Prop lifespan...

Reaction score
I've been replacing my props at 20 flight intervals, as a preventative measure.

Does anyone think that this is overkill?

I'd replace them if they start to show damage or feel looser than normal when checked.

Ummhhhh....thats just crazy...lol No reason you shouldn't get HUNDREDS of flights out of the props unless you damage them.

If you have a prop strike then probably best thing is to replace it because it could be comprised at the root/hub of the prop but other than that, as Stones says, keep using them until you feel them to be sloppy when installing them.

Considering that a prop could be damaged on even its first use, it would make better sense to routinely inspect them carefully prior to each flight. Change them when you notice any damage or wear around the locking mechanism inside of the hub. If the props don't strike anything, they should last for years.

Wasteful.

My P2 is my current record holder. Props 2.6-2.7 years old.

My experience with the prop system on the P4 has included all of the good advice above, and although it's hard to put a number of hours or flights on the necessity to swap out the props, you should get a lot more than 20 flights on a set - absent a prop strike or some other incident.

Also, it is important to inspect the attachment hubs mounted to the motors. This should include checking that the screws are snug and that there are no cracks in the hubs around the fastener holes. If you have the original style hubs with the three, metal finger springs, the fingers should be lifted upward now and then to assure they provide proper retention. There is also a new style hub available for the P4 series that gets rid of the finger springs and has a single coil spring that fits over the motor shaft beneath the new hub. They are a great upgrade and recommended.

Here is a link to the new hubs from MSinger's Phantomhelp page: Buy Phantom 4 Series - Propeller Mounting Plate

Yep, overkill IMHO. No damage and properly balanced...Good to go!

Yeah, I use mine until damaged, chipped or out of balance and cannot be rebalanced. I always keep a couple of spare sets but don't change them.
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl