Ram for processing 4k

I want to shoot and edit in 4k, then downsize. I will be using Adobe Premiere.

Like a memory stick, there are no moving parts to an SSD. Rather, information is stored in microchips. Conversely, a hard disk drive uses a mechanical arm with a read/write head to move around and read information from the right location on a storage platter. This difference is what makes SSD so much faster.

Your iMac with 16GB of ram will be fine. Like NeonEuc said it will take about 45 minutes to render (recode) a 10 minute video N(normal). Adding more ram will not improve your speed because the software will not need or use it, it will only use what it needs. The slowest link in your system right now is how fast your hard drive can read and wright the data being processed, thats why a solid state drive will give you a considerable gain in data transfer rates. Ram is like a water storage tank, no mater how big the tank if you are passing the water true the same size hose you will not get the water any faster.

I'm no computer wiz kid (at all) but I would presume it is pretty similar to having a great sound system (audio sys). What ever you have is only as good as it's weakest link! To my understanding it's a little like a road system too(sending this data from place to place in a computer), if it hits a comparative 'bottle neck' that's as fast as it will go.

I'm sure others have better info than me but it helps me understand it a bit better. Someone WILL correct me if I'm wrong. Being a bit of a fossil I still have trouble with a slate and chalk! o_O:rolleyes::)

Ok, I just spoke to the people at shop.macsaleslcom and have ordered 32 gb of ram, and the SSD and enclosure. Now, I need to get out with my P4 and take some video. Thanks for everyones help. This is a great forum!
Terry

What should I be looking for to buy the right SSD?

Like a memory stick, there are no moving parts to an SSD. Rather, information is stored in microchips. Conversely, a hard disk drive uses a mechanical arm with a read/write head to move around and read information from the right location on a storage platter. This difference is what makes SSD so much faster.

What are the right spec for the SSD? Should I use one or two? I can get a dock for either. Should I use USB or Thunderbolt connection?
Thank you very much for your help.
Terry

Adding RAM to 24 might help some. SSD drives help with the loading and writing of files - so an SSD might help some.

I have all that - a i5 processor, 32 GB RAM, three SSD drives on SATA 3 connection and 4GB on an NVidia video card and I still get some lag when scrolling through 4k files. Not counting a monitor I spent $1,500 total on this machine, including Windows 10.

So if you add some RAM + SSD cards you might be spending like $500 or so. Is it worth it to wait until you can afford more, or do you need *some kind* of improvement now? Your call. BTW - If I was to to this over I'd wait till I could afford the i7 processor, and would have gotten an even better video card.

How do I chose the right SSD drives? I can get a dock that holds two, and connects by usb or thunderbolt.
What spec on the SSD should I look for?
Thank you,
Terry

How do I chose the right SSD drives? I can get a dock that holds two, and connects by usb or thunderbolt.
What spec on the SSD should I look for?
Thank you,
Terry
It depends on your system, do you have a sata2 or sata3 hard drive connection as these would be the fastest. In a laptop you may have room for a second drive, in a desktop you should have a connection on the mother board.

It depends on your system, do you have a sata2 or sata3 hard drive connection as these would be the fastest. In a laptop you may have room for a second drive, in a desktop you should have a connection on the mother board.

I have usb and thunderbolt.

what does the sata connection look like and I will check?

Thanks Rob,
How does an SSD work. Does it work by itself when processing 4k video. Will 16 gb of ram be enough if I added an SSD?
Thank you very much,
Terry

Thanks Rob,
How does an SSD work. Does it work by itself when processing 4k video. Will 16 gb of ram be enough if I added an SSD?
Thank you very much,
Terry
Terry - here's why I was suggesting you might want to build a new computer - everything counts.

An SSD will only be as fast as possible if you have I think Sata 3 connections for the SSD drives inside the computer. I don't know Macs so I I'm not sure if yours has Sata 3 connections. I have three SSD drives - one for the boot drive (where the application is situated) one for the scratch drive and one for output. I put the Ingest files for Premiere on the boot drive since I have enough memory that the application basically gets loaded into memory.

It's hard to say how much RAM you actually need. 24 to 32 GM will be more than enough.

This is so confusing that I really can't get a handle on it. Thanks for your help. I have an iMac desktop with thunderbolt connections. I want a SSD and a dock.
Thank you,
Terry

This is so confusing that I really can't get a handle on it. Thanks for your help. I have an iMac desktop with thunderbolt connections. I want a SSD and a dock.
Thank you,
Terry
Find the receipt for your computer, then lookup the specs for your computer. See if it has Sata 3 connections. Alternatively I think there is a tag somewhere on the computer giving it's model & serial number - I think you can look those up - maybe with help from Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31