Quads Californis Parks

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Quads are legal to fly in California State Parks

State parks yes, National parks no. :cry:

Fplvert said:
State parks yes, National parks no. :cry:

ehhhh well even some state parks you cannot fly. What i have found is it really comes down to what the local authorities "Want to allow you to do" They dont post signs but in some places if you put it up they will ask you to leave.

I always check first and most times they are interested to see it fly and they say go right ahead and be careful.

Great Pumpkin said:
Contact the park ranger.

I asked the state parks folks and this was the response they sent me:

Your e-mail with regard to the use of unmanned areal vehicles or aircraft in California State Parks was forwarded to me for response. Pursuant to the authorities granted in Public Resources Code 5003, Title 14 of the California Code of Regulations, Sections 4301(i), 4319, and 4326, the District Superintendent may restrict or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft on or over California State Parks lands. Restriction or prohibition reasons can vary including, but not limited to, the protection of threatened/endangered species, high fire danger, public safety, recreational conflicts, park unit classification, etc.

Considerations for allowing use of unmanned areal aircraft on or over State Park lands would include the reason use is being requested i.e. scientific research, educational purposes, documenting an already approved event, etc. Depending on the use being requested, the Superintendent may require that a Special Event application be submitted. Additionally, any commercial type unmanned aircraft use would also need FAA approval in addition to any special event requirements of the State Park District.

I recommend that you contact the District management for the park unit that you are considering for unmanned aerial videography. The District would be able to advise you of any local park restrictions and advise you on what local, state, and federal requirements may apply. A complete list of State Park Units and Management Districts with contact information can be found at www.parks.ca.gov. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Todd Thames, Superintendent
Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Division
California State Parks
Office: (916) 651-3276
Cell: (916) 662-4787

Description: 150th Description: DPRLogo-color-2in-300dpi -2
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient. Unauthorized interception, review, use, or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including, but not limited to, the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

One more layer of prohibitive bureaucracy laid upon us. I wonder just where we'll be with all this 10-15 years from now? Will the world still be afraid of UAVs and the privacy issues they engender as it was when personal computers first came out? I still think the best answer to the OP's question is to ask the local ranger. If s/he says no, then far be it for me to argue. On the other hand, s/he may say "go right ahead, but just be careful." I know how to do that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl