Power Lines? Have no fear.

I know a place near my most regular flight zone where two power lines like those come together from different directions and turn 90 degrees and if I try to fly into the corner of the power lines I can only get within maybe 150 meters and my Phantom goes into return to home mode.Well within max range and with no obstructions in the way.
I can only surmise that it is something to do with the power lines causing this.
I have flown close to the same type of lines when they are in a strait line and had no problems.Not quite as close as in that video though.I sometimes can't see the actual cables through the FPV camera so I tent to stay well clear of power lines for that reason anyway.

NorthernObserver said:
Have no fear

I sure hope you have a legitimate reason for flying that close to those lines and towers. I am going to assume you have a job that requires you to fly close to these lines to inspect connections and insulators. I am happy to see that the power distribution companies are transitioning to unmanned aircraft for regular inspection now instead of putting men and real aircraft at risk for frontline inspections.

PTCX - The reason your phantom goes into RTH is because of the way the wires come together. An electromagnetic field(EMF) is projected from each load carrying line. Each field runs roughly parallel to the line generating the field. Because of the way the wires are strung on that particular area the fields extend out past where the phantom is. Think of earths magnetic field in the same way as that EMF. Once the phantom is inside that field area, size and volume depend on line voltage and direction, the connection to the remote is lost. It can transmit out but you can not get signal to the phantom.

Also flying this close to these towers is absolutely ridiculous because the EMF can interfere with the compass trying to read the much weaker geomagnetic field.

I only did it twice.Once was coincidental and the second time was from another take off point and for curiosity sake.
I figured it was EMF and steer clear of that area now.It is in the middle of a swamp and if the Phantom were to fall it would most likely fall into salt water and we all know how bad that is.
It's a little difficult to avoid relative proximity to power lines where I live as the only legal (legalish) flight zone within 50 k's of home is close to an aluminium smelter (2-3 klm) and there are power lines going to it from every which way.I can stay at least 200-300 meters away from them in most spots suitable for flying though.
There is a model flying club that has had an area at this location for decades so all the local pilots of light planes,ultralights and helicopters know of it and give the area a wide birth so it's fairly safe to fly in the area.
Just about everywhere around here is within 5.5klm of some kind of airfield or other obligatory to avoid type of site so trying to stay within the rules is not so easy.

If you drive under them you often get a lot of radio interference so potential is there to block your relatively weak transmitter.
It would be unwise to think that if someone flies near one line safely, all others are the same - because there will be much variation for example how much current is flowing at any time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl