Radio Controller charging iPad.

The P3A/P RC also puts out power on the USB but at standard USB current, maybe less. Changing USB mode on mobile to file transfer doesn't prevent it from accepting power. This is no different than plugging in your phones/tablets to your computer. Not enough to really charge a phone these days, particularly with how they are used with the RC but receives supplemental power nonetheless.
The P4P might be providing more power than standard USB.

I found out at least with the P3 RCs on my tablet, USB file transfer mode doesn't work. When I manage to get it to connect, it is in charge only mode.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't mind it at all in fact I kind a like that if I'm flying through three or four batteries it's nice not to worry about the phone crapping out. The controller itself can handle it no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes but flying more batteries can start to be an issue....then the controller gets low...I have a phone and tablet and plenty of chargers for them so I'm good on that end...controller is another issue.

Interesting. I have only flown 4 batts through my new P4P. With lots to learn coming from the P3P I have not noticed my iPad Mini charge state. But I think charging would be a good thing. I could do 3-4 days of 4 batt flights with my P3 controller. But only one day on the Mini between charges

I can confirm as well that my iPad is charging.

Another thing I thought of is the wear and tear on Controller Battery. It will need to be charged more often then if it was not charging your device. As far as I've seen DJI does not sell replacement batteries.

I noticed that my p4p controller battery loses charge at a much faster rate than my P4 did, probably because it was charging the iPad, I will have to check next time I fly

The P3 remote provides power to a device connected to it by USB so I would expect the P4 remote does too. Probably only 500mA max though, which is the USB standard. USB 3 standard specifies more power for connected devices.
As long as you don't run the RC battery to the ground all the time, there should not be more wear on it than before. Even at last LED the voltage is probably sufficiently above 3v.

Paid attention to my Mini change state today. It didn't charge. Started at 88% and I finished at 76%

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm sure the RC was providing power, just not enough to overcome what you are using. Standard USB is 500mA which is generally insufficient during heavy use. Even when idle, thats a painfully slow charge rate for today's mobile.

Just received this from dji

7b03ee4d64428cc7d75728a1ae1a337d.jpg

Reactions: MEGFilmworks
Just received this from dji

7b03ee4d64428cc7d75728a1ae1a337d.jpg

wow I guess we are stuck with this I wonder if there is a cable that would just transfer data and not power or may a way on the phone or tablet were you can change the USB settings to only transfer data

It's great if it does charge. I'm expecting my new P4P this weekend . I was flying my P3P earlier today and my phone crapped out to 20% battery warning mid flight. Brilliant ! I should imagine the new controller is designed for this now as it's supplying charge for the screen version.

The P3A/P RC also puts out power on the USB but at standard USB current, maybe less. Changing USB mode on mobile to file transfer doesn't prevent it from accepting power. This is no different than plugging in your phones/tablets to your computer. Not enough to really charge a phone these days, particularly with how they are used with the RC but receives supplemental power nonetheless.
The P4P might be providing more power than standard USB.

I found out at least with the P3 RCs on my tablet, USB file transfer mode doesn't work. When I manage to get it to connect, it is in charge only mode.

My P3P doesn't charge !?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd