Phantom as carry on luggage

Dead or fully charged, a LiPo batter is equally dangerous. The danger is due to the lithium. Not so much the electricity. Granted a shorted battery is a problem, but thats the case in any battery. A LiPo should never be allowed to be drained.

Not true. A dead LiPo has much less stored energy than one that is fully charged. Therefore, it cannot generate as much heat and may not be able to burst into flames when shorted if there is not enough stored energy left.

Carrying a copy of FAA rules sounds like a good idea just in case. Anybody have link to exact rule?

Doesn't matter. They don't care. Flew to Hawaii didn't even open my backpack.
I ordered the DJI hardshell backpack combo with my p3p. Planning on using it for carry on to Call on JetBlu. Did you use that backpack as well? I'm hoping it will be OK iI think it should be.

The rules are very simple..... Batteries must be in your carry on luggage.. Thats it... I took 5 Batteries to a recent trip to the Dominican Republic.. All fully charged(100%) inside safe lipo bags i got from Amazon.. Checked in my Vision+. TSA didn't even bother to ask about my batteries.....

Can you post a link to the lipo bags you used.

Reactions: ViperNuke
If you fly British Airways there is no need for any bags, you can take as many LiPo batteries as you want irrespective whether they are charged or not as long as these are taken on board with you.

Getting through security checks is one thing, but the real check is with the airline itself. Lithium batteries are considered dangerous goods and should be treated with respect. Each airline might be a bit different, but each will have a limit to what can be carried with you in the cabin. The Phantom batteries are allowed with certain conditions. First you must determine the watthour rating of the battery:

The P3P battery is 4480mAh, this translates to about 76.2 WattHour if you assume it’s voltage to be 17V

watt-hours = milliampere-hours × volts / 1000

4480mAh × 17V/ 1000 = 76.2Wh

This WH rating is acceptable under the following guidance from some airlines. Below are the guidelines for a major north American airline.

Note the fact that you can't put them in your checked baggage.
upload_2015-6-28_8-24-18.png

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you much!

Reactions: ViperNuke
Sorry- I should have said that is a US FAA rule about not more than 2 batteries that size in carry-on, and NO spare batteries in checked luggage (only the one in your drone).
This may be the rule but I fly all the time delta and AA keep all 4 of my batteries in my tradecraft case and on more that 15 flights now have never had a issue or even a second look on any flighs into USA or out of or any country ive been to
SORRY OLD PHOTO HAVENT TAKEN ONE OF THE P3 SET UO YET BUT ALMOST SAME SET UP
Case plain.jpg

Reactions: Darrell3
Since most phantom cases are designed to store the batteries in separate slots, LIPO bags are not required if transported in such a case. Also I would remove the battery from the body for transport. Also know the WattHour rating of the battery when you travel, just in case you're asked. See chart above.

When is comes to airlines, in almost every case (no pun), they won't know what's in the case, all they care about is that all carry on baggage meets the rules of the governing aviation body (FAA, DOT etc etc). If they ask for the case to be opened for any reason, it's just a really good idea to play by the rules, else the case and possible you won't be going on the flight. If caught out, the airline's main concern is on-time performance and they will remove you to ensure everyone else gets to the destination on time.

I agree with Julius. Doesn't matter. I've taken the drone on 2 international flights with full batteries. I had Mexican airport security look at it with some minor curiosity once but nothing more. TSA doesn't care nor does customs. Just pack it securely and don't let it get crushed in the overhead compartment.
May be it is a time to open Battery Manual and check it out

The rules are very simple..... Batteries must be in your carry on luggage.. Thats it... I took 5 Batteries to a recent trip to the Dominican Republic.. All fully charged(100%) inside safe lipo bags i got from Amazon.. Checked in my Vision+. TSA didn't even bother to ask about my batteries.....
Close! The FAA states maximum 2 batteries per passenger. You can also have one battery in your checked luggage installed in the drone.
As you can see form all the above posts most TSA people are clueless about this. I'd rather be careful than be stopped and have a battery taken away in case I meet a TSA person who knows the rules. AS drone become more popular, there may be more who know the rules.

Since most phantom cases are designed to store the batteries in separate slots, LIPO bags are not required if transported in such a case. Also I would remove the battery from the body for transport. Also know the WattHour rating of the battery when you travel, just in case you're asked. See chart above.

When is comes to airlines, in almost every case (no pun), they won't know what's in the case, all they care about is that all carry on baggage meets the rules of the governing aviation body (FAA, DOT etc etc). If they ask for the case to be opened for any reason, it's just a really good idea to play by the rules, else the case and possible you won't be going on the flight. If caught out, the airline's main concern is on-time performance and they will remove you to ensure everyone else gets to the destination on time.
I agree. See the attached PDF below for the actual FAA rules. I would rather be safe than miss a flight and/or lose a battery or two.

Attachments

• faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
    102.8 KB · Views: 194
The charge isn't what makes LiPos unsafe. Its the lithium! And a LiPo bag has little to nothing to do with preventing a short. They are designed to contain combustion and limit oxygen in case the battery bursts while charging.

Last edited:
You can rest assured, more questions will be coming from a TSA check point near you in the future. And if Homeland security issues a ban, they will not fly-- It can happen overnight. Today everyone is allowed and tomorrow that privilege is gone. Everyone that travels with the Phantoms, should take every precaution with regard to transporting the copter and batteries on an airline flight.

ViperNuke just answered my curious question about the number of batteries you can take. I'm flying to FL in the morning and planning on taking 3 batteries with my P3P. My plan is to conceal one in the aircraft and 2 in the backpack battery compartments unless someone advises me that one in the aircraft is not a good idea. Or....I can just put the 3rd one in my Fiance's carry on and leave 2 in the backpack?

Also, has anyone had any trouble from the TSA regarding props? (sharp objects) I did read on line where someone suggested putting those in checked luggage and not try to transport them in my carry on. I'd hate to get stopped for props in my carry on and couldn't fly unless I bought new props while in FL. I guess it would be safe to store them in my checked luggage just to be on the safe side. I'd still like to know if anyone has had any issues with props from TSA? Let me know. Thanks!

I took mine on the plane from NY to Florida in November. Carried on in a hard shell backpack with 4 batteries and spare props. No issues. It fit in the overhead compartment with no problem. They did 'swab' it when I left NY.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Darrell3
depends where you are going and what kind of plane... I have had issues with the airport people in Puerto Rico.. they love to rifle thru my baggage... watch them closely they are famous for stealing stuff out of your baggage... then one other time when leaving Bali the guy said I couldn't carry it on and it had to be checked... I put an extra lock on the case and it made it without issue... I always carry extra locks just for this and locking in a motel room.
If you start out on a big plane then on a connecting flight that has small planes like in the caribbean you might have to check it in... sometimes they just take the case and put it in the area where the pilots keep their baggage...

I took mine on the plane from NY to Florida in November. Carried on in a hard shell backpack with 4 batteries and spare props. No issues. It fit in the overhead compartment with no problem. They did 'swab' it when I left NY.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sweet! Thanks for the info maddingomike!

depends where you are going and what kind of plane... I have had issues with the airport people in Puerto Rico.. they love to rifle thru my baggage... watch them closely they are famous for stealing stuff out of your baggage... then one other time when leaving Bali the guy said I couldn't carry it on and it had to be checked... I put an extra lock on the case and it made it without issue... I always carry extra locks just for this and locking in a motel room.
If you start out on a big plane then on a connecting flight that has small planes like in the caribbean you might have to check it in... sometimes they just take the case and put it in the area where the pilots keep their baggage...

I'm going from TN to FL and a Southwest Commercial plane and it'll be my carry-on so I don't think I'll have any issues....hopefully!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl