Phantom 4 Pro performance in high wind?

Reaction score
I did a roof image collect and orthomosaic collect of a distribution center property and the weather, although nice was a bit on the windy side 12-15 knots. I had both my P3A and newly acquired P4P. I used the P4P to take sample, roof images and was looking forward to seeing it run the ortho using Drone Deploy. However, the wind seem to physically rattled the drone at times (as if it were going to go down but it held in there) and of course, the high wind alert went off so much that I ended up using the P3A for the autonomous flight. (which performed beautifully at 20 mph). I am used to the P3A holding as firm as it can in the wind with just high motor noise letting me know there is a struggle lol.

Is it just me and getting comfortable with my new bird or am I missing something in the settings? I did have on the obstacle avoidance (which I didn't need since I was manually controlling it), if that had anything to do with what I was experiencing?

I would agree, wind seems to affect the P4P for sure. Camera, and flight. I flew down winds in 10 to 15 mph gusts, not an issue, but coming back with the gimbal level, a lot of props showing.

Since then, I have just made the point of gimbaling down if I am coming back into the wind and also attempting to tack back, which keeps the props from showing as much. I realize you can gimbal down to reduce it also, but sometimes that seems to ruin the view.

While hovering in the wind, no problems, very stable and no video or stills issues.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: Ty Alderdice
I flew yesterday in 10-15 mph winds with a couple of higher gusts. Flew to different altitudes as I was looking to see how my P4P worked in the winds. It did just fine. I did notice it tended to camber into the wind a bit, but otherwise flew like a champ.

Is it just me and getting comfortable with my new bird or am I missing something in the settings? I did have on the obstacle avoidance (which I didn't need since I was manually controlling it), if that had anything to do with what I was experiencing?
The P4 pro should handle winds at least as well as the P3.
Whatever your issue was, it wasn't a factor of the wind.

I think the P4P can handle winds up to 20-25mph fine, but IMO, it's not worth the hassle of filming in anything over 10-15mph. Also, I almost always cancel RTH, and fighting a head wind doesn't mix with that practice.

I've taken images in 25+ knot winds over the roof of an 11 story building (P3A) and they came out fine. Its not the camera that gave me pause, it was the aircraft itself. Even while hovering (P4P) 6 ft off the ground, it shook as it tried to hold its position during a sudden gust of wind. I was wondering if the sensors had anything to do with it.

I've taken images in 25+ knot winds over the roof of an 11 story building (P3A) and they came out fine. Its not the camera that gave me pause, it was the aircraft itself. Even while hovering (P4P) 6 ft off the ground, it shook as it tried to hold its position during a sudden gust of wind. I was wondering if the sensors had anything to do with it.
For whatever reason, the P4P isn't nearly as steady just off the ground, or water, but up a little higher, and it seems rock solid.

For whatever reason, the P4P isn't nearly as steady just off the ground, or water, but up a little higher, and it seems rock solid.
The reason for that will be the VPS trying to lock onto an unsuitable surface like grass or concrete.
Try disabling the VPS or fly higher than VPS range and you won't notice it.

I think the P4P handles the wind remarkably well but it does have its limits. Above about 15mph the video will tend to suffer but not so bad. At 20mph or higher it's not worth it. Even at lower wind speeds like 10-15mph if it's gusty that can be a big problem as far as video is concerned. Finally, at higher wind speeds like 20mph or higher you can easily get into a situation where you can't make it back due to a headwind. If that happens you might think about descending a bit and changing course to see if that helps. About this time last year I was flying around a reservoir here in Utah and it was windy, really windy. The video was kind of jumping around, but the real problem was trying to get back home into the headwind -- at full throttle I was doing less than 5mph and my battery was running down. I turned about 30 degrees and descended and was able to get up to a bit over 10mph but I did make it back.

If it's windy plan to cut you trip shorter than normal.

Brian

I have a video shoot tonight and the forecast says 17mph winds. I'll cross my fingers that it's not too gusty. The good thing is that I only need to go 100' up or so.

I usually check here- windytv.com : Windy as forecasted
before any major flights or jobs. Zoom into your area and pay attention to the wind direction.
This is a great tool.
Start your shooting by flying into the wind - or plan it so you can - then as it gets time to return, the wind is helping you, not fighting.

Had a few close calls early on with my P3P when I didn't realize I was in 21mph winds around dusk. I was almost 1600' away and only then realized the wind was at my back.
Had to fight my way back to Homepoint. Barely made it.
So now I make the wind work for me.

Once did some after dusk fireworks shots and was pretty far away - but my return speed was like 45MPH because of the tail wind....
Almost overshot my position. But didn't.

I don't like to fly in 20+mph if I can help it.

Turns out it was no problem (but I will check out that link). The winds dropped down to 15/16 mph with very few gusts. It was a fireworks display. I was shooting from around 200' AGL for most of it and the video turned out great. Very smooth!

When I dive I do what is suggested == go out against the current so that on the way back when I am getting tired the current just carries me back to the boat.

Another thing to consider when flying around buildings, is that the wind direction and velocities change and the craft needs to compensate and it may take a few feet to do it in. I have 4 buildings in my yard, house, garage,work shop and gazebo and when I get close and low between the structures when it's windy my P4 gets tossed a bit. It's still amazing how fast these birds can adjust.

Last edited:
The reason for that will be the VPS trying to lock onto an unsuitable surface like grass or concrete.
Try disabling the VPS or fly higher than VPS range and you won't notice it.

I'll try that. It just seemed as though, it wasn't built well (which I really dont think is the case); there was some sort of conflicting mechanisms/ software glitch; or was getting some micro turbulence that was giving it some real havoc. Maybe I didn't describe what I was seeing well enough. I expect for the bird to pitch a bit and fight to stay in/ come back to the position it's placed and hearing the motors whine while doing it in stronger winds, but what I saw that day was the whole body of the P4P shake and make a rattle noise like it was going to break apart or just go down.

I appreciate everyone's input! Good stuff guys!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12