Polar Pro ND Filters Sale

B and H is running a one day sale today on the Polar Pro 3 pack. On sale for $30, normally $70. I personally use another brand, so I can't comment on these, but others on here use them and have rated them positively.

B&H DealZone

I went ahead and took the plunge and got these for $30 despite all the naysayers... Not too bad for $30 bucks and I realize that I'm probably not going to need anything more than this. I live in sunny and bright California and these are just right.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I went ahead and took the plunge and got these for $30 despite all the naysayers... Not too bad for $30 bucks and I realize that I'm probably not going to need anything more than this. I live in sunny and bright California and these are just right.
You might make sure you can first safely remove the original UV filter without breaking anything, as the other filters from Polar are useless if you cannot.:eek: Cross threading, once you have removed it, will be your biggest threat when screwing on the Polar's. If that happens, then you are toast! The aluminum threads on the lens are very delicate, and were never intended for multiple daily threading and unthreading as the light changes!

Last edited:
You might make sure you can first safely remove the original UV filter without breaking anything, as the other filters from Polar are useless if you cannot.:eek: Cross threading, once you have removed it, will be your biggest threat when screwing on the Polar's. If that happens, then you are toast! The aluminum threads on the lens are very delicate, and were never intended for multiple daily threading and unthreading as the light changes!

Thanks for the tip! The trick for me was to put on some rubber/latex gloves for extra grip and then firmly turn the original UV lens loose. It was on tight but not too tight. When I switch filters I make sure to turn them slowly without over-tightening them.

I was lucky. Mine came loose with gentle twisting. Others have suggested a drop of 3 in 1 oil on the threads to reduce friction afterwards, when replacing the filter. The Polar Pro polarizer also only works by deliberately leaving it partially unscrewed to achieve the correct orientation. Not ideal, as it then is always loose. ND 8 of 3 stops only gets you to 1/50th if the AE is 1/400 at ISO 100, and ND 4 of 2 stops is only useful if you would otherwise be at 1/200 at ISO 100. At f/2.8 in bright sunlight at ISO 100, you will be well above 1/1000, so what you really need are ND 16 and ND 32. The ND 4 and ND 8 are really useless with a fixed f/2.8 aperture lens.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl