Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

propeller balancing kit - how to balance them i mean

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by MoOriginal, Jan 19, 2016.

1. MoOriginal

right so i know there are many many threads on how to balance props - but what i wanted to know

is there a kit that is sold or recommended that provides the actual balance gear and then the method to balance the prop after you find its un balanced.

So I have seen videos of people taking sandpaper to the blades to shave 100ths off its weight etc.

But im not sure what paper to buy or best solution ...
    One ebay seller was suggesting never rub blades with sandpaper instead by his stick felt pads to add to the blades and balance them

So whats the best route

MO

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Either sand the props or attach small pieces of clear Scotch tape to the bottom of the prop (this is what I do). There are some other methods (e.g. clear nail polish), but they are not as easy.

zinuhe likes this.
  3. MoOriginal

Tape - had not considered that

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

It's easy to do and my preferred method since it does not permanently alter the prop.

BigAl07 likes this.
  5. MoOriginal

Indeed seems the easiest way to do things as you can un do a mistake very easily

6. WetDog

Having tried the nail polish (takes too long to dry, the weight changes as the stuff dries) and tape (I'm a clutz with tape), I've settled on Bondic - a UV catalyzed glue. It is thick enough to stay put while you drop it on the prop to balance. Then you smooth it down a bit and zap it with the supplied UV LED. Dries in seconds. Stays on but you can peel it off with a razor.

7. CCDD

Wouldn't tape just come off fairly easily with the high speed of prop??

8. lookin4pain

I personally went with sandpaper, 220. It's real simple using the balancer msinger posted above and I don't have to worry about any tape coming off mid flight.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

9. Fplvert

No, I just wrap the smallest piece necessary to balance the prop near the tip. It usually is about 1/4" wide and just overlaps itself a little.

Most DJI props are very well balanced. Only 2 out of my original 8 needed minor adjustment.

LWC1496 likes this.
  10. I.N.the.SKY

11. happydays

No

12. Ken Hanks

Flying rc aircraft for several years, i just sanded the leading edges. The leading edge was normally sharp and the easiest to sand off and balance the prop. You could also sand the tip which would require the least amount of sanding to balance the prop.

13. ryantrax

This type doesn't work with P3 Props as they are self-tightening. These do work great for regular shaft / nut type props though, I love mine for those. Recently upgraded to the Du-Bro Tru-Spin (Shown in the video above) and the 6mm Du-Bro balancing shaft, I LOVE THEM.

NRJ likes this.
  14. ryantrax

I use 350 grit sandpaper on the middle portion of the blade, not the edges. I've found this way is easier for me than tape too. I also balance the hub with sanding it too.

Reed L likes this.
  15. happydays

I wouldn't be sanding the leading edges - I'd sand the underside of the blade.

Fplvert likes this.
  16. Ken Hanks

17. GreggC

Correct,
    You sand the back not the face, the face is an airfoil, you do not want to alter the airfoil.

18. Ken Hanks

I would argue the point that the leading edge is an airfoil. The entire blade is an airfoil. The tip on the other hand is debatable, but can be sanded also.

Plastic props for rc fixed wing notoriously had a sharp edge. We would sand down the sharp edge to make it smoother to prevent your finger from being sliced as your finger flicked the blade to start the engine. Always balanced the prop after any sanding or even after initial purchase.
    [​IMG]

19. Dounin Front

I also use the DuBro, though I was very disappointed with the build quality when I assembled it. But then, I like to modify things anyway. I got my 6mm balance rod from Speedy Prop (Amazon)
    Since I use CF black DJI props, I found a tiny piece of electrical tape works best to balance the blades. It leaves no residue and can be moved or removed easily, but stays on well.

20. Dounin Front