PV2+ Not Holding Steady and Drifting

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have had the P2V+ with Go Pro Hero3+ and gimbal flying for quite sometime.
Over the Fourth of July the quad had a uncontrolled decent at the waters edge, instantly sank (pretty sure I was giving it more throttle but it did not respond). I grabbed it seconds later and turned all electronics off. It has aired out for a week in the Arizona summer heat. Everything has been working so far: Go Pro, Gimbal, and Quad....pretty lucky :)
Post water swimming testing: I started out with a tethered hover just to make sure it wouldn't fly off into space and I never see it again. My issues that I am having are the following:

* When I let go of the sticks it does not just stop and hover like it used to.
* When I stop to hover, it descends and ascends much more than it used too and if I do not correct it, it would continue in the same path.
* It has a slight RH drift.
* It does not have the rock solid control like it used to.
* On takeoffs and landings sometimes when I takeoff/land in the grass it rocks back like a set of the motors are spinning up faster then the other set. I do understand that the stock legs are narrow and on uneven ground it could do this. But when I had it right out of the box with zero flight hours on it, flying in the same area it would not do that.
* I have performed the compass cal. multiple times and the results are the same.
- I think those are the issues...

The hovering decent is similar to what happened over the water.
I am fully capable of flying. Been doing it since 2000 with all different kinds of aircraft.

Is there anything within the system that could be getting bad information for stabilization, etc.? I have since put the taller/wider legs on it and I am still getting the same results. The compass is nearly in the same OEM spot.
Thanks
Justin

Agree with above,
However:
DJI's electronics are coated, and hold up well in wet conditions ( as I've salvaged many a water damage craft )
If it was fresh water your ok, if it was salt, that a different story!
That being said said,
The motor BEARINGS, are most likely the culprit , they do not hold up well, when wet, the rust fast.
Best way to test:
Pin the craft down ( I use 3 ( 2lb ) weights on each leg ) this way we can run engines up ( props on ) without craft lifting off, next run motors up for a couple minutes, stop and check each motor temp, they should run 80-90 degrees , if any are well above 100 degrees F', than you got some bad bearings, they cause motors to run slow, and mass amounts of friction and heat, if any are bad, I'd replace them all.

Hope this helps

Ps, anytime anything WIERD happens ( crazy behavior, crash, hard landing, new gear installed, ect, ) advanced IMU calibration is a must, followed by fresh compass cal as well. But bearings would be my first guess, honestly!

J Dot
:cool:

Hope this helps, Take care, Fly Safe!

I did the Advanced IMU calibration and that appeared to work!
Thanks jwax for the help!
Justin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan