Replace gimbal

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here. Nice to see such an active forum.
I recently got a second hand phantom vision + which has been crashed. The bird flys great but the gimbal goes crazy and jumps around all over the place. I have replaced the ribbon cable and followed various repair tutorial to no avail.

So i would like to change the vision + gimbal and camera for something new and get some great ariel photos/video. I have been looking at the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal which supports the hero 3 black. Was going to pick up a second hand hero 3 off ebay and get the gimbal new for around £200.

Is this my best option? Would i still use the DJI app for FRV and OSD? I was also thinking of one of the black pearl 7" screens and putting a new video transmitter on the bird. If i do this will i get all the OSD (satalites, altitude...etc)?

I saw some posts where people have used the Hawkeye Firefly 6s camera instead of a go pro. Will this fit directly on the H3-3D and support FPV?

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to this :)

Thanks
Regards
James

Hi everyone,

Thought i would post a follow up on this thread.

I spent many hours reading posts and found this a link to this post which explained everything. Just needed many hours to read through and understand it all DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - RC Groups

I bought a H4-3D and a Firefly 6s camera. Removed the stock vision plus gimbal/camera and replaced with the new H4-3D. Found i needed a longer 8 pin cable to go from the interference board to the gimbal. Ordered that for next day delivery and worked great. Then found out if i connect the CAM port to the wifi module inside the bird i can get FPV too. With the original DJI app i did not get telemetry on my IOS device but so bought the FPV booster app which provides FPV and telemetry.

So far so good. I guess for a 7" screen like the black perl I would need to install a different video transmitter. Will need to do more reading for the next mod.

The only issue i have found with the firefly 6s on a H4-3D gimbal is the side buttons. The back one just hits the side of the frame and therefore gets stuck pressed on. This means i cannot plug in a usb cable to download video as with the button pressed it a pc will not recognize the camera correctly as a mass storage device. I ended up putting a folded bit of paper behind the camera (folder in 4 places) to push it out just a tad which resolved the issue. I need to do this as the memory card in the 6s is located just where the bar goes over to screw it on. Therefore you would need to unscrew it every time you wanted to download a video!.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers