Props coming off during flight

Reaction score
I've had my vision+ for a month now and have had at the least 50 successful flights of varying degrees of total distance traveled, peak altitudes, and a myriad of different environmental conditions during these flights, I.e. Frigid temps, mild temps, heavy to no wind at all etc. Today I was taking another typical flight, not flying too high (350'max), nor too far in distance (approx 900' max). Every aspect of the flight was similar to all previous ones, until I experienced a catastrophic mechanical failure. As I was bringing it in to land, I had it hovering nearly directly overtop of me at about 120'. Right before I was going to begin my descent it began tumbling end over end before ultimately hitting the ground in what was essentially a free fall. During its fall it appeared all rotors were still turning as normal, after collecting the wreckage I noticed one of the grey props was missing entirely, after reviewing the video recording, I can actually see the missing prop flying off its thread, it was at this point it began tumbling through the air. Has anyone else experienced a prop flying off during a routine casual flight? I enjoyed the vision + so much I'm more than likely going to replace it and simply hope I don't experience such a catastrophic failure again. Is this a common problem and/or is there something I overlooked in my preflight procedure that would have tipped me off to an impending mechanical issue? To say the least I'm dumbfounded as to what happens and why, and of course heartbroken at the inexplicable demise to my investment. Any insight to this issue or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want a repeat of this event. Also, what's the likelihood DJI would offer me a replacement or at the least a discount on a new vision+ craft, as I do not need a transmitter, range extender, or battery. Any help is more than appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sorry for your problem. Yes it happens. Normally it is caused by a motor that quits & the prop just spins itself off. It has been reported due to faulty ESC's or a problem with a motor. If it is just a month old, I would be contacting where I purchased from or DJI. Just do a search. There has been a large amount of problems with ESC's in the new V3's. That should not happen.
Good luck, I Hope you get it taken care of.

Thanks guys, and no I have not tried testing the motors yet, However I did notice the motor which lost the prop did seem to have a bad bearing post crash. I assumed it had maybe broke during the crash but it is a bit coincidental in hindsight. I'll try and power up the motors and see what I get, assuming it's still capable. I'll try and troubleshoot the root cause and contact the dealer right away. if I can find anything definitive I'll post my findings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl