Polar Pro ND Filters Sale

Reaction score
B and H is running a one day sale today on the Polar Pro 3 pack. On sale for $30, normally $70. I personally use another brand, so I can't comment on these, but others on here use them and have rated them positively.

B&H DealZone

For anyone thinking of picking up this set, it would make better sense to save your $30 and invest it toward the Polar Pro 6-pack. Out of the 3 filters in the 3-pack, the PL and ND4 filters won't be usable in many scenarios. The 6-pack comes with additional ND8 and ND16 filters -- which is what most people need. It also comes with an ND32 filter for very bright conditions.

Last edited:
I think I might agree. I have never had a need for my ND4. Almost always using the ND16, and the ND8 comes on occasion. But I use Taco filters myself.

For anyone thinking of picking up this set, it would make better sense to save your $30 and invest it toward the Polar Pro 6-pack. Out of the 3 filters in the 3-pack, the PL and ND4 filters won't be usable in many scenarios. The 6-pack comes with additional ND8 and ND16 filters -- which is what most people need. It also comes with an ND32 filter for very bright conditions.
Thanks again for your knowledgeable input you're right I almost jumped on that deal.

You're welcome. I think that explains why B&H is trying to unload them as such a bargain price ;)

Reactions: td619
I also use the Taco filters and would recommend them over either of the Polar Pro sets due to weight and price. Just posted the Polar sale for those who may be interested.

Guys, how do you know when best to use ND4, ND8 or ND16? Do you have a trick to measure which one is best under such or such sunny conditions?? I live under the Tropics, so I guess I should use a high number but really unsure which filter...

With my limited knowledge on ND filters (since I only just received them), to choose the correct filter means you have to try them out first. If it is a sunny condition, you can try ND8 filter first, then set the ISO to 100, set the shutter speed to about double of your current video frame-per-second speed. Look through the Phantom's camera on your phone/tablet, see if the scene looks too bright or burn-out. If it is too bright, change to higher ND filter.

The Polar Pro 6 Pack is an even worse deal at $149, as you end up still paying for the same extra filters you will never need or use, and at a premium price! Taco RC filters are a much better value, are identical in weight to the original UV haze filter, and at half the price, and you only pay for what you need. Alternatively, go with the 6 gel filters from PhantomFilters.com for $25 shipped!

6 gel filters from PhantomFilters.com for $25 shipped!
If anyone is going with gels, get the Ditzler Photo gels instead. The tab design allows the gels to be handled without getting fingerprints on the area of the gel that covers the camera lens. Tabless gels are hard to handle (I've tried them).

If anyone is going with gels, get the Ditzler Photo gels instead. The tab design allows the gels to be handled without getting fingerprints on the area of the gel that covers the camera lens. Tabless gels are hard to handle (I've tried them).
Having reviewed the Ditzler system, I am sold, and just bought a kit! Thanks for the recommendation! Being able to leave the original filter in place is huge! The lens filter screw threads are very delicate, and definitely not designed for daily use/abuse that swapping filters during lighting changes requires! :eek: I can even use the Dizler plastic ring with my existing gels that I bought to go inside the stock UV fliter, which include a polarizer filter! :)

It's really a nice kit (I own one). I prefer glass filters because they are easier to keep clean, but gels can work just as well if you don't mind putting in some extra effort to handle them carefully.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
It's really a nice kit (I own one). I prefer glass filters because they are easier to keep clean, but gels can work just as well if you don't mind putting in some extra effort to handle them carefully.
Exactly. I bought the triple pack for spares. I don't expect to use them very often, but the ease of use will certainly encourage more experimentation using them. If I get serious and see a real benefit, I'll pick up one of the glass filters that also mount over the existing filter. Thanks again. I wouldn't have found these otherwise!

Yeah, received my 3 pack last Friday. After trying them out in a few scenarios, I noticed that the first two filters don't really help much on really bright days. (Miami). So now I'm returning them to Amazon and was going to either go for the Cinema Series 3 pack (8/PL 16/PL 32/PL) or this6 pack.

I wouldn't bother with that Polar Pro 3 pack even for $15. They're just dumping inventory no one wants to buy. When was the last time you used ND4? Or jut PL?

Exactly...

I do have the 6 pack and it is great. The only thing that annoys me is that my plastic gimbal holder - the one you slide over the lens - doesn't fit on top of the Polar Pro filters because they are slightly wider than stock. I need to take off PP filters after each flight. Not a biggie and not PP fault...

Taco also makes some quality stuff also. They also have some interesting accessories.

Plastic gels? Well... they seem great in theory. But you will find that they are super fragile. $35 sounds cheap now, but it won't sound cheap if you damage your gels after 1 use. A gel is a good solution for someone who just wants to put something on there and just leave it.

Guys, how do you know when best to use ND4, ND8 or ND16? Do you have a trick to measure which one is best under such or such sunny conditions?? I live under the Tropics, so I guess I should use a high number but really unsure which filter...

One trick is to put on a middle filter like ND16 on the ground and see if you can get to 1/50 shutter on the ground and how the histogram looks. Based on that, you will know through experience if you are in the range, or if you need to go down or up. Tropics during the day? Most likely ND32.

I have used PolarPro and Taco filters. I prefer Taco for not adding extra weight to camera and good quality results.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I wouldn't bother with that Polar Pro 3 pack even for $15. They're just dumping inventory no one wants to buy. When was the last time you used ND4? Or jut PL?

Exactly...

I do have the 6 pack and it is great. The only thing that annoys me is that my plastic gimbal holder - the one you slide over the lens - doesn't fit on top of the Polar Pro filters because they are slightly wider than stock. I need to take off PP filters after each flight. Not a biggie and not PP fault...

Taco also makes some quality stuff also. They also have some interesting accessories.

Plastic gels? Well... they seem great in theory. But you will find that they are super fragile. $35 sounds cheap now, but it won't sound cheap if you damage your gels after 1 use. A gel is a good solution for someone who just wants to put something on there and just leave it.

One trick is to put on a middle filter like ND16 on the ground and see if you can get to 1/50 shutter on the ground and how the histogram looks. Based on that, you will know through experience if you are in the range, or if you need to go down or up. Tropics during the day? Most likely ND32.
The plastic gels are also stackable with no increase in weight, and while fragile, the gels are dirt cheap to replace, once you have the mounting mechanism. With three external plastic mounts included in the $35 package above, you never have to handle the filters, once you decide which three you want to keep in them, and they are removable in a second to install the stock plastic gimbal protector, and they come in a small metal tin to protect them. You can also combine a polarizer gel with any of them, too. Quality gels can be purchased in sheets and cut to size, if you are needing to replace them more frequently.

Two things that haven't been mentioned that might be even more useful than the plain ND and polarizer filters are graduated ND filters to darken down the sky, while retaining exposure in the ground below, and a multistop variable ND filter, which is far more useful than fixed ND filters. Both are currently available in glass.

Eh... I used ND4 and the image videos look good to me (trying to justify paying $69 for the 3 piece set, lol)

DJI actually sells their own ND filters, identical in weight to the original UV filter that they replace, which can be bought individually for $29, as I recall. Shipping cost is outrageous, though!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie