President can't fly drone

He could get a waiver from the FAA who I would hope would make him fill out the online portal form and wait in line like everyone else. Except I think we all know they would not inconvenience him like they do to us.

Reactions: DougAles
Let's keep this topic on track and NOT make it political, as tempting as it may be for some of us.

As ianwood mentioned aircraft (including UAS) can be, and HAVE been cleared to fly inside of TFR's.
BigA107 - do you know if these clearances are only for 107's or can a hobbyist like me apply and be cleared? I'm one of those affected by the current NO NOT FLY restricted area in New Jersey.

♦️Question for the smart people here.

Is the president of the USA banned from flying a drone?

Anywhere the president goes, the president is in the middle of a no-fly zone. If the president moves to a different location, the no-fly zone moves with them.

So, technically, the president of the United States could not legally fly a drone, correct?

That is an interesting thought experiment, however I believe the answer is no. The President could fly a drone if he wanted to.

The President is the head of the executive branch, the FAA is a part of the executive branch, therefor the President is the boss, he would simply order the FAA to make an exception to the TFR, which is well within his authority to do. No doubt the media would have a field day with it either way though. BREAKING: President Trump spies on women! (When he actually just flew a P4 Pro around the Rose Garden)

He could also pardon himself if he forgot and someone at the FAA felt like committing career suicide.

Also, one could argue that since the TFR only exists to protect him that it cannot possibly apply to him.

Or, as Commander in Chief, he could simply take remote command of a fully armed Reaper drone anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: AyeYo and DougAles
Someone should mention it to the White House! I'll bet The Prez would enjoy flying them and it just might help in his understanding about our Hobby Drones. Let him fly a drone over one of his Golf Courses, he'd get a kick out it!

Actually, I think he probably would. Lol

Guys... Please let's just keep politics out of this.... Thanks...

-slinger

Anywhere the president goes, the president is in the middle of a no-fly zone. If the president moves to a different location, the no-fly zone moves with them.

So, technically, the president of the United States could not legally fly a drone, correct?

The president creates his own zone, because he is the president, he can fly whatever he likes, drones, helicopters, airplanes etc.
No body else can fly anything while he is there, including commercial aircraft.
The no-fly zone is for the rest of the public not the president.

I'm with Indiana Pyro. He is the President, he could probably fly a drone out of Air Force One if he wanted. I'll bet if he ever got the chance to fly a drone he would be hooked like the rest of us!

From the thread title, I thought his pilot skills were being discussed, rather than legal issues! I thought he crashed a drone! Perhaps the thread title should be corrected to "The President May Not Fly a Drone"... Clearly he can, but may he? :p

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of the restricted airspace around POTUS and various related locales.

By default there is a 30 NM TFR at locations that he travels to. But, as pointed out above, a TFR is not a no-fly zone - it's a restricted flight zone. The local ATC center can clear authorized traffic into the TFR. It's not an FAA waiver - it just requires authorization from the authority implementing the TFR. POTUS could obviously request authorization to fly an aircraft or drone in his own TFR.

Around certain specific locations, such as Camp David (P-40) and the US Capitol (P-56), there are permanent airspace restrictions for national security reasons in the form of prohibited areas that exclude all flights, and aircraft cannot be cleared to enter by ATC or the controlling authority. I'm not sure how POTUS would get clearance to fly in a PA, but I'm sure it would be possible.

Around certain specific locations, such as Camp David (P-40) and the US Capitol (P-56), there are permanent airspace restrictions for national security reasons in the form of prohibited areas that exclude all flights, and aircraft cannot be cleared to enter by ATC or the controlling authority. I'm not sure how POTUS would get clearance to fly in a PA, but I'm sure it would be possible.

Ummmm, almost totally true. Those two locations DO allow aircraft to operate within them, but the authorization has to come from the controlling authority (not sure if that is the FAA, Secret Service, military, or whoever in those two cases). Were it not so then how come the POTUS can be flown to/from Camp David by helicopter, and how come the last POTUS could be flown from the US Capitol area back in January when the current POTUS was inaugurated?

Ummmm, almost totally true. Those two locations DO allow aircraft to operate within them, but the authorization has to come from the controlling authority (not sure if that is the FAA, Secret Service, military, or whoever in those two cases). Were it not so then how come the POTUS can be flown to/from Camp David by helicopter, and how come the last POTUS could be flown from the US Capitol area back in January when the current POTUS was inaugurated?

Actually what I wrote was correct, although I should have elaborated. Entry into prohibited airspace can only be authorized by the using agency, not the controlling agency. That's how the POTUS flights are cleared to enter.

Reactions: BigAl07
The issuing agency can allow a flight in/through PA. Some would know this as AHJ or Agency Having Jurisdiction for that particular Prohibited Airspace.

He can do whatever he wants, apparently. You are screwed if you live near his favorite golf course. 22 mile limit.

excellent post. It is always nice to see a conversation about the POTUS without a lot of anger. This made me smile.
I thought the conversation was really about grammar, and the difference between can and may. ;)

Any further comments that are politically motivated and the thread will be closed.
We allow very little political talk as per the rules - Community Guidelines
Number 13 covers this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka