Proper procedure for compass cali?

Reaction score
I have seen lots of methods for doing the field compass cali (I am new at this):

1 - rotate the bird about the yaw axis - stand bird 90 degrees on end and rotate about the roll axis
2 - hold the bird at arms length level and rotate your body about it's "yaw" axis, stand the bird 90 degrees on end and do the same thing
3 - rotate the bird about the yaw axis and the stand the bird 90 degrees on end and rotate about the yaw axis again
and many more...

Is there a best and preferred way to do a compass cali? If it does not matter, no big deal - I don't want to start up a thread similar to "what is the best motor oil"....

:)

bergenfelter said:
I have seen lots of methods for doing the field compass cali (I am new at this):

1 - rotate the bird about the yaw axis - stand bird 90 degrees on end and rotate about the roll axis
2 - hold the bird at arms length level and rotate your body about it's "yaw" axis, stand the bird 90 degrees on end and do the same thing
3 - rotate the bird about the yaw axis and the stand the bird 90 degrees on end and rotate about the yaw axis again
and many more...

Is there a best and preferred way to do a compass cali? If it does not matter, no big deal - I don't want to start up a thread similar to "what is the best motor oil"....

I wouldn't think it matters as long as the calibration sequence completes properly

bergenfelter said:

and many more...

#1 and #2 are the same. #2 is easier IMO. #3 also works, which is how I did it when I first got mine and it worked fine. I now use #2.

I use #2. I find it easier to hold it at arms length so I can watch the lights. Feel kind of dumb doing a do-see-do with the Phantom but it is what it is and I have the confidence the compass is calibrated.

Catalina36 said:
I use #2. I find it easier to hold it at arms length so I can watch the lights. Feel kind of dumb doing a do-see-do with the Phantom but it is what it is and I have the confidence the compass is calibrated.

I like this one too (#2)- my neighbors already think I am nuts - doing this just confirms their suspicions.

:mrgreen:

Clockwise? Counter Clockwise?
I'm in Australia, does that matter since our toilets flush differently?

Catalina36 said:
Dirty Bird said:
Clockwise for me.

^ What he said^.

mmm.. common logic would be clockwise.
I knew the answer but I had ask because the image in the online manual shows counter clockwise arrow. Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong?

Can someone verify the direction of the arrow for me.
Compass%20Calibration.JPG

There is no wording whatsoever on counter or clockwise.
The manual for the phantom 2 and normal vision shows the opposite.
Maybe it doesn't matter..

Thanks guys.

interesting... it does look counter clockwise.. I vaguely remember hearing that the direction of calibration for the Vision+ is actually different than the Phantom 2... don't quote me on that.. I've been doing it clockwise with no problems though... I always get the green light...

srandall25 said:
interesting... it does look counter clockwise.. I vaguely remember hearing that the direction of calibration for the Vision+ is actually different than the Phantom 2... don't quote me on that.. I've been doing it clockwise with no problems though... I always get the green light...
I always turn counterclockwise like the picture shows. Works. I hold the phantom at arms length and rotate my body. Works.

It would be quite humorous to discover that all the 'fly-aways', crashes & other weird behaviour were caused by calibrating it in the wrong direction, causing some kind of electronic confusion to the compass.
Come to think of it, the water goes down the drain anti-clockwise in the Northern hemisphere doesn't it? I wonder....

Rotation direction has no effect on the outcome of the compensation.

Richt and sometimes left :lol:

BlackTracer said:
srandall25 said:
I always turn counterclockwise like the picture shows. Works. I hold the phantom at arms length and rotate my body. Works.

Is the center of rotation your body or do you "walk around" the center of rotation on the phantom?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl