Pilot App crashing. "unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" Screen Record

Reaction score
The DJI Pilot app crashing randomly has happened several times now on my Nvidia Shield and also Galaxy S5. After reading up in the forum it seems this is happening across both android and ios devices with several flyers. Several things have been suggested like turning local video cache off, clearing the cache, bluetooth and wifi off. I've even cleared the cache and data in the app settings itself but still the app crashes now again, its always the same thing. "unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped"
Its not much of a problem as the app does reboot back to the camera view after a few seconds so you just remain calm and let go of the sticks, the worrying thing as you will see in the video is that the radar is incorrect when the app reboots! I have to move the transmitter around from left to right and after that the radar corrects itself. I could see this being a MAJOR problem if this happens to new flyers as they could think the quad is actually in another position. Look in the video and you can see how the radar dances around as i'm moving the tx before getting in the correct position. The rest of the flight was great with no more crashing app and the radar was spot on throughout.
I'm convinced this a firmware fault, running the latest firmware. App 1.1.0 direct from dji website and firmware 1.1.9
Recorded with the built in screen record on the Nvidia Shield.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Yes exactly same thing was happening with my 2013 Nexus 7.
Initially it tended to happen towards the end of longish flight say 10 minutes or more, but seemed to get gradually worse with the record being three crashes in one five minute flight.
I did a factory reset of the tablet which is time consuming and rather drastic when it seems to be something wrong with the app most likely - it did behave normally again just as it did initially.
Since then I'm clearing the video cache manually every other flight or so and not had the issue return yet.
It's not clear if that is the cause though.

It seems to be a software error, possibly stack overflow. That is where a program exits a routine without completing it and it may relate to one particular control. It might be adjusting camera exposure compensation, that control does seem to be a bit unpredictable. I watched the temperature today on my Nexus 7 but the app crashed at 64C CPU temperature and later was running fairly OK at 68C before crashing again.

I sent a email to dji about this, I recommend you to do the same to the problem can be solved faster. It's a bit annoying to have the app closing and getting data error all doing when doing a job...

Enviado do meu SHIELD Tablet através de Tapatalk

I've experienced the same error and results as the OP. Same versions of firmware and software android S5. I could still control the copter. I was not far away. Maybe 75 yards and altitude 100 ft. Anyone go back to the previous version of the pilot app yet?

It's been an issue since 2013 still no fix, everything I tried nada

I don't seem to be able to reproduce the problem on the ground.

It makes a mess of video because the camera tilts, as well as not pointing the camera properly. In this video disconnection happened after moving to the other side of the bridge. Video is unedited, having to change the cooling on my PC to water cooling. No wonder tablets have a problem.

The DJI Pilot app crashing randomly has happened several times now on my Nvidia Shield and also Galaxy S5. After reading up in the forum it seems this is happening across both android and ios devices with several flyers. Several things have been suggested like turning local video cache off, clearing the cache, bluetooth and wifi off. I've even cleared the cache and data in the app settings itself but still the app crashes now again, its always the same thing. "unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped"
Its not much of a problem as the app does reboot back to the camera view after a few seconds so you just remain calm and let go of the sticks, the worrying thing as you will see in the video is that the radar is incorrect when the app reboots! I have to move the transmitter around from left to right and after that the radar corrects itself. I could see this being a MAJOR problem if this happens to new flyers as they could think the quad is actually in another position. Look in the video and you can see how the radar dances around as i'm moving the tx before getting in the correct position. The rest of the flight was great with no more crashing app and the radar was spot on throughout.
I'm convinced this a firmware fault, running the latest firmware. App 1.1.0 direct from dji website and firmware 1.1.9
Recorded with the built in screen record on the Nvidia Shield.

Btw download the app directly from dji. It is different and has more features.

Btw download the app directly from dji. It is different and has more features.
Thats where the app is from, downloaded direct from dji! :rolleyes:

291gtus.jpg

Last edited:
This also happens on my Samsung s4, but only when the Phantom is on and isn't doing anything.

For example If I leave it turned on on the table with the motors off while I mess around with the settings or preview my shots (or not do anything at all) the app will crash within a few minutes.

This has never happened while flying. (maybe I'm just lucky?)
1.1.9 firmware, latest app, latest official Samsung rom.

Last edited:
This happens on my Nexus 2013 on just about EVERY flight. Running latest firmware, app, and Android Lollipop. It usually happens about 10 minutes into the flight. It only happens once per flight.

The first time it happened it caused a brief panic, as the P3 was quite far away. But the app has always recovered and I have not lost control. (Not yet, anyway.)

We really need to find a fix.

Last edited:
This happens on my Nexus 2013 on just about EVERY flight. Running latest firmware, app, and Android Lollipop. It usually happens about 10 minutes into the flight. It only happens once per flight.

The first time it happened it caused a brief panic, as the P3 was quite far away. But the app has always recovered and I have not lost control. (Not yet, anyway.)

We really need to find a fix.
Dji need not we, there is a problem with the app not with Android.

Dji need not we, there is a problem with the app not with Android.

Have you searched Google? It mite be the app, or it mite be an other app who knows...but is rampant with users that don't even use a drone. ??? Plausible deneyability for anyone's guess.

Some say it's Google services?

The most important thing is new users read that it comes right back, and I quote " right as rain" it's a nuance bug not fatal.

Have you searched Google? It mite be the app, or it mite be an other app who knows...but is rampant with users that don't even use a drone. ??? Plausible deneyability for anyone's guess.

Some say it's Google services?

The most important thing is new users read that it comes right back, and I quote " right as rain" it's a nuance bug not fatal.
I have everything I had before the update, so what changed is only the Android version...

So yes it's the dji Android app.

I have just accepted that it happens. Whats really annoying is after closing the app the tablet's screen doesnt turn back sometimes and I need to do a reset (power and middle button) to get it back on. I think it does this when the tablet is super hot.

I have everything I had before the update, so what changed is only the Android version...

So yes it's the dji Android app.

Tonight I tried disabling & reenabling the Android Download Manager as advised here: https://www.androidpit.com/process-com-google-process-gapps-has-stopped-fix

Afterwards I took the P3 out for a roughly 12-minute flight and did NOT get the error. But I'm not saying it's fixed just yet. I will go for a longer run tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm getting them all time with the nvidia shield tablet... Dji has been emailed, hope they fix it soon.

I'm getting them all time with the nvidia shield tablet... Dji has been emailed, hope they fix it soon.

That's odd, I've been told by other users with Shield it's one of the best FPV displays out there. Lollipop introduced a whole lot of memory issues with my Note 4. I'm wondering how much of this issue is related to OS/Device instability and how much the app/api hooks. No magic recipe of app/process killing, cache cleaning, background app allow seems to protect me from the dreaded crashes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20