Radio Controller charging iPad.

Just received this from dji support.
It's great if it does charge. I'm expecting my new P4P this weekend . I was flying my P3P earlier today and my phone crapped out to 20% battery warning mid flight. Brilliant ! I should imagine the new controller is designed for this now as it's supplying charge for the screen version.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
What happens when your flying and your RC craps out? Point being much easier and faster to charge a phone then a RC

Well I get all that. But my iPad stays at 100% and my RC is at 80% after two flights. So it's charging.

Mine as well... there's no way it isn't charging...what does DJI say? I fly for 12 minutes and the iPad is still at 100%... maybe it's just magic! [emoji6]

But another thing to consider is the length of time it takes to charge the controller... approximately three times as long as a single battery for the bird, so one could assume that the battery in the controller is on the hefty side, no?
zeldon50

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Can't the RC be charged from a p4p battery by connecting the battery to the charger and then the remote- without a mains power connection?

I had suspected this since the Dec 11 firmware update.. I actually use a iPad Pro 9.7 which has a ridiculously high capacity battery and my remote controller battery drains so quickly now...It consumes more battery than it can charge so I lose tablet and RC charge :(

Reactions: Juan Quintero
Same thing is happening to me. I had my controller fully charged and my iPad at 45% after a while the iPad was fully charged and controller dropped to 65% .... How do I prevent this from happening? I really don't want the controller to discharge. Please help guys.

Has anyone received any feedback about this issue yet? I assume they designed the RC to charge the screen for the P4P+ so we all get the same thing. I do know I hate it. Much easier to charge ipad then controller. I believe I saw a post on the DJI forum where they were denying it was charging.
I agree with you, I don't want this to happen either.

Mine P4A controller is also charging ipad. I dont want to charge ipad with RC controller!!!!!! God damnit f?^*^^ DJI, i am tired of this company

Whats the big deal if you charge your Ipad before each time you fly ( which you should be doing anyway) it'll never happen.

Its keeping the ipad fully charged and ipads battery is not being used. There is no need for that as ipad has good battery, you end up just waisting RC battery and I was suprised how much faster it depleted. RC batterys charging time is also long as hell.

Reactions: bkushner
Its keeping the ipad fully charged and ipads battery is not being used. There is no need for that as ipad has good battery, you end up just waisting RC battery and I was suprised how much faster it depleted. RC batterys charging time is also long as hell.

Yeah but like I said if you charge all batteries before flying the rc ain't charging anything

Reactions: Jason Porembski
Has your RC ever been drained and left you unable to fly because of this , thought not.

Do you have ipad and p4a/p4p remote? Ipad mini 2 on p4a is drawing quite a bit energy,
Its just stupid to have to charge devices more often then usually, also to put more wear on RC battery as those are not exchangeable.

And then the time someone's iPad runs out of juice and they can't use the app. They will blame DJI too for not having the device get charged.

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
On my maiden flight last week (P4A and IPad Air 2), all batteries were fully charged before the mornings flights.

At the end of the flying session, I noticed my IPad Air had only dropped to 98%. RC was down one light if I recall. Don't recall seeing charge indicator during use on IPad Air 2. Will see next flight.

So if all batteries fully charged before flight, doesn't seem to be too much problem, unless you're out all day and have the ability to recharge on the fly. I have build in outlet (150w) in truck. I used two of my three batteries on first fligh session.

Will keep an eye on this. It could be an issue if you use your Ipad for other things on location. I, too have concerns.

As I originally said, I'd rather retain the charge of the hand controller then my phone or tablet which are easier to charge then your controller.

Reactions: rvrrat14

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart