propeller balancing kit - how to balance them i mean

right so i know there are many many threads on how to balance props - but what i wanted to know

is there a kit that is sold or recommended that provides the actual balance gear and then the method to balance the prop after you find its un balanced.

So I have seen videos of people taking sandpaper to the blades to shave 100ths off its weight etc.

But im not sure what paper to buy or best solution ...
One ebay seller was suggesting never rub blades with sandpaper instead by his stick felt pads to add to the blades and balance them

So whats the best route

MO

Don't play around with a temp fix. Just use this link and do it correctly. Balanced many props (plastic and CF) by sanding, never had an issue.

Balancing Carbon Fiber Props : The Right Way!

I have both, but the DuBro seems easier to work with. I bought the Speedy just for the 6mm balance rod. I can't understand why DuBro doesn't include it.
They are happy to sell it to you for $15 though... I'm guessing that's probably why LOL

+1 for sanding. That´s what I always did with RC props anyway, and it just plain works. Used electrical tape a few times when in a hurry to fly, and it never came off so I guess it´s OK for DJI props too. But a fine sanding goes a long way. And I balance all props even new and just purchased. DJI props are 95% spot on but still I´m very picky and I like to check balance and work a bit on props anyway, guess it´s just habit. DuBro alu shaft is fine but I prefer EJ´s better.

Reactions: Solar Deity
This may be a lot easier than it appears. I have had great results using a very simple and cheap Orion RC balance rod made for the P3 along with one of my wife's crystal glasses on a level table. Very easy. The method I use for the prop is 320 sandpaper on the heavier tip of the propeller; have not had to adjust hubs. Out of 8 props, 5 needed ever so slight adjustment. Before beginning - if you have time and some patience - it is good idea to anchor the craft and idle up with a smartphone/accelerometer app attached to the top to first see IF you have a problem in the first place (probably find the technique on YTube).

Note: sanding tips rather than altering the foil profile seems to be a better way to prevent alteration of the precise airfoil profile; keep in mind that fixing mass balance CAN throw off dynamic balance otherwise.

DuBro alu shaft is fine but I prefer EJ´s better.
Wish I had know this a couple weeks ago when I bought my DuBro shaft :/ oh well seems to work good.

@ryantrax:

Yeah don´t worry it´s more than enough to get a pretty perfect balance most of the time. I compared the EJ with the DuBro and they´re right there most of the times. I used to obssess with this but not anymore. Of course I still thrive for the best possible but in fact it´s OK if you get it good and sand off major imbalances. I don´t even bother balancing the hubs anymore, not with DJI anyway. Also IMHO it´s OK to sand off the inner camber, the tip or whatever (I prefer the inner part myself). It´s just a very tiny surface, nanometers really (considering they´re not too off, that is).

They've all been relatively close, but I found one DJI white prop where the hub was way off. I balanced it, but I just keep it as a spare and will probably never use it.
All agree that the underside is the side to modify, but "professional" Youtube people seem to have different preferences as to adding or removing material. I settled on electrical tape because it matches my props and I can easily see if they've been balanced later on.

I have used the DuBro for years... works well... as for the actual balance step... I use a sharp steak knife and just drag the blade over the prop... from the center then out to the edge... the knife just scrapes a very small amount of the prop material off of the side that shows to be the heavy side... takes a couple measurements and they come out perfect... and its faster than sand paper and the prop isn't all scratched up from the sand paper...

Reactions: Dounin Front
I also use the DuBro, though I was very disappointed with the build quality when I assembled it
I normally balance my props with the SpeedyTM prop balancer, but I decided to pick up a DuBro prop balancer this week since people constantly rave about it. I too am very disappointed with the build quality. It was tough to put together. However, it does work just fine after setting it up and adjusting it.

Reactions: Dounin Front
a lot of good idea I guess I can try a few

I have found that all the carbon fibre props ive bought from 3rd party and even the dji reinforced ones - always seem to give me shake - ive tested this by putting on the standard ones and no shake...
Hence I have several sets of carbon props lying around that i think need balancing

a lot of good idea I guess I can try a few

I have found that all the carbon fibre props ive bought from 3rd party and even the dji reinforced ones - always seem to give me shake - ive tested this by putting on the standard ones and no shake...
Hence I have several sets of carbon props lying around that i think need balancing
Re: CF Props
I bought the DJI CF props because people said they were quieter and I liked the black color with stripes at the ends.
They do not sound any quieter to me - only deeper pitched (which I like).
There is no shake.
They are stiffer (but is that better?)
They are actually very slightly heavier than the OE props (a surprise)
They didn't look like all things carbon fiber. Particularly, I couldn't see the fiber.
But, they balanced easily and seem ok, although it was probably a waste of money to replace the OE props unnecessarily.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj