Ram for processing 4k

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a P4, and want to be able to process 4k video. I have an iMac i5 with 8 gb ram. I just bought 2 4s for a total of 16 gb of ram. Should I add 2 8s for a total of 24 gb ram?
Thank you for your help.
Terry

16GB of RAM should be sufficient for 4k. What you'll really be needing is a decent GPU for rendering graphics and a decent processor. I'd suggest a quad-core i7, but if you're on a budget a decently clocked i5 should do the trick. What are your other specs?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'll get them and reply back. Thank you.

3.2 GHz Intel core i5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
Storage available 863 GB
Display 27" NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

None of that means anything to me, but it may you. What do you think?

Terry

It will do the job, but a 10 min video could take about 45mins of processing with them specs

Neon Euc

Would I benefit at all with 24 GB Ram?

Like Neon Euc said, it should run fine. More RAM probably won't make much of a difference. At this point upgrading your GPU or CPU is probably the best option

Like Neon Euc said, it should run fine. More RAM probably won't make much of a difference. At this point upgrading your GPU or CPU is probably the best option

apparently the Intel core 7 is the only one that can do multi threading when exporting video. I have an Intel core 5 and it's not faster than my old computer. I DO have SSD drives which speed up everything else. And don't spare the bucks on a video card - get the best you can afford.

All I can do at the moment is increase my ram. I can go to 16 or 24. Which would you do? What are SSD drives? Is that something I could add?

All I can do at the moment is increase my ram. I can go to 16 or 24. Which would you do? What are SSD drives? Is that something I could add?
Well I have 32GB of RAM. RAM is pretty cheap now - might help. SSD = Solid State Drives - no spinning platters - MUCH MUCH faster if you have a fast SATA connection. I like the PNY SSD drives - reasonably priced and reliable. An SSD drive is prolly 2 - 2.5 times more expensive than a regular spinning hard drive. SSD vs HDD | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Rob,
I am limited as to what I can do with an all in one Mac. I can add Ram. So if I went all the way and upgraded to 32 gb and added a good SSD, would that be a good plan? It's just not in my budget to buy a new fast computer. Thank you for your help.

Rob,
I am limited as to what I can do with an all in one Mac. I can add Ram. So if I went all the way and upgraded to 32 gb and added a good SSD, would that be a good plan? It's just not in my budget to buy a new fast computer. Thank you for your help.
Adding RAM to 24 might help some. SSD drives help with the loading and writing of files - so an SSD might help some.

I have all that - a i5 processor, 32 GB RAM, three SSD drives on SATA 3 connection and 4GB on an NVidia video card and I still get some lag when scrolling through 4k files. Not counting a monitor I spent $1,500 total on this machine, including Windows 10.

So if you add some RAM + SSD cards you might be spending like $500 or so. Is it worth it to wait until you can afford more, or do you need *some kind* of improvement now? Your call. BTW - If I was to to this over I'd wait till I could afford the i7 processor, and would have gotten an even better video card.

Your Random Access Memory is not the problem. Your GPU or graphics card is. But, your current card can do the work (with nothing else running).
I have a gtx750 that works.
It will just take some of your valuable time.

Adding RAM to 24 might help some. SSD drives help with the loading and writing of files - so an SSD might help some.

I have all that - a i5 processor, 32 GB RAM, three SSD drives on SATA 3 connection and 4GB on an NVidia video card and I still get some lag when scrolling through 4k files. Not counting a monitor I spent $1,500 total on this machine, including Windows 10.

So if you add some RAM + SSD cards you might be spending like $500 or so. Is it worth it to wait until you can afford more, or do you need *some kind* of improvement now? Your call. BTW - If I was to to this over I'd wait till I could afford the i7 processor, and would have gotten an even better video card.

So, if I add 32 gb of ram, and buy an SSD, wouldn't that put me in a better position to process 4k than I have now? It is within my budget, and I just don't want to buy a new computer right now.
Thank you very much.
Terry

Reactions: jakobe75
16GB is plenty, You won`t even use 8 of that. I have a i7 , 6 generation with 16GB and when rendering only 4GB of ram is used. The best bang for the buck for speed is a SSD drive.

Reactions: jakobe75
If you can add more ram, then you should add more ram...in all situations.

I run an i7 with 32gb of ram, we work with extremely large media files daily...but our real speed comes from the SSD's and video cards.

16GB is plenty, You won`t even use 8 of that. I have a i7 , 6 generation with 16GB and when rendering only 4GB of ram is used. The best bang for the buck for speed is a SSD drive.

What are the benefits of adding A SSD drive? I have plenty of internal memory. I am willing to upgrade to 32 gb of ram, and add the SSD drive. But I'm not computer literate and don't really understand what it all does. I'm relying solely on this forum. I want to go ahead and order what I need. I want to get the very best out of the computer I have.
Thank you,
Terry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan