the Fatshark predator 2 Looking into buying a black pearl monitor. I am wondering if it could just buy a monitor and plug my FP 2 into it. Thoughts?

I don't have a Fatshark but some versions have an AV OUT and I believe their site advertises you can do that. For a few more dollars/euros/sheckles you can get one of the Diversity monitors that have two receivers. That lets you put a helical antenna on one receiver and an omni on the other and have the best of both worlds.

I was seriously considering the Predator for a while - once BVR, they might be very useful. In very cold weather, and hanging on to the heavier radio and monitor combo, my fingers get darn cold. Of course, we are moving towards Spring so I am now not so worried.

Some of us don't live in the US

Like me. ;-} However, I buy a lot of stuff from China - and one or two things from UK. There really aren't many commercial borders anymore. I have sent first class mail to Belgium (and received it) in less time than it took for the same thing to Lincoln NE which is only 65 miles away. I got an F550 from China in less than two days, etc...

Hey LadyKate you live in NE?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carloansales