PLEASE READ: "Home Point Bug" may cause RTH issues

Oso

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
As some of you know, there have been a number of recent reports which seem to indicate that the latest Android version of the GO app (v3.1.2) is not correctly marking your home point location. Also, that it may incorrectly reset your home point during flight which could result in your Phantom attempting to return home to a point roughly 1km WNW away from the actual home point.

There have been a few threads pertaining to RTH issues here as well as on the DJI forum and elsewhere, but in my humble opinion this is not yet as widely known as I think it should be considering it's seriousness. That's why I created this thread.

To me, it seems like a legit bug. DJI does know about these reports, so I'd expect an update soon.

Again, I only wanted to get this information out to more people. I am not an expert on the issue by any means. I don't even use the android version myself. I only know what I have read here and other forums and I am hoping to help make you aware if you are not already. Please correct anything or add anything pertinent.

Please read about this reported issue and make your own decision on whether or not you want to continue using that version of the app. I included a few links below with some background information to get you started.

Maybe try this test if you use the Android 3.1.2 app:
Open up the GO app without your RC and AC. Where are you located in the app? What the reports are saying is that they see themselves reported as being roughly 1km WNW of their actual location.

Note that there are indications that the Litchi app is not impacted, but use with caution until you are confident.

One work around is to simply rollback to an earlier version of the Android GO app until a fix is released.

Please use this thread to help keep the community updated with any news, additional information, corrections or with your personal experiences.

Background information:

Phantom 3 Pro flying away to a 1.2 km away random HP

Lost drone

Standard - First fly away with Happyish ending

"select return position" problem

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=81598&pid=659713

Last edited:
In most of these cases, the pilots were flying in beginner mode and chose to return to the current position when DJI GO prompted them to initiate RTH. However, I did see a few logs where the home point seemed to be mysteriously reset mid-flight. In all cases, the home point was set correctly on takeoff.

In most of these cases, the pilots were flying in beginner mode and chose to return to the current position when DJI GO prompted them to initiate RTH. However, I did see a few logs where the home point seemed to be mysteriously reset mid-flight. In all cases, the home point was set correctly on takeoff.
Thanks for adding the info. A mysterious home point reset mid-flight is sure to be a popular new feature. ;)

Reactions: JoBe
Looking at reports of this issue, most (all?) seem to be with the Standard.
I'm not sure if this is due to the numbers out there or it's a Standard specific problem.
The direction isn't always the same but the distances are usually less than 2 miles.
When the user has a maximum distance set, this causes additional difficulty because after resetting home, the new home point is beyond the limit.
This makes retrieving the Phantom difficult, particularly when the Std gets out of contact distance in RTH to the new Home point.

Looking at reports of this issue, most (all?) seem to be with the Standard.
I'm not sure if this is due to the numbers out there or it's a Standard specific problem.
The direction isn't always the same but the distances are usually less than 2 miles.
When the user has a maximum distance set, this causes additional difficulty because after resetting home, the new home point is beyond the limit.
This makes retrieving the Phantom difficult, particularly when the Std gets out of contact distance in RTH to the new Home point.
It's not just the P3S and it's not just people in beginner mode. This is an Android 3.1.2 bug. Several P3A and P3P owners have noted the issue with the app showing them to be about a kilometer away from their actual location.

Last edited:
There are tests and results being done literally daily by myself and I hope others ... but I post up my results as soon as video is processed by YT ...

Please see : Test flight P3S, FW 1.8.10, Go app 2.9.1 Results for you

Which is an active thread specific to this Standard problem and its FW and Go app ...

All tests so far show that the FW is OK - latest 1.8.10 does reduce range but is stable, the biggest problem is the Go app 3.1.2 which is unstable and creates erroneous points and items. It also has a serious video streaming fault where video can freeze / delay / lag to such extent as to become near unusable.

Nigel

There are tests and results being done literally daily by myself and I hope others ... but I post up my results as soon as video is processed by YT ...

Please see : Test flight P3S, FW 1.8.10, Go app 2.9.1 Results for you

Which is an active thread specific to this Standard problem and its FW and Go app ...

All tests so far show that the FW is OK - latest 1.8.10 does reduce range but is stable, the biggest problem is the Go app 3.1.2 which is unstable and creates erroneous points and items. It also has a serious video streaming fault where video can freeze / delay / lag to such extent as to become near unusable.

Nigel
Thanks for adding the link and the info about additional issues with 3.1.2.

Note to all: The issue with 3.1.2 is not specific to the P3S or to pilots in beginner mode. P3A and P3P owners, this does relate to you even if this thread has now been relocated out of the Pro/Adv forum. See the links in post #1 for more detail, including a thread from a P3P owner who posted a great screen recording of the home point issue which is the topic of this thread.

Last edited:
It's amazing that this issue is so widely discussed yet the software remains in place by DJI.

I took delivery of my first drone yesterday, set it up, activated, watched tutorials then proceeded to some basic test flights utilising the return to home function on each occasion without issue until my 4th flight.

When I pressed the return to home button the drone ascended and shot off over the houses in my street and into the horizon, all the time being unresponsive before disconnecting from the radio controller.

I had less than 20 mins enjoyment and have not seen the drone since! It makes me mad!

Further details and logs attached on the DJI thread

What the hell just happened.......

I have a P3A.
I just this test with V 3.1.1 without the AC connected.
Started GO with the remote connected and my location was spot on and drifted about +-15 feet.
I tried this several times and it always worked great.

I then uninstall 3.1.1 and "upgraded" to 3.1.2.
Started GO with remote connected and my location was 3.2 miles away with a heading of 277 deg. (WNW)!!!
Tried shutting down GO and my tablet (Nvidia Shield K1, android 6.0.1) and restarted.
SAME exact result!! Off by 3.2 (edited... was 2.3 and should be 3.2) Miles at a slightly different location (about 50 feet south).

I am going to go back to 3.1.1 and give it another test, but I think my results will be the same, and I will stick with 3.1.1

Yep! Dumped 3.1.2 and installed 3.1.1 and my location was PERFECT!

Conclusion... 3.1.2 is CRAP!!!!
Another thing.... I was doing all these tests INDOORS!

Last edited:
Type this in to get it.....

1485474572127.png

Neon Euc

I put a link up with all the versions earlier . Feel free to grab an alternative [emoji4]

Neon Euc
WOOPS! sorry... that is where I got my versions! thanks for posting them! A real life saver!

Reactions: Neon Euc
I downgraded also...then read another forum( which I can't find again) that in 3.1.2 the China maps are on by default and if you turn that off the issue goes away. Not sure if anyone else has seen that or not. Might try it again this weekend.
Don't think so, I've had that switch on and off in older version of Go and it had no impact on my flight. Sometimes when you update the Go app it does turn that switch on by default, but has never had a negative impact.

I very glad that I found this post. I have a P3A and i was using the android 3.1.2 version of DJI GO. I opened the app without connecting to the AC and it was showing a location approximately 2.5 miles NW of my location. I have never noticed this discrepancy before but I am glad that I did. I downgraded to 3.1.1 and everything is perfect now. I did not have any trouble while actually flying on 3.1.2 but this could have potentially saved me in the future. I jist wanted to confirm that it is happening to P3A users and not just P3S users like someone had asked. If you are running 3.1.2, you may want to take a few minutes and down grade to potentially prevent a fly away. Safe flying!

Sent from my SM-G928P using PhantomPilots mobile app

OK - lets sort one thing .....

The position shown to the mid left on the Go app is referenced to the AC and home point ... not RC.
The far right where a man is standing in the icon. That is distance from RC to AC.

So if AC is not on and you start up Go ... the distance will NEVER be correct. It has no GPS position of AC transmitted back to use. Once you start up both RC and AC and they log in ... THEN you start a flight - the Home position is registered ... you will see that distance change as the position references.

Here's a video showing exactly that ... you only need watch first bit till it takes off ... I agree that it only changes from a couple of metres to 0 ... but it shows my point.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nigel

Reactions: Simzy666

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31