Q: What's worse than watching grass grow?

Reaction score
A: Making a 15 minute video of grass growing...

That's what I did today on my maiden voyage of a P2 with a H3-3D and a GP3 Black.

I was still a little timid about flying out in an open field today because that's right next to a cemetery where I lost a $220 toy type quad to the wind.

So my GoPro points down at a 45 because I haven't figured out how to straighten it out... or if I want to straighten it out. I got the upgraded remote controller for the Phantom 2 and the gimbel control is spring loaded. (Sorry if they are all that way this is my first experience with the DJI line)

When the 3 way switch is in its default center position the camera points down at a 45 degree angle as I mentioned previously. If you push and hold the switch up the camera raises up to point level with the horizon. If you push and hold the switch down the camera points straight down. That switch position could be vise versa. The old memory ain't what it used to be.

So my video today was a combination of grass going by real fast with the camera pointed down, grass appearing to move more slowly because the camera was at an angle, and the most interesting video was the straight-ahead shots of the empty batting cage structure behind home plate and some fences and occasionally myself holding the remote with a look on my worried face thinking about the term 'fly-away' that I have been reading about. On yeah the field was completely encircled by tall trees so that's what my horizon shots looked like.

Anyway all went extremely well. My background is I have a private pilot's license (although I have not flown is several years) and I fly mostly small but full pitch RC helicopters. Compared to them these quads are stable. I am always in awe of the engineers who can think this stuff up. I am totally blown away by what this thing can do.

I have been reading about how some of you have switched to the P3 P3-Pro etc. and how you will never go back to the old P2. I know I could look this up but if you feel like it could you tell me some of the differences? I know it's all over YouTube and Google is my friend but if you feel like it and you have a spare minute please let me know what I am missing so I am no longer under the false impression that I am anywhere near being up to date technology wise. I bet there are some other folks that would like to know also.

Thank You...

Your gimbal is on Absolute mode (basic - old controller). You want to set to relative speed mode (upgrade - new spring loaded controller).
Plug into phantom assist and Basic > RC and nominate UPGRADE MODE.
Check Advance > gimbal > Tilt gain = 5, horizontal = 0, and vertical = 0.

You can now watch other things grow from the sky..

Reactions: Chirp
When the 3 way switch is in its default center position the camera points down at a 45 degree angle as I mentioned previously. If you push and hold the switch up the camera raises up to point level with the horizon. If you push and hold the switch down the camera points straight down. That switch position could be vise versa. The old memory ain't what it used to be.

When I turn on my P2, the gimbal does its initialization, then points at 45 degrees down, but when I turn the dial on my RC, it does what yours does, horizontal or straight down. But... does the GoPro stay where it is if you rotate it, or does it go back to 45? It should stay. After my gimbal stops initializing, I always go up/down on the camera just to make sure it's working.

So my video today was a combination of grass going by real fast with the camera pointed down, grass appearing to move more slowly because the camera was at an angle, and the most interesting video was the straight-ahead shots of the empty batting cage structure behind home plate and some fences and occasionally myself holding the remote with a look on my worried face thinking about the term 'fly-away' that I have been reading about. On yeah the field was completely encircled by tall trees so that's what my horizon shots looked like.

I've had mine for about 2 months, and I still cringe a bit when I take it up to 400 feet, praying like crazy that it doesn't just disappear.. lol... I was shooting my Dad's house a few weeks ago, and his friend says "You gonna fly it to the other side?". I said "Nope! Not unless I can see it...".

I've flown smaller quads and stuff, and I do well with my P2, but you should have no issues at all with your background. And you will read a ton of debates between the P2 and P3, all of them mostly being fights about camera quality. They do say the P3 is easier to fly, and the FPV is built-in except you need your own screen (iPad, tablet, etc...). I'm sure the great people here will give you better details...

Reactions: Chirp
Reactions: dirkclod
When I turn on my P2, the gimbal does its initialization, then points at 45 degrees down, but when I turn the dial on my RC, it does what yours does, horizontal or straight down. But... does the GoPro stay where it is if you rotate it, or does it go back to 45? It should stay.

My rocker always re-centers itself because it is spring loaded and my camera always goes back to the 45 degree angle. It would be nice if it stayed. I'm still learning. I still haven't been able to get communication established between the Phantom and the software.

Your gimbal is on Absolute mode (basic - old controller). You want to set to relative speed mode (upgrade - new spring loaded controller).

Thanks, I'm still working on getting communication established between the Phantom and the PC.

Reactions: kenjancef

You were right. It just took me a while to be able to get into the software to make the adjustment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl