Procedure Requesting Permission to Fly Near Airport

Reaction score
I've been doing all my drone flying in rural areas away from airports, but I will soon have to do flying within 5 miles of controlled airspace. I'm a part 107 drone pilot.

Could someone direct me to a link or info so I can get back up to speed with this?

I contacted an airport in my area and spoke with a controller and asked whether they want to know about all flights within 5 miles, even those of very low altitudes (like 100 feet off the ground) and he said yes and that he had no authority to give me any blanket approval, and further if I were seen and reported, the cops would show up and I'd have some explaining to do and would be subject to fines.

I'm a little hazy about the procedure for each flight and what I need to do. He directed me to www.faa.gov/uas but cautioned me that it might take awhile to be approved.

Let's say I have to photograph a building 3 miles from a major airport. What do I need to do and how long until I would receive approval? What if on the day I said I was going to do the photography the weather was bad and I wanted to do it the next day? From what point is the 5 miles measured?

I've been doing all my drone flying in rural areas away from airports, but I will soon have to do flying within 5 miles of controlled airspace. I'm a part 107 drone pilot.

Could someone direct me to a link or info so I can get back up to speed with this?

I contacted an airport in my area and spoke with a controller and asked whether they want to know about all flights within 5 miles, even those of very low altitudes (like 100 feet off the ground) and he said yes and that he had no authority to give me any blanket approval, and further if I were seen and reported, the cops would show up and I'd have some explaining to do and would be subject to fines.

I'm a little hazy about the procedure for each flight and what I need to do. He directed me to www.faa.gov/uas but cautioned me that it might take awhile to be approved.

Let's say I have to photograph a building 3 miles from a major airport. What do I need to do and how long until I would receive approval? What if on the day I said I was going to do the photography the weather was bad and I wanted to do it the next day? From what point is the 5 miles measured?

If you are flying commercially, then yes, you must have the FAA waiver and you must also inform the tower of your intentions before you fly. I don't fly commercially, so I cannot help you with how the waiver process works, but I do take photographs within 1/2 mile of a class C airport as a hobbyist. I call the tower a half hour or so before I want to fly. I tell them who I am, where I am going to fly, how high, that I'll be flying line of sight, and between what times (say between 11:00 and 11:30 am). I do not ask for permission because they are not authorized to give permission for liability reasons. I tell them I will call them back as soon as I'm back on the ground and done for the day. Some times they ask me for my telephone number should they need to call me back. They have always thanked me for informing them after each of my calls. The photography I'm doing is sequential images over several months of two construction projects strictly for my own amusement.

Last edited:
All flights under Part 107 within controlled airspace have to have prior approval (either a waiver or an authorization) and that approval has to be requested through the FAA online process. The 5 mile rule doesn't apply to Part 107. An authorization is usually limited to short term requests (mine was for 30 days) and cover a particular location and radius. When issued, the authorization would usually spell out the particulars of how/if you need to contact ATC before each flight. For mine, I had to call Columbus ATC which controls the Class E sfc space that I wanted to fly in. although times are getting better, still need to anticipate that 30-60 days is not unusual. Waivers are for longer times, up to 2 years and seem to be taking up to 90 day. I'm currently at day 60-65 on my waiver request.

I really need to study my stuff. I have been used to doing aerial photography as a pilot and passenger and the pilot did all this stuff, though we got the permission to enter these air spaces the same day. I understood it takes a long time to get a waiver, but does it also take a lot of time to get permission to fly in those air spaces just for one or two missions?

An aeronautical sectional chart is a great tool to help in determining airspace size and class. I recommend getting one form a local pilot training school or airport. They are around 10 bucks. I've been using Air Map for fun flying notifications. There are quite a few airports that are accepting digital notifications from Air Map and apparently it gives them a visual indication of where you'll be flying.

Have a fun and safe flight.

An aeronautical sectional chart is a great tool to help in determining airspace size and class. I recommend getting one form a local pilot training school or airport. They are around 10 bucks. I've been using Air Map for fun flying notifications. There are quite a few airports that are accepting digital notifications from Air Map and apparently it gives them a visual indication of where you'll be flying.

Have a fun and safe flight.
Those notifications are only good for hobby flying. All Part 107 flying into controlled airspace has to go through the on-line process. to answer the OP's second post, authorizations may take less time, but you still have to go through the process. The FAA has been very clear on this even directing ATC's that they are NOT to give authorizations to 'commercial' pilots who call them.

Reactions: W. Matt Burchfield
When they do give the authorization, is there usually a followup call you have to make when you do the flight?

I've got a couple just a mile off the ends of runways. I've done this type of photography from manned aircraft, and they work with you if they can, but a drone photo planned out in advance--it seems it might be too easy to just deny it.

I think they need to think about rewriting the rules and possibly allow for 200' without authorization at a certain distance--maybe at 2.5 miles.

When they do give the authorization, is there usually a followup call you have to make when you do the flight?

I've got a couple just a mile off the ends of runways. I've done this type of photography from manned aircraft, and they work with you if they can, but a drone photo planned out in advance--it seems it might be too easy to just deny it.

I think they need to think about rewriting the rules and possibly allow for 200' without authorization at a certain distance--maybe at 2.5 miles.
There were specific instructions in my authorization about calling the responsible ATC prior to flying. I'm sure that we will see the whole process evolve. An example is the new airspace grid system that the FAA is producing to show maximum 'ok' altitudes that can be used to plan authorization requests. But, at present, this is the one we have to work with. And I doubt that we will ever see blanket pre-approval to enter any controlled airspace.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl