Question on H3 hero port mod

Reaction score
So in regards to taking the hero port from an H2 and swapping it for the ribbon cable on an H3, what exactly are people swapping out? Do I swap out the entire backplate? The entire control board? Or just release the hero port via the ribbon cable and slap that onto the H3 control board? I've seen descriptions/instructions that seem to imply all three. And some people report no video feed after the mod so I'm wondering if there is a correct way to do it. Thanks for thete help

FlyingHigh said:
Or just release the hero port via the ribbon cable and slap that onto the H3 control board?

That's the way I did it last night since it involved the least amount of work (not by much though). I'm not getting vid or power feed over it yet, but I believe that's an issue on my gopro...I hope to confirm that one way or the other tonight. GImbal worked fine otherwise.

I'm going to be trying the mod discussed in this thread Thursday and posting results...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22798

it's basically buying a connector and cable vs cannibalizing a H3-2D for it, however the process I linked has some ramifications:
1) no power from Phantom to GoPro. gopro will run off battery alone
2) no video signal from Gimbal to Phantom mainboard. Video output will go directly from GoPro to video transmitter (via iOSD Mini if you have one)

QYV said:
Video output will go directly from GoPro to video transmitter

...or iOSD, which is proving to be the pain in my installation :roll:

I tried one of those backplates from getfpv and it confirmed that the port on my gopro is working properly (I got full vid signal when connected straight to the Tx). I'm still going to try to get the port I stole from an H3-2D working, but if I can't then I'm going to look for another one to try...I won't be comfortable using this other solution beyond just as a stop-gap measure.

Ok well I did the mod and swapped the back plates and the ribbon cable for the hero plug. Everything works fine. The gimbal initialy went berserk on my first startup but settled down on the second and it seems to be fine. Fpv works too

FlyingHigh said:
Ok well I did the mod and swapped the back plates and the ribbon cable for the hero plug. Everything works fine. The gimbal initialy went berserk on my first startup but settled down on the second and it seems to be fine. Fpv works too

Did you keep the red lead in the wire connected all the way to the FPV Tx? If so, does the red charging light on the gopro come on?

Well, I guess I'm not sure which red wire wire you're talking about. I unpluged the h32d and slapped on the h33d (plus the interference board). No rewiring of anything regarding the fpv.

The red light is on when the gopro is turned off. So I assume that means it is charging. Although I seem to recall that when the gopro was on. And charging, the battery indicator on the gopro showed a 1-2-3 charging battery level. It was not doing that, so I have my suspicions about the charging. Need to verify...

FlyingHigh said:
Well, I guess I'm not sure which red wire wire you're talking about. I unpluged the h32d and slapped on the h33d (plus the interference board). No rewording of anything regarding the fpv.

The red light is on when the gopro is turned off. So I assume that means it is charging. Although I seem to recall that when the gopro was on. And charging, the battery indicator on the gopro showed a 1-2-3 charging battery level. It was not doing that, so I have my suspicions about the charging. Need to verify...

Sorry, my bad, I had my mods mixed up :oops: I thought you were talking about a different one (with the 3rd-party port).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl