Puzzled, compass calibration seems too low?

Reaction score
So I took the quad up with me to Canada. I've been having problems with getting the rapid green lights after the second rotation vertically for some time now. I took the unit out and on my phone it had an RC Compass calibration needed. I returned it back on, never got the right calibration, but did get the GPS lock. The phantom flew fine it responded to all my forward backwards, I was locked onto 12 satellites. Anyway, when i get back to hotel decided to watch the recalibrating a bad compass that dji put out. So, my numbers seem way too low. X = 58, Y = -92, Z = 152 and my total number is 823.9. If i lift it off the room floor it goes to maybe 945 but thats it. Would this get fixed with the magnet method spinning it around the compass, and I'm wondering why if the compass was so messed up would it fly normal. I flew in phantom mode..yes Im ready for Naza but i was going to quebec and didn't have time to train in Naza so i left it in phantom. As always you guys always give great info. Anyone?

Don't make the mistake of taking anything to do with the calibrating the compass, for granted. This one of the most important parts of successfully flying each time out.

If you are enabling one of the modified apps it's going to give a much different read out. This is when fly aways come into play. I experienced it myself a week ago, and while climbing in altitude it was showing I was going up to 60mph. When I checked it across the flytrex data it showed it going the usual normal mph.

Btw, do you mind sharing in detail your method for calibrating your compass?

thanks flynfrank,
But i haven't done any modifications on any apps. All i did was hook up the unit to macbook pro to check calibration numbers. I haven't gotten rapidly flashing green lights not since i had the unit at the beginning. So now when i got that message i was hesitant to fly it..i did and not far away. Had the unit not responded properly to me i would have not flown it after going up about 15 feet. But now I want to fix this problem. Does the magnet around the compass change the numbers if its too low? and wondering if this will once and for all resolve my problem of not getting calibrated.

You should not get rapid green lights after second vertical rotation of compass calibration. The sequence is orange, rotate then get solid green, rotate and once second rotation is completed the green will go off for a second then back on solid. No rapid flashing. Rapid green lights only happens once for warm up/course lock and again for home lock.

yes double sorry your right..the rapid green is gps lock i think. yes I don't get the sold green after the second vertical calibration. Thats exactly right. Based on the number i'm seeing in the compass check imu or whatever its called. my number look off and maybe thats whats causing the problem. Its just weird that the bird still flys well..I better not jinx me. had one bad experience to last me awhile.

What lights do you get when calibrating the compass in the field?

flashing slow yellow on second spin vertically. Then if i wait about a min or two it gets GPS lock and rapidly flashing green..which is when it locks into satellite. It flys fine, but I'm puzzled about calibration, like i said when i hook it up numbers seem very low?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT