Pilot App crashing. "unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" Screen Record

I'm getting them all time with the nvidia shield tablet... Dji has been emailed, hope they fix it soon.

I just flew my maiden flight yesterday no issues. Booted it up this evening from my Shield as well, got the same issue first time and almost freaked out then the app came back on 5 min later the android whatever message showed it crashed. Ill try again tomorrow I cleared my cache on the app and ive restarted my tablet and allowing it to charge as well. If its of any use I do turn wifi off and for just that time I did have it on. If it happens again tomorrow Ill let you know. This is only day 2 for me, but I wanted to let you know I was running the same setup as you so your not alone. Fyi.. as a normal forum courtesy goes.. Im new here so sup fellow flyas..
-Matt

I keep saying the same this is a app issue not Android... I use all other apps without any problem, only the Dji pilot app has issues...
Just hope dji learn how to adapt the app to Android 5.1 because this is clearly a issue of them...

Just curious but do they offer the source files to this app. Id look at if they have them available. It may take me a day next week when Im slow, but Ill take a look at it.

Just flew again, app still crashing. Even after clearing video cache and cache from the app android screen. Seems to crash while Im changing the camera settings was able to get it to do it 3 times in 5 min. Going to delete the app and reinstall next.

I'm running without issue:
Nexus 6 Lollypop 5.1.1
Pilot app 1.2.0 (from play store)
P3A on firmware 1.1.9
I do not cache video locally.

This has been reported on the DJI FB page, it is NOT the pilot app, it is the stupid Google play store and download manager crashing. I hate Google with a passion, **** bloatware. So glad I run IOS for the pilot app, three more flights today testing Shou screen recorder, all is good.

Funny it crashes on my ipad too i just dont get a message it just shuts down.

I'm getting them all time with the nvidia shield tablet... Dji has been emailed, hope they fix it soon.
I can fix it right away. I did it! Dump your freaking droid and get iPad Mini 3. I am not fan a of apple at all but it works far better than droid.

I can fix it right away. I did it! Dump your freaking droid and get iPad Mini 3. I am not fan a of apple at all but it works far better than droid.
I will not, I have all my files and apps at Android, I don't care about Apple and they expensive products...

Reactions: louforgiveno
Got also the closing app 1.12. Got the old 1.10 version stil on my shield downloaded and now uses the old one and no more crashes sinds then.

This has been reported on the DJI FB page, it is NOT the pilot app, it is the stupid Google play store and download manager crashing. I hate Google with a passion, **** bloatware. So glad I run IOS for the pilot app, three more flights today testing Shou screen recorder, all is good.
No it's google play services, specifically the GPS component which the DJI app is calling. Not really bloatware as the DJI app makes calls to it for its mapping on Android tablets. No other mapping app will cause the app to crash or use so much CPU - the DJI app needs to be fixed

Reactions: nhoover
No it's google play services, specifically the GPS component which the DJI app is calling. Not really bloatware as the DJI app makes calls to it for its mapping on Android tablets. No other mapping app will cause the app to crash or use so much CPU - the DJI app needs to be fixed
Well, I knew it had something to do with Google play in some way, why would Google allow an app that crashed its services to be distributed through it's store?? At least Apple vetts every app on it's app store, and will yank any that mess with your system. If Google pulled it then it would force DJI to re-write it via a flood of angry customers. I have a Chromebox as a media streamer with kit-kat, nothing but problems, dumped kit-kat for OpenELEC and no more problems.

Why?... DJi marketed this thing as it can be used with an Android device.

Their (DJi) position changed to only good on certain Android devices, now its only good on certain Android devices where the only thing running is the DJi Pilot app.

Well, I knew it had something to do with Google play in some way, why would Google allow an app that crashed its services to be distributed through it's store?? At least Apple vetts every app on it's app store, and will yank any that mess with your system. If Google pulled it then it would force DJI to re-write it via a flood of angry customers. I have a Chromebox as a media streamer with kit-kat, nothing but problems, dumped kit-kat for OpenELEC and no more problems.

I doubt either Apple or Google vet every app in the manner you think they do - and it doesn't happen to all users, or on all devices.

I doubt either Apple or Google vet every app in the manner you think they do - and it doesn't happen to all users, or on all devices.
Apple does vett every app for compatibility with IOS and other apps, I am a registered Apple beta tester and they are always sending me apps, I am supposed to use every function and report any issues. I am sure there are thousands of beta testers and different groups get different apps to test, but they are tested.

Apple does vett every app for compatibility with IOS and other apps, I am a registered Apple beta tester and they are always sending me apps, I am supposed to use every function and report any issues. I am sure there are thousands of beta testers and different groups get different apps to test, but they are tested.

Good try. That would mean every tester would need to buy a DJI Phantom 3 to adequately test the app. All this for one app in their store? Not buying it.

Guys, the tried and true workaround for lag, overheating and crashing on Android is:

Downgrading 'google play services'

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16777&page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this workaround.

The DJI Pilot app crashing randomly has happened several times now on my Nvidia Shield and also Galaxy S5. After reading up in the forum it seems this is happening across both android and ios devices with several flyers. Several things have been suggested like turning local video cache off, clearing the cache, bluetooth and wifi off. I've even cleared the cache and data in the app settings itself but still the app crashes now again, its always the same thing. "unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped"
Its not much of a problem as the app does reboot back to the camera view after a few seconds so you just remain calm and let go of the sticks, the worrying thing as you will see in the video is that the radar is incorrect when the app reboots! I have to move the transmitter around from left to right and after that the radar corrects itself. I could see this being a MAJOR problem if this happens to new flyers as they could think the quad is actually in another position. Look in the video and you can see how the radar dances around as i'm moving the tx before getting in the correct position. The rest of the flight was great with no more crashing app and the radar was spot on throughout.
I'm convinced this a firmware fault, running the latest firmware. App 1.1.0 direct from dji website and firmware 1.1.9
Recorded with the built in screen record on the Nvidia Shield.

This happened to me yesterday on my P3 Pro firmware 1.1.9. My first ever flight was perfect and flawless using iOS 8.4 on iPhone 6 Plus with the latest 1.2 app. Second battery I use my 2013 Nexus 7 which was recently completely reset and flashed from a blank slate with lollipop 5.1.1 and the latest pilot app. Just with you it crashed around the same time maybe with 40 percent battery remaining give or take and it came up with a similar error message as yours. It has to be a problem with the app, plain and simple.

Good try. That would mean every tester would need to buy a DJI Phantom 3 to adequately test the app. All this for one app in their store? Not buying it.
Not needed, in a case like this Apple coders look at the code of the app to make sure it is not going to do any harm to either the app store, or Apple devices, and plays nice with other apps. Apple doesn't care if the app actually works as intended, just so long as it doesn't do any harm. They could care less if you P3 flies on the app or not.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl